Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,
I'm looking for any real life experience with helmets mentioned in subject of this post. I'm planning to get some aero helmet for full and middle distances in near future.
Of course any other recommendations more then welcomed.
Reg.,
J
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [Josef.Ch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only owned the Oakley Aro7 and the RP Wing. RP Wing is my preferred choice by a huge margin. More comfy, easy to put on and no fuss with the visor.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [Josef.Ch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden The Wing but it looks like it would fog very easily. If you look at the visor on the Oakley you will see they have significant vent/air flow holes at the top of the lenses like you see on most cycling specific glasses. This helps prevent/clear fogging and to give credit where it due Oakley are the experts on optics and know what they are doing in terms of visor design. If you look at other brands with a history of making helmets with visors like Bontrager, Giro or POC you will also see vents in the visors.

This circles back to Rudy's own marketing information on their website which states they found no difference between the use of integrated visors and sunglasses. In other words the visor on The Wing is a bit of gimmick and doesn't impact the aerodynamics of the helmet. Personally I wouldn't drop the $$$ on a integrated visor unless I thought it was actually a faster setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I haven't ridden The Wing but it looks like it would fog very easily. If you look at the visor on the Oakley you will see they have significant vent/air flow holes at the top of the lenses like you see on most cycling specific glasses. This helps prevent/clear fogging and to give credit where it due Oakley are the experts on optics and know what they are doing in terms of visor design. If you look at other brands with a history of making helmets with visors like Bontrager, Giro or POC you will also see vents in the visors.

This circles back to Rudy's own marketing information on their website which states they found no difference between the use of integrated visors and sunglasses. In other words the visor on The Wing is a bit of gimmick and doesn't impact the aerodynamics of the helmet. Personally I wouldn't drop the $$$ on a integrated visor unless I thought it was actually a faster setup.

No fogging issues with Wing at all.
Visor vs sunglasses is not only a matter of aerodynamics but also comfort and if extra comfort comes with no aero penalty, why wouldn't you go for it?
But to go back to the comparison Aro7 vs Wing and aerodynamics: the Wing is the clear winner here and the Aro7 is actually a slow helmet.
And in terms of comfort the Wing is a clear winner as well as far as I am concerned (but that is personal so better but both helmets on and compare for yourself).
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are racing me, please wear the RP. If you aren't my competition, then I would seek out some way to test these various helmets and pick the fastest one that fits your head properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
the Wing is the clear winner here and the Aro7 is actually a slow helmet.

is this proven with data or just conjecture?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
sgy wrote:

Proven with data. Aro7 was tested in windtunnel in Flanders in prep of hour record prep. It didn't make the short list.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
If you are racing me, please wear the RP. If you aren't my competition, then I would seek out some way to test these various helmets and pick the fastest one that fits your head properly.

Fully agree! RP Wing was the winner (for me). Happy to race anytime ;-)
Fit and comfort first!
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the aro7 and really like it. I have had a few giro and Rudy project helmets (not a wing) and never could get a good fit. I'm a big Oakley fan so take that in mind as I do have a big bias. I really wanted an aero helmet with a darkly tinted visor and there is not much out there. As you know the aro7 comes with two visors and they are both really nice. The mag buckle is really cool and super fast. I find the helmet very easy to get on and off and I have no issues with ventilation. All around its been my favorite aero helmet I have owned.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing vs. MET Codatronca vs. Oakley ARO7 [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
sgy wrote:

Proven with data. Aro7 was tested in windtunnel in Flanders in prep of hour record prep. It didn't make the short list.
Sam

This is a bit of a hyperbolic post. The oakley likely wasn't a fast helmet for that rider who was going for the record on the track.

If anything I've learned in my 100s of hours testing in the velodrome & wind tunnel it's there is no absolute sure fire magic bullet for everyone. The Giro aerohead is close but I've seen it lose to other helmets here and there.

You can make generalizations, such as the Wingspan is a top 3 helmet for up to 10% of the population, which it is based on >100 tests with that helmet. That's great if you fall in that 10%. It's bad if you love the RP and you're in the 90%.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these data available somewhere? What other helmets were compared?
Quote Reply