Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running Hat
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a new running hat for once warm/hot weather rolls around. I sweat a lot and challenged in the hair department so a visor won't work because I would get a wonderful sunburn. Any suggestions for a full hat that works in hot weather?
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [just du it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went for a Raidlight hat a few years ago.
They do them with and without the 'legionaires' flap. The flap can be taken off too if its not your thing.
(I get burned pretty easily so like the flap when its really hot. Function before fashion for me )

https://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/...166=2799&165=323

They are 1 size fits all. I've a reasoably large bonce but not huge (59cm by tape measure for a bike helmet) and its Ok (though ideally maybe could do with it a little smidge more volume).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know people actually bought running hats. I thought they were just something that were handed out at races.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Boco

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your coach didn't give you one?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Your coach didn't give you one?

Trucker hats are more promotional than functional

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I didn't know people actually bought running hats. I thought they were just something that were handed out at races.

At one point I counted 43 in my front closet but I'm sure there are more than that now. They are one thing I keep as a souvenir from races. Other than a couple of hats that a dog destroyed, I have almost every race hat I've ever gotten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like headsweats.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually quite like the Boco gear "running trucker" for actually running. Great hat.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of trucker hats on an Ironman course would show different.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patagonia has some nice running hats, lightweight, fast drying. Headsweats also.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

This. I have about 50 of them at this point that I rotate through. I think I might have actually bought about 5 of them. The rest came from various giveaways at races or expos
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried visors? I prefer visors over hats. It's open so I cool down better. I use 2XU sun visors. One size fits all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite running hats are the Salomon XA Cap

https://www.zappos.com/...-cap/product/8279548

I have 4. I wash it with the rest of my laundry every time I wear them for a workout. They hold up well to wear and tear.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My not quite bald spot doesn’t get along well with visors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically like headbands or visors, but I have one of these and it's great:

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/headwear/products/skin-cooler-run-cap-with-pocket

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
I typically like headbands or visors, but I have one of these and it's great:

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/headwear/products/skin-cooler-run-cap-with-pocket

I second this. If you're looking for gear that performs well in hot weather, you are actually looking for Skincooler gear, and it's made by De Soto. I have this hat in black and white. I like the fit (find that I look less ridiculous then some other hats I've tried) and it's light and airy.

I have a BOCO hat that I like as well, but it's not what I use in extreme heat.
Last edited by: toastygloveman: Mar 26, 19 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be awesome if some of these came in a L/XL size. I like the Boca that I got at a race, but it's too small.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The amount of trucker hats on an Ironman course would show different.

Good point
Gotta pimp the sponsors

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used many mentioned int this thread...Boco, Ciele, Patagonia, and Solomon. All good hats. I have a shaved head and medium fair skin (i.e., burn without sunscreen, ok with sunscreen on). I used to think I needed a full coverage hat because I thought I would burn through mesh vent holes. Turns out to be no issues as long as I have some sort of coverage.

My favourite is the Boco technical trucker (more structured). The Patagonia duckbill trucker hat is another one I really like and has a softer, more open weave mesh that I find a bit cooler than the traditional mesh on the Bocos; but the brim is a bit small/narrow if you have a bigger head (size L for bike helmets). Ciele's are great if you like an unstructured shape and lots of cool colour options. The Solomon XA (and similar shaped Boco run hats given out to IM finishers lately) have way too much brim curve and interfere with my sunglasses so I only wear those for rainy or low-light runs.

FWIW, I am a very heavy sweater, and all of these hats do a good job of keeping sweat out of my eyes. They all wash out well with a quick rinse and hang dry after each use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to Ironman finisher hats. It's nice to have something that you can't just walk into a store and buy. Call me a douche if you'd like, but I also feel faster and more proud wearing one.

I like the older headsweat ones better than the new ones. So my suggestion is to travel back in time, do an Ironman, and wear your badass vintage Ironman finisher hat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basic, cheap trucker hats do the trick. Well ventilated and you can fill them with ice on the course if necessary. Has saved me a few times. Particularly over tight-fitting finisher caps that don't seem to dry, provide any ventilation or room for ice.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
ICall me a douche if you'd like...

OK, you're a douche

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best "running" cap is a boonie hat a buddy of mine gave me about 20 years ago. Looking online, I would guess that the one I have is called Vintage Vietnam style (mine is tan, but lot's of other colors are available). It is awesome because it covers the ears and provides a bit of shade to the neck, is durable as can be (I have raced and trained in mine for 15 years with no signs of wear), has a tie to keep it on, and all you need to do is throw it in the wash and let it hang dry. .
Quote Reply
Re: Running Hat [PatMcNichol61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PatMcNichol61 wrote:
My best "running" cap is a boonie hat a buddy of mine gave me about 20 years ago. Looking online, I would guess that the one I have is called Vintage Vietnam style (mine is tan, but lot's of other colors are available). It is awesome because it covers the ears and provides a bit of shade to the neck, is durable as can be (I have raced and trained in mine for 15 years with no signs of wear), has a tie to keep it on, and all you need to do is throw it in the wash and let it hang dry. .

Like ...???

Quote Reply

Prev Next