Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run or rest?
Quote | Reply
I've got another race (1/3 length) coming up on saturday.
Unfortunately, since last monday I have some nagging pain/soreness in my right calve (muscle-related?). Had a race the day before, with a decent run (~38m 10k) without problems. Did one run last thursday which was trouble free until km 7. Did not run since then and my right leg remains sensitive.
Should I still do a run during this week, or just bike/swim train and hope that run-fitness isn't completely lost??
Quote Reply
Re: Run or rest? [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When in doubt, rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Provided you have any base whatsoever, you’re not going to lose any fitness in a couple of weeks. Rest and be careful not to seriously injure yourself in your race.

Kempenaer wrote:
I've got another race (1/3 length) coming up on saturday.
Unfortunately, since last monday I have some nagging pain/soreness in my right calve (muscle-related?). Had a race the day before, with a decent run (~38m 10k) without problems. Did one run last thursday which was trouble free until km 7. Did not run since then and my right leg remains sensitive.
Should I still do a run during this week, or just bike/swim train and hope that run-fitness isn't completely lost??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple.....Rest and heal
Quote Reply
Re: Run or rest? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest, rest and rest. When that happens to me, I need about 4 to 5 days to recover. Take BCAA and it should help a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sort of priority is this race? If it's not an A race and you're just doing it for fun, definitely rest. If it is an A race, I would give it a go (knowing that it may take significantly longer to recover after)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When in doubt, sit it out

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquajog.
Quote Reply
Re: Run or rest? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, seems all agree to rest instead of run!!
Race is a priority, targeting overall classification.
So I will just skip running during this week and hope this doesn't really impact my speed in the race.
(Bike&swim training doesn't cause any reaction so will stick to that).
Will let you all know how the race went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest.

Try and get in with a sports doc that could trouble shoot and recommend some PT to get you over the hump.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As promised, small race report. In the end, I did not run in the week before the race; besides the run injury I also was a bit ill from wed-fri so not a good week....
Race itself is a 1/3 format (1.3k swim - 60k bike - 14k run) with a quality field; a lot of Dutch and Belgian elites at the start.
Day started with good swim for me (20min / 1340m) and ok bike (1.27.45 / 60km), after T2 I was running at 6/7th place; however within 500mtr my right calve started acting up again. Tried some brief stretching a couple times but had to DNF shortly after (don't think any additional damage was done luckily)
Final race before summer is in 2 weeks; will def. not run during the first week and maybe do some very easy runs if everything is ok next week.
Yesterday i did a 3hrs MTB-ride, which is not giving any issues; think I will mix in a couple more rides as these work the upper-legs a bit more then road/tri-bike.
Quote Reply