Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Form Question
Quote | Reply
I was reading Gordo Byrn's/Friel's book, "Going Long," excellent book, by the way. There is a segment in it referring to correct running form and posture and "striding." It's clear that in most of the books, Dave Scott, and Salazar's books, the correct idea is to roll off your heel and push off on the "big toe," which all seems natural enough, EXCEPT, no one has addressed this issue.

This is hard to explain, but when you push off the big toe, do you make your foot and ankle extend back or point back behind your leg, in that short moment in the stride, like you were foot was about to punt a football?

There seems to be an additional muscle or tendon or something in the ankle or arch, adding some forward push here, or is it proper just keep the foot and ankle relatively stiff after you push off on the big toe. Granted in every case in which you push off your big toe, there will be some angling back of the foot, I guess my question is, is it right to exaggerate the foot or arch muscles in the "push off."
Quote Reply
Re: Running Form Question [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same question, and asked Gordo and a local running guru that I know. The universal answer seems to be, NO, do not try to launch yourself off your toe. Simply "think about it." You can do excercises and drills to strengthen up that extension. Hill bounding is the classic Lydiard excercise -- go up short steep hills with an exaggerated high springing step launcing off a pointed toe. Boing...boing...boing... As soon as your HR climbs or legs burn, stop, walk it off and repeat.

From Lydiard (in support of what Scott and Friel/Byrn say):

"Do not run on your toes...by which I mean, do not land on the forepart of the feet. When you are running aerobically...the centre of gravity is slow getting over the leading foot, so if you land on the forepart of the feet, you are getting too much traction on landing and actually developing a stopping motion. ...It is most economical and natural to come down with a nearly flat foot and a slight roll in from the outside edge."

Continue that roll and come off the ground on your big toe. But do not make a little "oomph" off your toe, or you won't be running for very long.
Quote Reply