Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roll Call IMCHOO
Quote | Reply
I am headed to IMCHOO at the end of the month and was just wondering who all might be going and if there are any last minute details, tips or tricks that would help a first time IM racer out.

Or if you know some really great places to do things or EAT I am all ears!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there too. Also an IM virgin. Would also love any tips or tricks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope everyone has been adding 3.6% on to every bike workout!

From anyone going back for more I'd love to hear about the run course. I know it's hilly but the past times seem rough even for the elevation. Is it not very shaded? Hillier than the number makes you think?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peoples Garmins have run elevation around 1150-1200 not the number advertised by IM. (Which I found out about after I signed up. Its, hill, flat, hills, flat and hills.) yee ha!
Last edited by: mdtrihard: Sep 11, 18 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in 3rd IMCHOO in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m coming as well. Should be fun.

I wanted to target KQ, but in the winter I had a big dip in the training performance due to life circumstances.

As a result I’m missing 30W in FTP required to hit podium. If I finish in top10 AG, I’ll be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be #19 for me.

1. Enjoy the swim. It’s the easiest and fastest one on the IM circuit. It’ll set you up for a great bike and swim.
2. Don’t overbike. Take note of those that do as you’ll most likely pass them on the run as they’re walking.
3. The bike is the time to take in your nutrition. Nail it to setup a great run.
4. Keep moving on the run. Resist the urge to stop. Only walk the aid stations if needed to get in your nutrition.
5. Concentrate on one discipline at a time. Don’t think ahead.
6. Mentally break up the distances into smaller goals as needed.
7. Don’t try anything new on race day or the day before.
8. Keep a positive attitude since it’s the only thing you can control.
9. Thank every volunteer you come across.
10. Take it all in as you come down the finishing shute. Nothing compares to your first IM finish. Smile as you cross the finish line. YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren’t wearing a wetsuit, hang out toward the front of the incredibly long line at the swim start. We got to the start an hour early and we were still a long way back in the line. As the line finally started moving as far back as we were, I heard someone yelling for everyone not wearing a wetsuit to run to the start. I stepped on untold pebbles barefoot and forgot to turn on my watch. Luckily, I realized my watch wasn’t stated right before I jumped in the river. All things considered, I was running too fast to be nervous, but if you get in too late you will get run over by the wet suit wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first 4 miles roll on an unshaded highway on the out then move to a relatively flat path on the back section that has some shade and some sunny parts on it, after that a 5 mile loop with some hills that's somewhat shaded on the northside.

I ran it starting at 2 pm a months ago and did the north side first then moved to the path. The path was the hardest part because it was like running in a swamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for #26 Ironman but may be it as the body is getting a bit beat up....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I did IMChoo in 2016 and the 70.3 WC there in 2017. I'm going back for redemption from 2016, my worst IM to date due to that oppressive heat. Choo has a perfect spot for transition and I think it's a great course and a cool little city.

You probably know it's a downhill swim. I was hoping they'd change it to a self-seeded start, but it looks like it'll remain first-come first-serve (2018 athlete's guide is out). That means the front of the line will be packed with slower swimmers concerned with cut-off times. Just keep that in mind in your race morning plans.

On the bike, the roads getting you out of and back into town are sketchy in spots, with I think 2 railroad crossings. So be aware. But the roads are quite nice once you get out of the city. Most of the bike is in Georgia and it's a nice course. No big climbs but enough rollers to keep it interesting. I remember there's a punchy climb on the far south side of the course before you turn back north. Then there's a longer climb leaving Chickamauga, not super steep but it goes on for a while, and it's followed by a nice lengthy downhill. The rest are mostly rollers on decent roads.

Just save something for that run, it's a beast north of the river. Lots of elevation change in the last 5 miles of the race. The portion of the run along Riverside Dr. (basically a highway) isn't great, but I like the rest of the run along the river, crossing the bridges, and through the neighborhoods on the north side.

There are a ton of places to eat downtown, you really can't go wrong. Tony's is a great Italian place.

Hit me up for any other questions you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced in 2014. Did the half this year. In for the full this month!
I'll be at the IM Become One tent and first timer panel (Friday at 3pm I believe) as certified IM U Coach.
Feel free to stop by, ask me questions.

Biggest words of advice, this week is the last week to focus on fitness gains. The weeks after should be about taper, recovering and race specific workouts.
Don't try and cram for the test by doing 20 to 30 hour weeks of training. Too late for that and you will be over trained and have a not fun race experience.

Recovery.
Proper nutrition - DON'T CUT CALORIES TO REACH "RACE WEIGHT". Just watch Sanders videos to see how trying to reach race weight will kill your race. Eat normal and healthy.
HYDRATE! Make sure you are hydrated every day. Don't just drink a ton of liquids the day before.
Be proactive. Don't wait until the last minute to pack, set up, drop off transition bags, etc. Reduce stress.
Don't walk around a lot Friday and Saturday. Maybe a quick tempo run for 2 to 3 miles and that's it. Don't wonder around IM village all day and wear yourself out.

Chill. Enjoy the event.

Like the signs will say on Sunday, "you paid to do this".

;)

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my first time doing an Ironman! Can't wait.

How far is T1 from the swim finish? Trying to determine minutes it will take to get to T1. I heard you have to find your bag, but I wear glasses and they will be in the bag :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
From anyone going back for more I'd love to hear about the run course. I know it's hilly but the past times seem rough even for the elevation. Is it not very shaded? Hillier than the number makes you think?
They still advertise the run elevation as < 700 ft, and I'll just say it feels harder than that. There's a good little climb right out of T2 that you'll do only once (you come down this hill right before the finish). Then there's a punchy climb just before crossing Veteran's bridge. Then the big hills are all bunched together on the north side of the river. The worst is the long climb up Barton, but there are others over there. For 5 miles you are going up or down, including the last 5-6 miles of the race. The run along Riverside Rd and the riverfront are mostly flat.

Somebody else answered the shade question. It depends a lot on when you're running. No shade on Riverside Rd or on the bridges, but some decent shade in other parts. Sunset is artificially early there b/c of the hills. Let's just all hope we don't get a repeat of 2016 temps. For the 70.3 WC in 2017, the weather and temps were perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

How far is T1 from the swim finish? Trying to determine minutes it will take to get to T1. I heard you have to find your bag, but I wear glasses and they will be in the bag :)
The swim finish is right at T1. Maybe 50-75m from swim exit to your bag, then another 50m to enter the change tent.

Familiarize yourself where your bag is, e.g. what row, how far down. I also suggest bringing bright duct tape (e.g. bright green or hot pink) to tape along the top of your bike bag, that'll make it much easier to spot in the crowd. But there should be volunteers there, you can just shout out your number and get some help.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

volunteers help you find your bag if you don't get to it first.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I'm in. I did IMChoo in 2016 and the 70.3 WC there in 2017. I'm going back for redemption from 2016, my worst IM to date due to that oppressive heat. Choo has a perfect spot for transition and I think it's a great course and a cool little city.

You probably know it's a downhill swim. I was hoping they'd change it to a self-seeded start, but it looks like it'll remain first-come first-serve (2018 athlete's guide is out). That means the front of the line will be packed with slower swimmers concerned with cut-off times. Just keep that in mind in your race morning plans.

On the bike, the roads getting you out of and back into town are sketchy in spots, with I think 2 railroad crossings. So be aware. But the roads are quite nice once you get out of the city. Most of the bike is in Georgia and it's a nice course. No big climbs but enough rollers to keep it interesting. I remember there's a punchy climb on the far south side of the course before you turn back north. Then there's a longer climb leaving Chickamauga, not super steep but it goes on for a while, and it's followed by a nice lengthy downhill. The rest are mostly rollers on decent roads.

Just save something for that run, it's a beast north of the river. Lots of elevation change in the last 5 miles of the race. The portion of the run along Riverside Dr. (basically a highway) isn't great, but I like the rest of the run along the river, crossing the bridges, and through the neighborhoods on the north side.

There are a ton of places to eat downtown, you really can't go wrong. Tony's is a great Italian place.

Hit me up for any other questions you have.

Thank you for all of the great responses. Glad to see there will be many others from here racing as well.

Anyone know of good places for family and friends to be able to catch you on the bike and run outside of transition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
Anyone know of good places for family and friends to be able to catch you on the bike and run outside of transition?
Not really on the bike, unless they want to drive somewhere, e.g. Chickamauga.

On the run, an option to see the runner multiple times is on the south side entrance to the bridges. It's easy to get from transition to the Walnut St (pedestrian) bridge. You can see a runner pass by there at mile 1 and 13, then easily walk to transition to see the finish. If you walk further east you can probably get to where the runners enter the Veteran's bridge, although that might be a bit tricky and isn't the greatest spot for a spectator.

If they're up for a real walk, they can walk across the pedestrian bridge over to Barton and see a runner pass in both directions, at miles 9 and 12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing IM #4! This time last year I was laid up after having surgery to put a plate and 10 screws in my collarbone after a wicked crash at Nationals...and this was after a minor breast cancer bout...so needless to say, 2017 was a BUST. This is my "I fought my way back to IM shape from ground zero" a year ago race. The finish line will be a bit emotional :) Let's do this!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure any breast cancer bouts can be called "minor". Congrats on making it back and best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:

Thank you for all of the great responses. Glad to see there will be many others from here racing as well.

They have buses that will take your family out to Chickamauga where your special needs bags will be. They can see you twice there, hop back on the bus, and be back before you get off the bike to start your run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, #2 Choo, #3 overall for me.

I love this course and the city. Yes the run is hard, it's an Ironman!!! Seriously, nothing more to add about the course, all the comments above are spot on.

For the city, there's lots to do, just don't overdo it. I'm planning on doing the Aquarium with my wife and daughter on Friday. There's Point Park for a great scenic view of the city (plus all of the other Lookout Mountain attractions). Saturday will be take the bike in and then sit with the feet up watching football in the room for sure.

Food, wow, there's lots of good eats... Highly recommend Community Pie, that's my pre race meal, the staff and ownership there are great. Urban Stack is another favorite. Hair of the Dog pub will have mimosas on Sunday for the sherpas (that's what the wife tells me). If you are sticking around post race, Hennen's is a really good meal, but that is for after the race, the last thing I want before a race is a big steak / wine.

Training wise, I'm done with the work, had a big week last week, and my body is letting me know it's time to recover. I'll spend the next two weeks sharpening the axe so to speak, but no more big volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
But the roads are quite nice once you get out of the city.
... mostly rollers on decent roads.

I've ridden the bike loop 3x in the past month, and I would caution that there are some very crappy and un-ride-able sections in the right-hand side of the road in much of the "middle" of the course, especially on Hog Jowl. Someone posted a video today in the large 144.6 Facebook group that shows it well. Just be aware that riders will be shifting left to avoid these sections. But otherwise, yes it is a lovely and scenic bike ride that I've really enjoyed.

This will be my 5th start; 4th finish; 1st IM after crashing/breaking my leg at IMLOU in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call IMCHOO [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually remember that happening to you, as I did IMLou that year as well. Broken ankle, right? Glad to see you've recovered.

Thanks for the warning on Hog Jowl, I don't remember any of that from last September. That's the part of the course you can usually just put your head down and fly on, especially with a south wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the race a few days later this year? I was looking at the temps and if those temps hold up with highs in the mid to low 80's and lows in the 60's, will the water cool off enough for a wetsuit?

I'm from a warm climate (did an 18 mile run at 92 degrees Sunday) and the thought of standing around pre swim in the 50-60's sounds miserable.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Sep 12, 18 13:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next