Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3, Harbor Swim, and Pottshead Tent meetup location
Quote | Reply
Step right up, folks. Who's going to be there, racing, heckling, volunteering, or just there to catch the Lionel Sanders vs Everybody show? (this will be a great race...)
If you're competing, what's your expected, projected, hoped for finishing time?

Andrewzabel will be putting up the Pottshead tent up on Pacific Street just above the finish line from 6 AM to 3 PM or "whenever they make me take it down." Stop by and say hello after the race, .
I'll be there along with a few other trouble makers.
PS did the open water swim clinic this AM w globetrotterjon and a few other inlanders. Froze our faces off and got smacked around by a few waves. Cannot imagine sending a bunch of non ocean swimmers in through that mess.

Yup, it's true, the swim has been moved back into the harbor, no beach entry.
Here's the official announcement:
IMPORTANT RACE DAY UPDATE:
'After consulting with the City of Oceanside Lifeguards and multiple surf forecasting tools, we are moving the planned beach start to the harbor, and the swim portion of the race will take place entirely in the harbor (as in years past), as wave heights of up to 4 feet are expected on Race Day.
Athlete safety is our top priority, and we are here to make sure your Race Day goes as smoothly as possible.
For more information
👉 https://bit.ly/2HezIWb
Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend!'

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Apr 6, 18 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there. Super excited to race on this course and looking forward the weather! It’ll be a nice change from New England.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing, hoping to finish around 5:30ish......
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather will be nice. Don't forget sunblock, white arm coolers and your running hat!
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there! Expecting to be right around 6:00 assuming I don’t fall apart on the run :-P!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there in. The 5 range. A meetup is always a great idea.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CalamityJane88 wrote:
I'm considering driving over to spectate. It looks like it will be a fun one to watch! Any tips on good spots for viewing?
I'm usually volunteering in transition and then I scooter over to the pier to watch the run laps. I'll figure out a good place to watch.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing in the 50-54 cat. Really looking forward to this race. Not sure I'll be at full capacity averaging 5 hours of training per week, but still looking to go 4:30-4:40ish. I'll be out visiting my brother who lives in Carlsbad and bringing my 11 year old son for a little vacation and R&R after the race. I hear its a great race. My only ? is the bike ( my strength). Trying to decide which cassette to use. I know this is variable to the rider. Anyone got a range on this? Wondering if I need to put my climbing cassette on. I'm used to big climbs out east. Quassy 70.3 had 4000k of climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Me too. Im on the north shore. Been a rough winter. Tough training for us.

jsaunders wrote:
I’ll be there. Super excited to race on this course and looking forward the weather! It’ll be a nice change from New England.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing. It'll be my first time swimming in the ocean, so I'll have to get in a little practice in the days leading into the race. Hoping to come in just under 4:10, but don't really know what to expect with the new swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No time expectations for me, just hoping to have fun and not be DFL :)
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
I'm racing in the 50-54 cat. Really looking forward to this race. Not sure I'll be at full capacity averaging 5 hours of training per week, but still looking to go 4:30-4:40ish. I'll be out visiting my brother who lives in Carlsbad and bringing my 11 year old son for a little vacation and R&R after the race. I hear its a great race. My only ? is the bike ( my strength). Trying to decide which cassette to use. I know this is variable to the rider. Anyone got a range on this? Wondering if I need to put my climbing cassette on. I'm used to big climbs out east. Quassy 70.3 had 4000k of climbing.

Check out the Tips and Tricks thread: good info over there from Chris M.

Endurance House Oceanside is the go-to for all things O'side 70.3, and about 1/2 mile from the pier, expo, etc. Shoot an email to owner Matt Houston... mhouston@endurancehouse.com.
They've got a bunch of events going on race week, check it out on FB
There's also the Oceanside Multisport Group. They've got a ride going up to Christianitos on Saturday March 31, so you can see the flat part of the course.

IMPORTANT: Here's the form you need to submit if you plan to ride part of the bike course before race day, which takes you through Camp Pendleton. I'm sorry, I am not certain what the protocol is for non US residents. MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR GOV'D ISSUED ID W YOU!

Some fun, you say? When we have visitors, we usually take a surf lesson together, and Eli Howard is my go-go. We've had a couple of events here and taken private lessons. A good time was had by all, and it's close to VG Donuts, Besta Wan, and Cardiff Seaside Market for before and after eats.
For the biggest burrito? Gotta be Jose's Taco Depot.... it's in the Home Depot center. 3910 Vista Way #110, Oceanside, CA 92056

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Mar 28, 18 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I really would like to get on the bike course. It looks like a few climbs in the 12-14 degree incline but nothing too bad. I can stay in my big ring for pretty long periods standing on the climbs. Ill look at the ride on strava. See what others have done on the climbs

STConcierge wrote:
Ken66 wrote:

Check out the Tips and Tricks thread: good info over there from Chris M.

Endurance House Oceanside is the go-to for all things O'side 70.3, and about 1/2 mile from the pier, expo, etc. Shoot an email to owner Matt Houston... mhouston@endurancehouse.com.
They've got a bunch of events going on race week, check it out on FB
There's also the Oceanside Multisport Group. They've got a ride going up to Christianitos on Saturday March 31, so you can see the flat part of the course.

IMPORTANT: Here's the form you need to submit if you plan to ride part of the bike course before race day, which takes you through Camp Pendleton. I'm sorry, I am not certain what the protocol is for non US residents. MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR GOV'D ISSUED ID W YOU!

Some fun, you say? When we have visitors, we usually take a surf lesson together, and Eli Howard is my go-go. We've had a couple of events here and taken private lessons. A good time was had by all, and it's close to VG Donuts, Besta Wan, and Cardiff Seaside Market for before and after eats.
For the biggest burrito? Gotta be Jose's Taco Depot.... it's in the Home Depot center. 3910 Vista Way #110, Oceanside, CA 92056
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m racing. First 70.3 after two years of doing sprints. I’m hoping to go 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO.......I saw a spot that almost 20 degrees. Not long. I'm still thinking of using my 11/23 cassette. Again I know its really up to the individual. I can "mash" a bit without to much trouble. ZI used this cassette setup on Month Tremblant full. Was mashing it up Duplise X 2, but that I believe was steeper. Im 168-172 lbs and 1 hr 5.0 kg/watt ratio. I have an 11/28 but I like my 11/23 better. Mash or spin this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
SO.......I saw a spot that almost 20 degrees. Not long. I'm still thinking of using my 11/23 cassette. Again I know its really up to the individual. I can "mash" a bit without to much trouble. ZI used this cassette setup on Month Tremblant full. Was mashing it up Duplise X 2, but that I believe was steeper. Im 168-172 lbs and 1 hr 5.0 kg/watt ratio. I have an 11/28 but I like my 11/23 better. Mash or spin this?

Yeah, that climb is pretty short, I think it's 0.5 miles in length, and avg grade is 12%, and according to BBS, some sections go up to 19% (not sure how BBS calculates this, but it says 0.14 miles @ 19%). I'm going with my 11-28, and even with that I'm sure I'll have to get off the saddle on the final section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different as you note.

I wouldn't use an 11/23 (albeit i've done this race everywhere from 220 to more recently 190 pounds, so I always pick spin) I've done Oceanside 5 or 6 times and every single time (even if lighter) i think they made the hill steeper.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 28, 18 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there as well. Finishing in whatever time a front pack swim, decent bike, and slow hobble nets me.

Looking forward to it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for the 4th year in a row. Looking for revenge since I got DQ'd last year on the bike, and shortly after the race got injured effectively ending my 2017 season. Gunning for something in the 5:40 range.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will also be there! all the way from Mexico :D

I'm really looking forward to this race. I want to be around 5hrs. I have been running strong (for me anyways) and have been consistent in my training.

I never raced in a wetsuit so I don't think I'll enjoy that (I did not like training in it); but it's a new experience so we'll see.

By the way, any recommendation of a bike fitter around the area? Obviously FIST certified?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Participating “racing”. Should I go w/ a disc or 90mm wheel?
Last edited by: Wetfeet: Mar 29, 18 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Oceanside 70.3 [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the overwhelming majority will say disc. I'm using my HED disc too.

Also, long term forecast has 50% chance of rain on race day. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
I think the overwhelming majority will say disc. I'm using my HED disc too.

Also, long term forecast has 50% chance of rain on race day. Interesting.

Yesterday it was only at 10%. Damn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband Dean and I are racing. Not quite in form yet, and could freeze to death, but should be fun! Making it a family reunion so that will be fun regardless!
Quote Reply

Prev Next