Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running Shoe Replacement
Quote | Reply
Ok, I loved the Zoom Fly 3 as a regular training shoe. It's gone (as is the way with all shoes you love, right?). I have a pair of the Air Zoom Tempo Next % or whatever the supposed replacement is and it just does not run like an "everyday" trainer to me.

Have just tried the Ultraboost 21 and that will be going back.

Am I just uber spoiled by shoes with a plate and "advanced" foam?

My rotation right now is:

Saucony Endorphin Speed - kind of an everyday trainer, have gone through a few pairs of these
Saucony Endorphin Pro - workouts and longer runs with quality. actually like these more than the speeds
Nike Air Zoom Tempo Next % - workout shoe, runs a little "clomp-y" not sure how best to describe that
Saucony Endorphin Shift - i dislike this shoe quite a bit and use it only when doing shorter or easier runs
Nike Zoom Fly 3 - i have 3 pairs of these all with 300+ miles that i just can't give up, even though i probably should
Nike Vaporfly Next $% - races, time trials (so far have only been used for 5k's x 3)

What I've tried:

NB Fresh Foam 1080 v11 - i actually liked this shoe, but the heel cup rubbed me quite strongly on one foot, such that it left a bruise after a 10mi run so they had to go
Adidas Ultraboost 21 - these just feel, blah. definitely not worht $180
Pegasus Turbo 2 - liked these a lot and went through probably 5-6 pairs of them

anybody got any good recommendations?

ETA - just saw the thread on the 361 Flame, I will almost certainly be giving those a try.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Feb 18, 21 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try the:

NB tempo
361 Sensation 4
Adidas Solar glide instead of the ultraboost for a day in day out
Hoka clifton, clifton edge, elevon or rincon
Asics Novablast
Brooks Hyperion tempo (fwiw I really like this shoe)

LMk if you need me to send any up to try on. I know a guy up there that can get them back to me haha

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skechers Gorun MaxRoad 4+: super cushy but has a really nice pop, super light, ugly as hell and the upper is mediocre at best. makes for a great high-mileage training shoe and I still feel good in it after being spoiled by the Next%/Alph (most other shoes just feel flat without that spring)
Altra just came out with Rivera which is a few mm thicker than the Escalante and a new upper. the Escalante is a great shoe but too minimalist for me and terrible upper. But I haven't tested it yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
You might try the:

NB tempo
361 Sensation 4
Asics Novablast

LMk if you need me to send any up to try on. I know a guy up there that can get them back to me haha

+1 on The hyperion tempo. Great shoe. I Also like saucony kinerva’s. I am currently on kinerva 10- like it! Also- for what seems to be your preference, rincon or elevon probably also are great! Listen to DD:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested in following this thread & what other people have experienced.

I had the 4% knit when they came out in 2018 and did not like them - unstable, felt like my heel was barely being held in.

From there I went to the Carbon X's. Loved them at the time but after the honeymoon period they felt flat and I was looking for something with more of a responsive ride.

After trying other super-shoes I found the Brooks Hyperion Elite 2's. They're like the Carbon x's cool cousin who invested in in $GME early and does real-estate on the side when he's hanging out at the local soho house. Very responsive without the wishy-washy feeling that I felt with the 4%.

For trainers, I had the clifton's but after the new iteration they feel like a lumber truck. Since moved to the Rincon's. They work for slow stuff but still feel a little heavy and bulky whenever the pace goes under 6:15ish. Would love to try something new.. Pegs? idk...
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Altra just came out with Rivera which is a few mm thicker than the Escalante and a new upper.

It's a bit firmer than the Escalante which imo is pretty soft. Although to be fair I haven't tried on the Escalante in a bit. The uppers seem nice. We just got it in a few weeks ago, sold a few pair, it's not flying off the shelf though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

Altra just came out with Rivera which is a few mm thicker than the Escalante and a new upper.

It's a bit firmer than the Escalante which imo is pretty soft. Although to be fair I haven't tried on the Escalante in a bit. The uppers seem nice. We just got it in a few weeks ago, sold a few pair, it's not flying off the shelf though.

I can't imagine any Altra shoe ever will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the NB 1080 you might try the Mizuno Wave Horizon. It is a max cushioned shoe with a really good sock liner. You won’t have heel rub problems. I am very sensitive to changing out my shoes regularly and have gotten about 600 miles out of each of my first three pair, and I run almost exclusively on concrete. List price is $160 but I just bought the current version on Amazon for $120. Good luck with your search!
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
desert dude wrote:
You might try the:

NB tempo
361 Sensation 4
Asics Novablast

+1 on The hyperion tempo. Great shoe. I Also like saucony kinerva’s. I am currently on kinerva 10- like it! Also- for what seems to be your preference, rincon or elevon probably also are great! Listen to DD:-)

I've made a bad habit out of listening to DD for a long time.

I am a hard "no" on Hokas while I am <40yo. Asics lost me a long time ago. I am curious about the Brooks and the 361 lineup, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very similar rotation. A shoe not on your list that may be worth checking out in late March is the NB Fuel Cell Rebel 2. You seem to enjoy north of 6 mm drop and around 7-8 ounces in weight with a soft but not squishy ride. The rebel 1's were really nice but the upper was a little underwhelming. They have addressed this issue with the 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pR55hrUcXU

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Novablast isn't the Asics of year to years ago.

It's bouncy, cushiony and feels really good under foot. It's pretty fast as well, easy transition from midstance through toe off. I'd put it on par with some of the other not quite super shoes for speed

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using a similar rotation lately. Mid foot/fore foot striker

Pegasus Turbo 2 - long runs and tempo runs
Zoom Fly - used differently generations for tempo for runs over the years but ditched them when I ‘found’ the Turbo 2
Altra Instinct - shorter easier runs
4% - for races

I tried the Hoka Bondi 6 for a hundred miles or so. Hated them and ended up with Achilles’ tendon issues

I recently picked up Sketchers Go Run Ride 8 recently have have liked them down non-tempo stuff. Though part of the reason I like it is probably because I I am a cheapskate and found them for $70.

I’ve been wanting a to try the endorphins speed as a replacement for the Turbo 2 (which nike unfortunately is discontinuing) which I see you’ve been running in

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Infinity React

I love the next%— if you like that shoe, this feels like a much softer, everyday trainer version
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, I've always run in Altra primarily the Escalante but haven't like the v2 & v2.5. I tried Carbon X and Vapor Fly and ran fast especially the Vapor Fly. But toe box was too narrow and I got blisters on the side of my big toes in both. Any suggestions on a wider toe box running shoes other than Altra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d add the Skechers Razor3 to the list. It’s ugly but the hyperburst is great and the shoe is nice and light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
You might try the:

NB tempo
361 Sensation 4
Hoka clifton, clifton edge, sports gambling in Canada https://parimatch-canada.com/ elevon or rincon
Asics Novablast

NB Tempo are the best shoes I ever tried.
Last edited by: karla: Feb 24, 21 1:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked the zoom fly's. They were firm and light. I've switched to the Brooks Hyperion Elite 2 for a similar feel but sometimes feel a bit guilty about using a higher end racing shoe for training. They feel really good for my wider feet, they are light and make me want to run, which ultimately should help me run better even if I might be spending extra money. At least they aren't as expensive as the high end Nike shoes. I've got about 200 miles in them and they are holding up well other than they seem to get dirty quickly and I've had to wipe them off a bit more than normal. I think it's the light grey color is almost too white.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [tridadsask] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asics Novablast without a doubt the best daily trainer to replace the Zoom fly 3.
It's easier on the legs and more versatile.
You can do every type of run in it if you need to. The only downside might be if you need stability in the shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up deciding to get?

I had ordered a pair of Endorphin Speed from my LRS in early March but they haven’t gotten their Saucony shipment in yet. So I decided while I wait for those to order online the Next% Tempo as they are the replacement to the Pegasus Turbo.

Two runs in and I’m not really a fan. While there are some nice things about them they do feel a little clompy as you mention. Worse is that they are tearing up my Achilles due to the top of the heel cup.

Might give them one more run to see but I think I might try and exchange them for something else. Thinking the Brooks Hyperion Tempo or maybe the Endorphin Pro

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Apr 7, 21 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some of the Hoka Mach 4 (yes, yes, I know I said no Hoka haha) and they are actually legit. So far I'm def a fan of those for an "everyday" non fancy shoe.

Consider me surprised and impressed. And happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely gonna like NB Tempo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you get a chance, try topo athletic zephyr.

they have a plate, although for stability, the toe box lets you splay your feet in their entirety, the mesh is lightweight and feels good around the top of your feet, pretty good grip, even in wet conditions, and have a 5mm drop. i have not found a more comfortable running shoe. i've tried every kind of trainer and this is by far my favorite. i ran for the past few years in hokas, but felt constricted b/c the toe box seemed too narrow.

as trainers, they may seem slower (and they prob are), but they're not racing shoes. also, it takes a break in period of something like 20-30 miles before they are not too stiff.

i've had no issues with achilles, pf, or other injuries that i've had in the past. for faster running, i've got the topo flyte (3). besides the bigger toe box, they conform to both your feet and the ground quite well. but, you're asking for a trainer and not a shoe to run fast in. :P
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I had ordered a pair of Endorphin Speed from my LRS in early March but they haven’t gotten their Saucony shipment in yet.

Thinking the Brooks Hyperion Tempo or maybe the Endorphin Pro

Saucony was supposed to start shipping Endorphin Speeds out was yesterday, 4/7. Haven't been in to check to see if that actually happened. Fingers crossed as I've got athletes and customers wanting to get into these shoes. My guess is next week though if I was betting.

I think you'll like the hyperion tempo's and the endorphin speeds from what everyone I know has been saying. I can't wait to try out my hyperion speeds, need to get a bit more speed in the old legs (and I do mean old...sigh)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 8, 21 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Replacement [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
Brian, I've always run in Altra primarily the Escalante but haven't like the v2 & v2.5. I tried Carbon X and Vapor Fly and ran fast especially the Vapor Fly. But toe box was too narrow and I got blisters on the side of my big toes in both. Any suggestions on a wider toe box running shoes other than Altra?

Just seeing this post. Hopefully it's not too late for the next pair. One option would be finding a shoe you like then ordering a 2E which is wider. It's going to be hard to find a wider stock toebox than Altra. I have 2E forefeet and narrow heels so I feel your toebox pain as I suffer through that bc a 2E is just too wide on my heels.

You could try the 361 Sensation 4s, they seem to have a nice toe box, 9mm drop iirc.
Nike Invincible might be an option
NB 1080 - my wide footed customers love this shoe bc the upper is so flexible/stretchy reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJjyyJtjn1k

You could try the Clifton Edge or Clifton both of which come in 2E

Unfortunately a lot of these cool, sort of hybrid racing/training shoes don't come in 2E (or 4E).

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the Asics Novablast you suggested to me a few weeks ago. Thanks for the recommendation.

Fits like every other Asics shoe I've worn, lighter than expected and not as cushiony (if that's a word) as expected. It's a moderately firm shoe that's easy to run on.

I like the curved sole, I think it helps me roll off my toes better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next