Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rowing Machines
Quote | Reply
Just found out I have a meniscus tear. Still can run, but will need a more balanced approach, which includes less running and more strength and flexibility. I have a trainer for the bike, and I do swim. I am looking for something convenient and efficient.

Have been doing some research about rowing machines. Seems like you get a good cardio workout, plus you use several of the muscle groups associated with running: hamstrings, glutes.

Anyone out there using one to supplement their training.

Been looking at "waterrowers"
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a cheap one at one time. It seemed like a fairly good workout.

The resistance was from some shock absorber type things that would get really hot. I could barely open my hand when I finished and was kind of afraid it would give me carpel tunnel syndrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used the Waterrower and it has been a while since I've been involved in the sport, but in my eyes there is only one option when it comes to rowing machines...

Concept2

Anything else is just a toy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:
Anyone out there using one to supplement their training.

Been looking at "waterrowers"

My wife & I own a club model of the IndoRow by WaterRower and are very pleased with it. Low maintenance & good supplementation for training.

The higher end models sport higher end computers (network interface for virtual racing, HR monitor, etc.), but the missus wasn't too keen on those features, so we went with something more simple.

Good luck in your search, possible purchase, and recovery from injury.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband was on the crew team in college. Their coach had them run. A lot. Rowing is a lot more leg then people may think. Most of them wound up doing marathons after college. Several are sub 3 hour guys.

Hopefully you'll have the same experience with rowing through your injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Concept2 ...Anything else is just a toy.
+1000. Get the data card version, so you can track results. Don't curl your back, or you'll be asking for trouble.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Feb 26, 14 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concept 2. The end.

As I have no rowing background, I researched indoor rowers extensively when I bought one 5 years ago. Anyone who knew rowing said this is what they trained with when not on the water. The great thing is that they fall on the less expensive end of the spectrum (less bells and whistles, simpler mechanism than water or magnetic resistance). Have used mine for years with zero problems, and could not be happier with it.

If you get one, def get one with a computer. Doesn't add much to the cost, and is essential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for a Concept2. I have a Concept2 model C I bought in 2001 that I've put a ton of meters on. It still rows just as smoothly as the day I bought it. Everyone from HS teams to Olympians train on the Concept2. You can't go wrong.
If there's a rowing club nearby, try to get some instruction on how to row correctly. It is possible to cause injury if you are doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former rower here. As others said, the conversation starts and ends with Concept 2. I will say though, it is one of those exercises that gets more painful the better you get--kind of like swimming. So when, I hear things like "its a decent workout," I can only laugh. If done properly, the generation of power is probably 90% legs.

But, I do not supplement triathlon training with rowing. In fact, I started triathlon after years of rowing because I had enough of that. I specifically avoid it.

As to your injury, I have had several miniscus tears though, it still may be painful to row. There is no pounding, of course, but you are still bending fairly deeply every stroke you take--just something to conisder before you shell out $$ for a machine.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 26, 14 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Former rower here. As others said, the conversation starts and ends with Concept 2. I will say though, it is one of those exercises that gets more painful the better you get--kind of like swimming. So when, I hear things like "its a decent workout," I can only laugh. If done properly, the generation of power is probably 90% legs.

But, I do not supplement triathlon training with rowing. In fact, I started triathlon after years of rowing because I had enough of that. I specifically avoid it.

As to your injury, I have had several miniscus tears though, it still may be painful to row. There is no pounding, of course, but you are still bending fairly deeply every stroke you take--just something to conisder before you shell out $$ for a machine.

I also rowed in college and share the concerns about how rowing might effect your knee. I second the suggestion to give it a try before investing in your own machine.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Concept2

Anything else is just a toy.

Another vote for concept2. You can find them pretty cheap refurbished or lightly used on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used IndoRow, liked it where it's something diffeent plus uses the muscle groups you referenced. Can do some good cardio workouts between tempo and sprints of varying distances/times.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just on the treadmill thinking about how I need to work on other leg muscles (glutes, hammies) for better overall strength and to fix my current hip "issue."

I was staring at this old rower that sits in the corner collecting dust, occasionally used by old guys. It looks boring. Even more boring than the treadmill. But, if there is something to overall leg strength that I might get from using it a few times a week, maybe I need to give suck it up and give it a try.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a WaterRower for a couple years, which I bought new and put about 800km on. I sold it when I got into triathlon and found I was doing almost entirely riding/running workouts. The workout quality was pretty much dead-on with the Concept2, but there were some differences.

WaterRower:
-MUCH quieter, so if you're in an apartment, it's the way to go.
-Looks much cooler
-Takes up less space than the C2 when stored vertically
-Has the online racing capability, but I was never able to get it to work with mine despite having the right computer model. I could do single player on my PC, but not multiplayer.
-I found it smoother and enjoyed the lack of vibration
-The speeds aren't quite the same as the concept 2. My waterrower 2km PB was an olympian 5:57, but my concept2 was a respectable-but-averager 6:42. I was more or less in the same shape when I did both those times (and was probably actually in better shape when I did the concept2 time).
-They both simulate on-water rowing pretty well.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Feb 26, 14 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started running, I had shin splints. Couldn't run for more than a mile without pain. I stopped running for a few months, but used a rowing machine daily. It helped amazingly.

Now, I'm having ITBS issues. This thread reminded me of how great the rowing workouts were. Full leg, glute, and back work. I'm gonna have to go back to the gym next week. That should help me again.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip about the deep knee bends. That is a consideration and I will try and find a machine to test before deciding.

On the meniscus tear - how has your recovery gone? You are doing tri's, so you must be able to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concept 2 with slides is the best option. The oartec ergometer would be #2 IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kind of in the same boat. I have a tear and it HURTS to ride, I cant jump on the bike or let my cadence below 85 otherwise I am hurting. There is a Concept 2 at the gym and I have started using that. It irritates my knee a little, but not much, much less than walking and riding.

Not to derail your thread but are you getting it trimmed, or what ever they do, or are you trying to let it heal on its own?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopeful Rappsrar will chime in. Pretty sure he was on the Princeton Crew.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would think right.

Quote | Reply
It is a good cardio workout, definitely works glutes and legs generally. Good form is key. Echo the comments on Concept 2 being the way to go.

I work the rowing machine into my workouts once or twice a week, as part of a weight training session. I don't do a lot of rowing - usually will do 1k at a fairly easy pace early on in the workout, then in between certain weight circuit sets I will do 2-3 rounds of 600m intervals, where I do first 100m easy, 2nd 100m hard as I can go, 3rd 100m easy, etc. I like it because it helps iron out some muscle imbalances I develop from running a lot while also working on my shoulders and back. Not sure that it will make you any faster at triathlon, but I think it helps me avoid injury and keeps workouts from getting too stale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are ready to drop a grand, Concept 2 is the only way to go. I managed to get one for the workout room at the fire station. It is highly in demand. If you want to spend $4000, get a Jacob's ladder.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [jlee565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Former D1 college rower. Concept 2 is the industry standard and the only one you should consider. It will dish out as much punishment as you can tolerate. I'd try to track down a used Model C or D. Call your local university team or rowing club to see if they have some they are looking to turn over. Also the row2k.com classifieds is a good place to find them as well. The wear parts are all replaceable, so even if it is a little rough round the edges you can make it like new.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [batman1425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm another advocate for the Concept 2. That's what I use at my gym and love them.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machines [batman1425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a rower, but I was shown the ropes by a Crash B World Champ. I will attest to what you said. One can put a serious hurt on with a hard set. I find a hard effort on the Concept 2 more painful than most run, bike and swim time trials I've done. Muscles burn, throat dries, lungs crawl up the throat looking for an escape and the vomit waits to attack like an inside linebacker. It's a lot of fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next