Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI)
Quote | Reply
Who is doing Steelhead HIM?

Has anyone done that course? Would love to hear about the course and what to expect.

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm popping my HIM cherry at Steelhead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in.

First half-ironman and, coincidentally, my first 70.3.

I have ridden the bike course several times.

There is a course profile on michiganoutlaws.org or something like that (you can find a link on the course description of the steelheadtriathlon.com Web page).

The course is mostly on country/farm roads through fields and fairly rural areas. It seems to me that the first 10 miles or so of the course are mostly downhill... since you return on that same stretch, the final 10 miles are mostly uphill (this may have been a fatigue induced illusion, however)... but for the most part it is gradual, rolling hills.

Some have said the bike course is fast and flat. I have found it to be a challenge... maybe any course of that distance would be a challenge for me, though.

My favorite thing about the bike course? You will ride past a small schoolhouse that has a sign post in front of it reading "Metal detectors prohibited on school grounds." I have posted about this sign before, but I am confounded as to what would lead to the need for that sign.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my first HIM, undertrained due to two small leg injuries and a month of 6 hour days on my feet in the heat working soccer camps. The weather might be interesting. As of today on the friday before the race it is supposed to ne 78 with a 60% chance of strong T-storms.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Hope I didn't miss all 2 days of summer you guys have up there.

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [Action Figure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in too.

Any info about the road quality from miles 25-50? I remember last years course was on some freshly paved roads.

I'm just thankful that the last 20 miles aren't all on Bluestar highway. It just never seemed to end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Did this race lasst year, realy fun swim with a pier jump start, flat and fast bike with plenty of support, run is different this year.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [Irondicknixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there, popping tires, raising the temp into the 90's in the shade, launching water bottles at the start of the bike, pulling you under on the swim. Whatever it takes to keep you from performing your best

Fear the BonkMonkey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. This will also be my first HIM. Any estimate on what time it'll take for a Clearwater slot in the M20-24 AG? I'm wondering if I have a chance at one with my likely 40 min swim time.

My egocentric blog
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean the run is different? Any info on that?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather forecasts for 10 days out are meaningless.

At least that is what I say when I don't like the forecast.

(consult accuweather.com instead for a more pleasing forecast).

beyourownsuperhero
Last edited by: Action Figure: Jul 26, 06 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GF and I are in all the way from Virginia Beach. She is from Kalamazoo so it is a homecoming of sorts for her.

What sort of gearing for the hills? Can anyone compare the bike course to say Timberman or Mooseman in terms of hill steepness and/or length?

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Interesting rule changes with the penalty zones for drafting and 4 bike length draft zone.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah and I are doing it. We just finished a tough 55 mile ride after doing a late-night 8 mile run last night. That hurt. Getting up at 6:00 A.M. this moring to ride long hurt tooo after doing that run last night.

So, whatever shape we'll be in next Sunday, we're there.

I don't know how I'll do, but I'm very excited about being a part of it.

I have done the race before, and it is a sinister course that chips away at you for four hours and then delivers a knockout punch in the last four miles of the run. It's a tough event, and weather (high temps, wind on the bike, currents and waves on the swim) can conspire against you on race day. Then again, when I did it two years ago it was calm and beautiful.

This race is the big show in Michigan: The largest event in the history of the sport in our state and part of a major, world-wide event.

However it shakes out, it will be a big weekend!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there... it is my first 1/2 as well. We rode the course a couple weeks ago and with the wind the last 14 miles were absolutely brutal. I can deal with the heat, but with the wind in your face those last miles could be tougher than they already will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I skipped Racine to do this one this year in hope of qualifying for Clearwater. As to what 20-25 would take - I'm guessing low 5s would get you a spot.

So are there any special tips you michigan folks have for us out-of-towners? With the run changed this year I'm guessing it's not 4 miles uphill at the end anymore...

I was slow in getting a hotel - so I'll be in the VIP lounge at the Econolodge...

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!! I did Steelhead 1/2 last year and loved it. The race venue was easy to get to, they even had a little race expo as well as Wendy Ingraham gave a talk. The beach goes on forever, very nice. The bike course had some rolling hills, not too bad. Not sure about the run course though, I saw they changed it..ought to be interesting no doubt!!

================================================

http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travelling over from Ann Arbor for my first HIM.

Haven't ridden the course, but having experienced some Lake Michigan swims--will all depend on weather on the day of the event.

Weather here lately on the eastern edge of the state has been mostly sunny, high 80's to 90's with scattered afternoon thunderstorms. Most mornings cooler--usually in the low 70's. Of course, will probably all depend on the wind coming off of the lake.

Here's hoping for nice weather, gentle rolling hills, and a good finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!

Here's the bike profile:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there - I've done the swim and bike course, but not the new run course. It is the best race in the United States - No - the best race in the world - Of course I'm biased a bit as I'm the RD. Let's hope and pray for good weather and a flat, calm lake for August 5th. See you all at the swim start. I'll be the guy looking like he has not slept in 2-3 days. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for my first Half. I just haven't figured out if I will be the only slow one there or if I am just the only slow one on the forum. I can swim with the best of em but 18mph on a bike for that distance is fast for me and I can't run under a 12 minute mile for a half marathon even if I were being chased! Goal is to finish. 6 1/2 hour finish and I will be first in line to sign up for Wisc IM, 7 to 7 1/2 hour finish and I really have to think about the chances of a DNF and that would be heart breaking. Anyway... you guys save us back of the packers a bagel at the finish. Good luck to all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing and Bri is doing a relay, bike leg, with Tom Z's daughter.

I'm doing a race strategy presentation at the expo on Friday if anyone is interested.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Second time doing the race. The bike course is rolling, but not that hard even for a more or less novice cyclist like me. As long as you watch your pacing. Run was without shade last year, but ought to be more pleasant this year along the as I think it's mostly along the Lake instead of through town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, ready to go.

Bernie

Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marty - Can Bri do the swim also - my daughter has to stay home - she starts high school swim practice. Let me know. Z
Quote Reply

Prev Next