Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running/Commuting backpack reco, Osprey?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a minimalist pack that I can run to work, go on hikes/adventure runs (Salomon Adv Skin 5 is my race/train run pack), and bike commute.
Would carry work clothes, small lunch and dress shoes, although I could probably leave the shoes at work.
Probably even use it as a carry on for flying.

Looking at Osprey Talon 11, or Raptor 14. I think both are pretty snug and work well for running.
They seem VERY similar except for minor features and size.
Any comments or suggestions?
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Oct 3, 19 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Running/Commuting backpack reco, Osprey? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to double check when I get home but I believe I have an Osprey 11. Bought it years ago for a camping trip in Mueller State Part actually. I've also used it as carry on for travel and it works great to shove a bunch of clothes in there which is much nicer to deal with when I don't have to lug my work laptop bag around for personal travel. (note for work travel I have one of those TSA approved zip out swiss bags where I don't have to take out my laptop).

Like that it has a spot that is insulated for a camelbak type bladder to fit in there which is great for long hikes/camping. Could also double up for longer rides for hydration. Plenty of room and very comfortable to wear for long periods (it is designed to flex/stretch so you can really cram it full and the bag will be fine). I've never actually gone running with it but it probably would be fine as long as you don't cram to much stuff in there weight wise. Had nice easy access pockets on the straps/sides to get small things out quick (like a multi-tool or snacks).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 3, 19 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Raven (women's version of Raptor) 10 and 14... use 10 for personal mtb'ing and 14 for coaching (ie have to carry kiddo emergency stuff).

Looking at the Talon, I'd probably be more apt to go with that as it holds the weight a little "flatter" to your back. The Raven really does stick out (think camel hump) when its loaded up and I would feel funny running with the weight carried like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had good experiences with packs that have a substantial waist belt. My best experiences have been with a strap system that contacts me only on the ribs. Like ultimate direction. Maybe just me. I probably run commute 100 days per year (so 200 trips) mostly in the winter (I ride in the summer). I haven't found the weight distribution to be that big of a deal for me. Perhaps because I am truly jogging, no aggressive pacing at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Running/Commuting backpack reco, Osprey? [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wondered what the subtle differences between the hiking and MTB'ing packs were. This makes sense.
Hiking: long, flat, narrow.
Biking: shorter, wider, fatter

I bought a Talon 11 locally so that I could take it home and test pack it. Pretty tight when fully packed with work gear, but doable.
It's too bad the Talon doesn't come in a 15. I have a 22 and it's much too large for run commuting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Osprey makes great packs. I have a Momentum 26 that I use when i commute or travel. I've had it for probably 8 years and it's still like new, even after a lot of use and abuse. It easily fits a laptop and a few days worth of clothes, a towel, and toiletries.

I also have a Raptor...i think it's the raptor 11. I haven't tried to stuff it with shoes, clothes, and a lunch sack, but i think if i did it would BARELY fit. If you could leave the shoes at work like you mentioned, then i think my 11 would easily carry the rest of what you mentioned. i don't commute with this bag because it won't fit a laptop. I originally purchased it for mountain biking, hiking, and endurance gravel races, but I like my camelbak chase better for those activities, so now the raptor pretty much goes unused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's always nice to have a couple of packs for different situations. I don't think you will be unhappy. The Talon 11 just might be your nice weather skimpy pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big fan of running with a backpack, although I'm nearly addicted to backpacks in general...the way some women are about shoes, lol, but situationally, I've done it enough to have some preferences.

A lot will depend on where you're going and what you'll need when you get there...the backpack for work that needs a change of clothes, shoes, and a towel is different from the one you'll need on a day trip that'll need more room for water, a wallet, and maybe snacks.

Personally, my 2 favorites are a simple Camelback (don't remember the model, but they're all very similar) and a Rudy Project take on the Camelback that I don't think they make anymore (they seem to have stopped making bags and clothing and focused on helmets and glasses, which is a shame).

For anything else, I LOVE Tortuga brand stuff. I've got 3 of their backpacks in varying sizes, and unless I'm going on a long trip, they're exclusively what I travel with. I actually went to Mt. Everest and back (Base Camp, not the Summit) with 2 carry-on sized Tortuga bags and still could have made do with less. They're comparable to Osprey and very high quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Summer run-in bag is a North Face Angstrom 20, recommended. Use it about 3-5 times a week running in...in fact, it could run into work by itself. Winter run-in bag is a larger variant to handle bulkier items and lunch.

My opinion only: You want a backpack that has both adjustable shoulder straps and a wide-ish waist strap. By waist strap...I am not talking those super wide ones you get on serious hikinig back packs (3-5 inches wide) I'm suggesting a waist strap in the may have some simple "wings" that taper into a single strap. Running with a backpack takes a little getting used to since the bouncing needs to be surpressed or reduced (hence the waist strap).

If you sweat...make sure you wash it on the regular. A bag can smell pretty ripe after a bit of Summer running...and using that as a carry on...you may notice your fellow flier sniffing the air.

Cheers
Collin
Last edited by: ATIS: Oct 3, 19 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend looking at Ultimate Direction vests. These vests are designed for running and work well for riding as well.

Full disclosure, I do work for the same company that owns UD, but I've been very impressed with the vests and bike commute with the SCRAM. It's a no frills pack, but has high functionality. I do have several Osprey packs, but I've happily traded up.

If you are running to work and carrying clothes, there are definitely some vests that can accommodate and provide stability in the pack as you run.

https://ultimatedirection.com/

jake

Get outside!
Last edited by: jakers: Oct 3, 19 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Running/Commuting backpack reco, Osprey? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the FKT. Will look into them more.
I think I'm looking for some goldilocks bag that doesn't exist.
Maybe I'll keep the Talon 22 for days when I need a lot of gear, and buy a 10-14L pack for run/hike stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the FKT and it's a great vest! Works really well.

I've done some really big hikes with it and carried far more than I would in a commute to work. They don't come with a bladder but are set up for them, I found my Osprey bladders transfer well.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply