Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses?
Quote | Reply
we have sandra wallenhorst going 8:47:26 in klagenfurt (im austria), and then we have yvonne van vlerken going 8:45:48 in roth. there seems to be some disagreement over what the WR is, because one is an official IM and the other is not. me, i don't differentiate. if roger bannister clocked 3:59 while going 4 times around a 440yd oval, the RDs failure to pay a sanction fee isn't going to keep the public from recognizing the achievement.

in the cases of both these races, tho, and with all due respect to these talented women, we expect a WR in a marathon from, oh, paula radcliffe, maybe catherine ndereba, maybe from deena kastor. but not from someone who's run a 2:28 or a 2:33 on what we know is a legit course. can we, after the fact, find out whether any real record, or world best, has been set here?

my question is for you forum readers who participated in these races, and/or those of you who'd like to go back do some investigating via google mapping technology. what we do not have in triathlon is any standard for course certification. what we do have, tho, are personal garmin units, and bike computers. and, of course, online mapping utilities that turn out to be quite accurate.

i've heard, in past years, anything from 106mi to 109mi for certain bike courses purporting to be 112mi. are there any who competed in either of these races this past weekend who came up with totals for the bike and/or run course? what about the marathons? any garmin-equipped runners out there?

also, are the swim times kosher? are the 45s and 46s in klagenfurt okay, considering i'm assuming wetsuits were worn? has stephen bayliss ever done anything like a 46:03 in the past? he swam 47:29 at south africa, and 47:08 in NZ this year. marino swam 48:42 in klagenfurt. he swam 53:21 in kona last year. 54:04 in kona the year before. kona is in salt water, no wetsuits. wetsuits might, for a pro, be 6 seconds faster per 100yd. maybe 7sec in the extreme. but you give at least a second back salt water to fresh, maybe more. that means between 3 minutes and 3:30 faster in fresh water w/wetsuit versus salt w/o. maybe 4min max.

roth, you'd think they'd get the swim right, because it's up and back in a dead-straight canal, as i remember it (i was there once for the race many years ago). the swim seems quick. pete jacobs and kieran doe going 46:06 and :09. but you figure they're perhaps 49 and change in kona in a good year. macca was 47:46 in roth, add 3:30 and he's 51:16 in kona, so that's believable. torbjorn was 47:51 in roth, that's about 52 in kona, that would be quick for him, no?

i think roth's swim is believable, but on the quick side of believable. i'm guessing the swim in klagenfurt was 1:00 to 1:30 short. but, i'm open to hearing alternate views.

what about the bike and run for both these races? anyone with any evidence one way or the other?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Along with those questions, what kind of measures do these races put in place to discourage or stop drafting? Is the ratio of draft marshalls vs. competitors at these races similar to the NAS and WTC races? I'm not accusing anyone of drafting...yet. I'm just curious how the RDs in Europe and abroad manage their races compared to the RDs here.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the transitions like at these two races also? I tried to pull up results with t1 and t2 times, but can only find s,b,r.

I haven't been to either of these two races or kona, so I can't compare, but I would think that's its possible that their could be a :30~several minute difference depending on the layout. Anything like the run in LP from the swim through t1, or are they exceptionally short?

My opinion would be a "world best" could be declared, but that might lead to race organizers cutting off distance on purpose to make their race 'faster', and we might see a clustering of athletes going to those few races to get the fastest times, just as now we see the fastest runners going to london, chicago, etc, to go after fast marathon times.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I raced IM Switzerland a few years back there were packs of 30-40 on the bike and the officials did not do anything about it. I think there were also very few race officials.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [runningwilddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What are the transitions like at these two races also? I tried to pull up results with t1 and t2 times, but can only find s,b,r.

I haven't been to either of these two races or kona, so I can't compare, but I would think that's its possible that their could be a :30~several minute difference depending on the layout. Anything like the run in LP from the swim through t1, or are they exceptionally short?

My opinion would be a "world best" could be declared, but that might lead to race organizers cutting off distance on purpose to make their race 'faster', and we might see a clustering of athletes going to those few races to get the fastest times, just as now we see the fastest runners going to london, chicago, etc, to go after fast marathon times.

The difference is that those marathons are certified and verified as 26.2. They go to those because the courses are proven fast. They don't go to Boston to set WR times ......

I have not done either of the iron distance races mentioned, but I hear time and again that Roth almost always has a short bike course. Hopefully someone who has done it will chime in.

Quote | Reply
I raced in Klagenfurt this weekend. Here are several observations for what it's worth.

1. Both my son's and my SRMs recorded bike distances from 109-110 miles. My SRM just recently recorded 56.5 miles at Eagleman, and right on 112 miles at IMFL. a quick review of other posted GPS tracks consistently shows it short--I'd say it's 2-3 miles short.

2. There were a lot of marshalls on the course and I did not see much drafting. that said, this was really a training ride for me as my A race is IMC and my son, who raced it hard, did see plenty of drafting--big packs of 20+. Seems to me this is a common problem these days--i saw huge packs at IMFL last yr when I rode 5:06 and a massive pack at EM again this year.

3. I did not GPS the run but it is very flat and fast. for the sub 9 crew conditions were pretty good with cooler temps and rain during the run.

4. The swim seemed about right to me. My son swam a 62 vs a 63 at IMFL and he was in better shape for AUS. The time was heavily dependent on the track you took as it was easy to go off course on the swam back to the canal. The canal is very fast as a strong draft effect occurs there....

5. Any sub 5 hour bike time is still pretty impressive--that's a tough bike course and the weather conditions were pretty extreme at times...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you also explain this:
http://ironman.com/...in-mackinnon-reports

when Peter Reid went 15min faster in 1999??

anybody?
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont get it either...... the record on that course is 7;51....

but of course, i dont give much credibilty to this course and very suspect of roth also and the swam at imgermany also. None the less, the athelte that did these performance are amazing and will do awsome at other races.... but it would be nice if course were mesure with more attention and professionalism...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Peter and Olaf said it was close to 2km short on the run...
I think Olaf said around 1.8km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried to get information last year via a European forum to write a story about this, but it seems that most participants who race IM Austria and Roth swear that the course is right on the money. I guess people don't want to think that their Iron distance PR might not be legit.

To do a GPS mapping of the Roth course for example appears difficult as the run course goes out into the "boonies" and does not turn around at an "official intersection."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kieran could go 46.00 easy....
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Austria last year and was looking forward to racing this 'superfast' course. I had a 2 minute PR (58.30) on the swim having trained harder than ever in the 4 months before the race, I suspect it may have been short but not by much, a minute?

The bike was interesting, the consensus was that it was a mile or two short, and it was certainly fast, but don't make the mistake of thinking it was easy. There are three significant climbs on each of the two laps and a lot of people were blowing up on the second lap having attacked the climbs on the first lap. What makes the course fast is that the climbs are short and sharp but the descents are very long and gradual. My bike was five minutes slower than my PR (set at Germany), 5.10. Saw a bit of drafting but saw MUCH more in Florida, and the officials were pretty visible around where I was racing.

The run was flat and fast, but I would guess it was dead on for measurement. Again I was five minutes slower than PR (Germany) but it was a very hot day (in the low 90s) and I suffered a bit the last 10 miles, 3.36. Only 4 minutes quicker than my run in Kona a couple of years ago.

All up, 9.50, and nowhere close to qualifying in 40-44 ag, its a tough crowd out there. Beautiful setting and a great race, I would encourage anyone to do it (although it sold out in 92 minutes already for next year!).

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iīve done both races.
Austria 2001 , in my cyclocomputer 180 kms bike, the same in my friendīs.
The bike course itīs got a very smooth road , the weather normally is not very hot , around 20š C , and the bike course profile helps : short steep uphills with long fast downhills , for example 1km uphill at 14 km/h + 7 kms downhill at 55 km/h makes a fast average overall , faster than a flat course where one could hold 36 km/h.
The swim maybe fast because the entrance to the canal has some kind of current , iīm not sure though , but in IM NZ old swim course did happend too.
The run is flat and mosstly through the shade . I have no idea of itīs real lenght.
Transition area is really fast , in just 1:30 youīre done.

Roth bike course is similar to Austria in terms of bike course and transition areas.

Drafting was big in Austria , also in Roth in the second lap with the relay racers , but i think they solved this problem this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [jaimev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Iīve done both races.
Austria 2001 , in my cyclocomputer 180 kms bike, the same in my friendīs.
The bike course itīs got a very smooth road , the weather normally is not very hot , around 20š C , and the bike course profile helps : short steep uphills with long fast downhills , for example 1km uphill at 14 km/h + 7 kms downhill at 55 km/h makes a fast average overall , faster than a flat course where one could hold 36 km/h.
The swim maybe fast because the entrance to the canal has some kind of current , iīm not sure though , but in IM NZ old swim course did happend too.
The run is flat and mosstly through the shade . I have no idea of itīs real lenght.
Transition area is really fast , in just 1:30 youīre done.

Roth bike course is similar to Austria in terms of bike course and transition areas.

Drafting was big in Austria , also in Roth in the second lap with the relay racers , but i think they solved this problem this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting:

- Part of the problem is that we don't have a body such as the IAAF overseeing these sorts of events.

- Triathlon, historically has had a rather cavelier attitude regarding the accuracy of courses. "As long as it's close" seems to sum up the attitude over the years

- I note that the IAAF does not call the absolute best marathon time the "World Record", they call it the "World Best" and their are specific criteria regarding loop courses and point-to-point courses and elevation drop/gain.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason they are called world's best is because courses are different though.
Even though 7h50 is the faster Ironman ever, many of us here tend to think that Thomas Hellriegel's 8.09 at IM Canada is the most impressive Ironman performance ever.

What FFTri (french fed) does re. courses is that, they just announce what the distance is: 1450m-38.4km-10.4k or whatever it is...so it's an OD with some variation...of course, there are still some inaccuracies...
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I raced in Klagenfurt in 2001. My computer registered 175 km and change, my wife's 176 km. Both computers were calibrated on the training wheels so it may be a factor but my bike time in Klagenfurt was 20 minutes faster than any other Ironman. I don't know if the course has changed but I am convinced the bike course was significantly short.

In klagenfurt, you swim the last 800 meters in a small channel (by small, i mean really small, 5-6 meters wide, 1 meter deep). This is very very fast and i would venture that you will gain easily a couple of minute in that stretch. You would probably move at a 2.30 min /100m pace without actually swimming. This may not be that much of a factor for leading swimmers however. My wife and I were around 200th swimmers entering the channel and there was an incredible draft. We both went under 1 hour, which is the only time we did that in any Ironman.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kieren and Pete Jacobs are definitely 46 swimmers, especially if they were smart and set the pace effectively together (one leads one half, the other leads the other). Kieren went 48-49 last year at IMC, and that course was probably long (looking at the times Linda Gallo and others swam). Bayliss is also a very good swimmer.

What is interesting is that the women went, proportionally, much faster than the men. I know at least at Austria, the pros got only a 30 METER headstart, not 15 MINUTES, so that would also help to explain a lot about why the times were so much faster for the women than they were for the men. Other than that, conditions were apparently perfect, with no wind, and even some light rain during the run for the faster folks.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course has changed significantly since 2001.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the Roth course has changed much since PNF's record when it was an "official" IM?

I guess WTC dodged a bullet in that PNF's record was also broken in Austria, otherwise the WTC would have a World Record time that is only 3rd best on the course it was broken on!

Either way...I think most folk recognize that course comparisons are like apples and oranges and measure the absolute best performances by times in Hawaii (and even then you have to factor in whether is was a "windy year" or not...)

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowman - Id ask jordan if maybe he can add a small "race files" section under each race so that people that do races on the race calendar can easily put in links to the races they have done with gps files to find online. that way lets say after placid we'd have maybe 30 different people with different garmins/or other online files to compare and get a consensus. You could have the links show up under each course with the st member's name...

It's not going to do what fleck mentions of having official certifiable courses - but once again ST can have an impact on our sport if an RD knows that 2 days later his/her race there might be 40 (or more if they are upset) people posting gps files all in ONE place where you can easily adjust for peoples different transition starting points, etc. This actually might give others valuable training information for the next year's race because then they might be able to see: "oh this must be the bad pavement part since eveyrone slowed down" or "wow last year this race was 4 miles too short - I better think twice."

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is a good idea to have a library of current IM courses, could just be links to one of the popular GPS plotting websites.

I just did a quick search on Bikely and found the 2007 Austria route although this seems to be from a practice ride as the transition entry and exit is not correct (if anything I think this misses out a bit of riding), and this measures 88.9km for one lap. I think this reinforces that whilst it may be a km or 2 short it is nowhere near as short as many people speculate from their armchair.

Bikely link

Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done most of the IM courses mentioned in this thread I'd say that I was shocked by how hard Roth was. I was expecting it to be flat and superfast but it isn't. Austria was a lot easier and the long descents made the ride fast. Check out Larson's bike split for Roth, it was under 4:30 but nothing spectacular. Both courses have very efficient transitions, great support and fast athletes. Now how does that affect the pros? Maybe the elite girls get the benefit of the FOP male draft or the course profiles suit the lighter smaller bodies, I really don't know. But in both cases this year the woman's times were way under the hour difference to the winning mens.
I still don't know why no one has broken 8 hours in Austria since 2000.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even though 7h50 is the faster Ironman ever, many of us here tend to think that Thomas Hellriegel's 8.09 at IM Canada is the most impressive Ironman performance ever.

Yep, definitely agree with that. I found IM Canada to be slightly harder than Lake Placid.

It would be good if one didn't get so obsessed with times and focused more on the actual difficulties of each course. In that sense it would be good to see the world champs move about as certain courses suit different people. The fact that Mark Allen could win at Nice and Hawaii showed his versatility, something the current crop of top girls and guys don't have the chance to display.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Roth? Klagenfurt? World Record courses? [ChadJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When I raced IM Switzerland a few years back there were packs of 30-40 on the bike and the officials did not do anything about it. I think there were also very few race officials.

I raced last year and it was the same. Lots of drafting, few race officials, and the officials present didn't do anything to stop drafting. There was no way to do well with out cheating, so I didn't. I've raced the NA Ironmans except Florida and it was far worse than any NA event I have been to.
Quote Reply

Prev Next