Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roval Raptide and Alpinist
Quote | Reply
 https://bikerumor.com/...-fastest-all-around/

Specialized has released a couple new wheels.

The new Raptide is super wide (outer width 33mm on the front and 30mm on the rear), has a mixed depth (51mm front and 60mm rear) and is meant to be a great all-arounder. Pretty light at 1400g.

The Alpanist is, as you would presume from the name, is their climbing wheel. Just 1248g and has a 21mm internal width and 33mm deep profile.

Perhaps the most surprising news from the release to most people is that the wheels are not tubeless compatible.

So now I am going grab some popcorn and hope to watch Slowman (who has many times preached the eventual death of tubes and says you’d be crazy to buy a non tubeless compatible wheel) and SuperDave (who current works for Roval and is always aggressive at pimping whatever product his current employer has released) duke it out.

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Jun 3, 20 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/...-fastest-all-around/

The new Raptide is super wide (outer width 33mm on the front...)

Actually 35mm external width. Makes me wonder if there's a 33c Turbo Cotton, or something similar, on the horizon? Why else would Specialized make such a rim?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 33mm Turbo Cotton (with latex tubes of course) would be bliss to ride on

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clincher only and non-tubeless is a head scratcher for sure

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

If it existed, but I think 28mm is as big at gets?

GP5K is faster anyway (in RR and likely aero), and is available in 32.

Per the other poster, this is confusing. The only high-end road tire that Specialized makes that's >28mm is the RapidAir. Which is tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Clincher only and non-tubeless is a head scratcher for sure

Huge mistake, I was considering selling my Enve 5.6 and getting these, well not anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not tubeless.
Sounds like someone in Specialized fecked up when writing the design spec and nobody realised until it was too late.
They'd never admit it tho and will come out with some marketing BS about why it's better.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Not tubeless.
Sounds like someone in Specialized fecked up when writing the design spec and nobody realised until it was too late.
They'd never admit it tho and will come out with some marketing BS about why it's better.

yep give them a year and replacement coming like the venue vias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
So now I am going grab some popcorn and hope to watch Slowman [..] and SuperDave (who current works for Roval and is always aggressive at pimping whatever product his current employer has released) duke it out.

Dave and Specialized broke up last month, or at least it was made public last month.

Maybe these wheels not being tubeless compatible was the reason.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They got more marketing notice by making them tube only than if they did a me too tubeless one. People are talking about them. It worked. It’s different. For someone like Specialized they need to be different , not me too. They compete on innovation, not price
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
They compete on innovation, not price

This is innovation?
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
They got more marketing notice by making them tube only than if they did a me too tubeless one.

All the cycling publications that wrote reviews of these non-tubeless wheels are the same ones that would have written reviews of these wheels if they were tubeless-compatible. Making them non-tubeless did not result in any additional marketing exposure.

On the other hand, the no-tubeless offering did eliminate many potential customers, like me. I will happily remain riding my CLX50s, and I'm typically the tech nerd who never misses an opportunity to waste money on an equipment upgrade.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those don’t seem much lighter than the clx32 ... either way, the real innovation they need on these wheels is braking that isn’t trash. I recently bought a pair of the clx32 for a weight weenie bike build because they were lighter than comparable Enve or Zipp, but definitely regret it because of braking performance.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Those don’t seem much lighter than the clx32 ... either way, the real innovation they need on these wheels is braking that isn’t trash. I recently bought a pair of the clx32 for a weight weenie bike build because they were lighter than comparable Enve or Zipp, but definitely regret it because of braking performance.

Considering both wheel options are being sold as disc only they solved the braking issue. I have always wonder what the actual sales volumes are for Roval wheels as new aftermarket parts as I suspect its OEM speccing that drives the product specs. My suspicion is that the vast majority of Roval wheels are being sold as stock on new bikes which in turn feeds a second hand market for like new Roval wheels at far less than MSRP. By putting top end prices on the wheels Specialized is attempting to drive up the perceived value of bikes and so the pricing strategy is about making money on bikes not selling the wheels. Along the same lines Specialized has no plans of selling road bikes which have been set up tubeless from the start so they don't see a value in producing tubeless wheels. Still an odd decision but it comes down to brand and bike line managers rather than wheel engineers.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Chemist wrote:

If it existed, but I think 28mm is as big at gets?

GP5K is faster anyway (in RR and likely aero), and is available in 32.

Per the other poster, this is confusing. The only high-end road tire that Specialized makes that's >28mm is the RapidAir. Which is tubeless.

IIRC they made a “hell of the north” 30mm tubular. Maybe 32mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That can't be right - All the " experts " and cycling media have been telling me that I must buy tubeless - You gotta laugh !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When looking at the rim profile the bead looks like it should be tubeless! Shelf and hook. Something must not have tested/performed well after the moulds were cut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like a fail to me. I have many friends running tubeless on the road now and they are happy with their results.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Along the same lines Specialized has no plans of selling road bikes which have been set up tubeless from the start

Why not? You can buy a Tarmac with tubeless-ready CLX 50's right now. And as you ring it up the LBS can ask you if your preference is tubes or tubeless, and set it up for you in like 10 minutes.

My preference would be tubeless.

I agree that they're not going to sit on showroom floors with sealant in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that a 33-35mm wide rim is more aero than a 28mm one. Surely there is a point of diminishing returns when the increased thickness affects both aero and, by virtue of a lower pressure, rolling resistance as well.

If 28 > 23, and 32 > 28, then will 40c be the norm next year?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Last edited by: guadzilla: Jun 4, 20 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that 33-35mm wide rim is more aero than a 28mm one.

More aero for the 28mm tires which are the new normal. I still suspect that 23mm tires on a high-end rim are better if you're seeking every last decimal point in CdA.

I assume, without evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
More aero for the 28mm tires which are the new normal. I still suspect that 23mm tires on a high-end rim are better if you're seeking every last decimal point in CdA.
I assume, without evidence.

My 26c tires spread out to 28mm on the existing Rovals, which have a 21mm ID (same as the new ones). I would assume 28s would maybe get to 30-31 - wouldnt that be not-wide-enough for the wider rim?

I am interested in the idea of combining RR and aero to get one measurement - although RR is so surface/rider weight/tire dependent, it is hard to figure out how that might be practical. I am also willing to buy that a little wider could be more aero.

Wish Specialized would release some wind tunnel info on this.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after they released their tt bike last year, or whenever it was, which their wind tunnel apparently found that trying to channel air between two small gaps between the fork / head tube, rather than directing it around the outside and along the frame, was more efficient, i wouldn't trust anything that comes from their wind tunnel numbers.

when they were working with mclaren, the produced the tt helmet which almost universally tests well and very highly. left to their own devices again, they came out with that tt bike. certainly don't trust how they're interpreting their wind tunnel results now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Whole bottom brackets are a whole other subject. I just got lucky and never changed my tarmac SL3 which came with a threaded BB. Then there was/is a period of pressfit being the best thing only to now see threaded coming back.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad wrote:
after they released their tt bike last year, or whenever it was, which their wind tunnel apparently found that trying to channel air between two small gaps between the fork / head tube, rather than directing it around the outside and along the frame, was more efficient, i wouldn't trust anything that comes from their wind tunnel numbers.

when they were working with mclaren, the produced the tt helmet which almost universally tests well and very highly. left to their own devices again, they came out with that tt bike. certainly don't trust how they're interpreting their wind tunnel results now.

What's wrong with the new shiv design?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply

Prev Next