Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running - chased by a pack of dogs
Quote | Reply
I recently moved out to a rural area of North Carolina, think cornfields and cow pastures as far as the eye can see. It's moderately rolling, few cars, and good for running or cycling. On my run route, at around mile 3 there is a scattering of mobile homes and a pack of 5 pretty mean dogs that run out snarling, barking and nipping at me. This has happened twice now in a couple months. Last week I called animal control and they said they sent an officer out to the property (this county has some kind of a leash law). My question is, what should I do in the future for protection? Carry a big stick? Would that just encourage them? Carry mace or bear spray? Run with a pistol? (this is a joke- though If I shot a dog, the rednecks in the trailer would likely come and shoot me). I suppose this is even more dangerous for cyclists, though I haven't ridden my bike down this road yet. So far SCREAMING at them has kept them back, but I'm not sure this method is effective long-term.

Looking for successful strategies that don't get me bit, jailed, or killed, and I'd prefer to not change my run route.
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I would recommend running a different route. I know people will say you should be able to go wherever you want blah blah blah... however, is it really worth putting yourself in harms way with 5 dogs?
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:
Honestly I would recommend running a different route. I know people will say you should be able to go wherever you want blah blah blah... however, is it really worth putting yourself in harms way with 5 dogs?

This is the kind of thing that has enabled entitled people to take over the US, minority rule. Making it non-PC to enforce or control bad behavior.

Carry protection at the next interaction (mace or something), and video tape it. Then, immediately call the cops/sheriff. File suit/charges against the owners. If anything, list the cost of the mace.

I'm so tired of hearing about people rolling over and letting human filth run our country because we're too PC to deal with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cracking first reply haha... carry a weapon!

Seriously get a grip. Talk about first world problems. You live in America, it’s massive! There is literally so much land to run on, why put yourself in harms way?

If it was something that really mattered I’d say yeah do something about it, but let’s face it, it’s just a running route. It’s fun to explore, the OP could find a new route, it may even be better.
Last edited by: t1mmy: Jun 17, 19 5:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think of it as free speed work.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get you on trying to deal with the problem instead of finding another route, but what does any of it have to do with people being PC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I recently moved out to a rural area of North Carolina, think cornfields and cow pastures as far as the eye can see. It's moderately rolling, few cars, and good for running or cycling. On my run route, at around mile 3 there is a scattering of mobile homes and a pack of 5 pretty mean dogs that run out snarling, barking and nipping at me. This has happened twice now in a couple months. Last week I called animal control and they said they sent an officer out to the property (this county has some kind of a leash law). My question is, what should I do in the future for protection? Carry a big stick? Would that just encourage them? Carry mace or bear spray? Run with a pistol? (this is a joke- though If I shot a dog, the rednecks in the trailer would likely come and shoot me). I suppose this is even more dangerous for cyclists, though I haven't ridden my bike down this road yet. So far SCREAMING at them has kept them back, but I'm not sure this method is effective long-term.

Looking for successful strategies that don't get me bit, jailed, or killed, and I'd prefer to not change my run route.

I have used this a few times on runs and on the bike. Seems to turn them around.

Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
I get you on trying to deal with the problem instead of finding another route, but what does any of it have to do with people being PC?

PC was the wrong word or phrase.

It made sense at the moment, but doesn't now.

And, to be honest, if it was me it wouldn't be a war unless it was part of a favorite route, or it really was detrimental to what I wanted to do. On the bike, I have favorite places I go that include hills. If I couldn't do my favorite hill because of a dog pack, I wouldn't let it go.

Rural areas may seem like your oyster to go where you want, like there's always another road or something. But that isn't the case. Sometimes if you want to go anywhere in a certain cardinal direction you are forced to take a certain road to get there.

Business idea for the bike.......rear facing pepper spray mounted like a bike light that's activated by a covered button on the handlebars. Lift the cover, depress. Win. Bond style.
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

I love this reply. But considering most average dogs can easily run up to a mile faster than any human in history, this would probably not work out for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:

I totally agree. I was circled by a pack of dogs while running in Turks. They were snarling, showing their teeth and lunging at me. I realized at that moment they could rip me to shreds. A passing car saw it and came to my rescue. I would NEVER run that way again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
But considering most average dogs can easily run up to a mile faster than any human in history, this would probably not work out for me.

Exactly. But this also means they aren't really serious, since they haven't caught you. Get some pepper spray and train them to keep their distance if you really feel threatened.

Another option would be to get the owners phone number and ask them to lock up the dogs when you are going to be running by.
EDIT: Oh... you've already called the "cops" on them. I think that was a big mistake! I don't understand this behavior unless you want to make enemies. Talk to them like a normal human and be nice. I've found that pretty much everyone is reasonable if you show a little friendliness and respect.
Last edited by: rruff: Jun 17, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An option besides pepper spray might be Pet Corrector spray (basically compressed air). Dogs absolutely hate that stuff and it won't rely on your aim with the pepper spray, can be effective on all five at once. Of course, it might not work in that particular situation, I'm not a dog expert.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you go to petsmart or whatever your local pet store you'll find doggy pepper spray. works great. solves your problem. honestly, a water bottle full of water would also likely work. but the pepper spray is lightweight, and guaranteed to work.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:

I'd do both. Those aren't the only 5 untethered dogs in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry a baggy of doggie snacks. They'll come out wagging next time.

Or an air horn. I have one that I can recharge with a floor pump. Not so unobtrusive to carry, but you'll likely only need to use it once.

When I was running in my old rural home town in high school, dogs were just a daily thing. Pretty much all I'd have to do is bend over like I was picking up a rock, and they'd turn tail. Rarely ever did I have to actually pick one up and throw it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are responsible dog owners and there are assholes. These people are the latter. Unfortunately they get away with it because dog control won't do anything until you're attacked. Mace and pepper sprays work but be prepared for the owners to get seriously pissed. Think.. chase you off in a pickup truck with or without shotgun to menace, then you'd better be recording it.

I've never done this but thought about it often.. ride or run by so that the dogs come out and tag team with a buddy who drives by at that moment and runs a couple of them over. Obviously it can only be a "coincidence" once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trust me......pepper spray works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

Just use it as a speed workout.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Lol, or just run with a slow friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Running - chased by a pack of dogs [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
There are responsible dog owners and there are assholes. These people are the latter.

You aren't the OP, so how do you know that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
ripple wrote:
There are responsible dog owners and there are assholes.

how do you know that?

I do not own a dog. That may or may not refute his point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this thread. I've been bitten twice and I'm just not a dog person. I was recently chased by a German Shepherd who was coming at me full steam from a ravine I was running by. I had my headphones in and it was near the end of my long run so I was sweaty and tired but when I heard loud barking, I turned my head and there he was....a full grown dog on the hunt. I started yelling while getting ready for a fight then out of nowhere a voice came and called him back. He was part of a dog-walkers crew and thankfully he decided to listen to his walker. Long story short, I went on the online hunt for convenient repellent gear and came to the conclusion that in the event of an attack, it's extremely unlikely I'd be able to pull out whatever I brought and am best off with the yell/scream/act big and scary approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total bullshit! God forbid a kid goes by on his bike and gets mauled. Keep calling the cops/animal control until they do something. Irresponsible dog owners are the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
ripple wrote:
There are responsible dog owners and there are assholes. These people are the latter.

You aren't the OP, so how do you know that?
Dog owners that let their pack of dogs accost an individual on a public road are assholes. It's BS to the person, and not really fair to the dogs either. Do the work to put in an electric fence.

-dog owner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I lived in rural NC and many other places in the backwoods as well as cities. Have never seen the sort of payback carried out like in the back woods.

Similar situation but dogs chased a woman on a bike. Her husband went back waking past the trailers. Dogs came out. He bear sprayed them all. They ran off

Two days later the guy comes out of his house and his own dog is dead on his porch with a rope around its neck. Country justice and injustice is often swift and unforgiving.

I would run a different route
Quote Reply

Prev Next