Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rolf Vector Pro
Quote | Reply
Can anyone give me an opinion of these wheels. A friend has offered me a set with about 300 miles on them for $250. Is it worth it just to buy these and then perhaps get a more aero (H3, HED Deep, etc.) rear wheel when funds aren't so tight. Any comments would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolf Vector Pro [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love these wheels. They are not particularly aerodynamic, and they are pretty heavy, but I love 'em. They are very strong, bombproof, and fast. (For reference I'm 200 pounds.) If I could get another set (depending on condition) for $250, I'd jump at the chance. I've had some really hard high speed impacts (rocks and pot holes) with these wheels and they are still very true and round.

I use these as my primary training wheels, but have done numerous races on them as well. I am noticeably faster on these wheels than on my other training wheels. (I notice the difference on flats and descents on group rides.) I was actually planning on setting up some test TTs to compare my Rolfs to my race setup which is a Disc/Nimble Fly combo, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm trying to resolve some mental issues that race setup is indeed as fast or faster than my training setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding wheelset. I have em in the 20s with some lightweight clinchers and use them for racing. the hubs roll really well. I agree they are quite durable. I think they would have eventually dominated the market if whatever weird thing happened with Mr. Rolf had never happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second what pooks said. I have a set that is about 3 years old, Trek owned Rolf at that time. I'm about 220 lb and these wheels have held up well. They are still perfectly true and round. I think they are pretty light for as strong as they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great wheelset, did IM Cal 2 years ago on a pair, have done lots of training with no problems. To bad they are still not available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife spec'd these wheels with her P2K insead of the standard Ritchey's. Originally she was going to use them for both training and racing but I bought her Hed Deep/60 combo for X-mas to use for racing. They're a good wheel and shouldn't give you any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hubs on these were sketchy in some model years but then improved rapidly. I was actually more impressed with the less expensive Vector Comp. That said, for $250 it would be tough to go wrong.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rolf Vector Pro [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had both Vector Pro's and Comps.I beat the crap out of the comps and let the Pro's hang from there hooks.Good price for what you get.Trek has reintroduced that rim as the Bontrager Race X-lite areo.It will cost you three times as much to get it new
Quote Reply
Had both [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had both the Vector Pros and the Vector Comps as training wheels on my road and tri bike. I have tens of thousand of miles on these guys with no hint of a problem. They are probably heavy and they probably aren't very aero, but I would use them in a race if the cross winds were too tough for me to handle my Zipp 404 front and disc rear.

I don't know about pricing on these wheels, but that seems pretty cheap. If you want good training wheels, go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolf Vector Pro [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh. I just thought of one negative that really pisses me off about these wheels. They are not user servicable. At least as far as I know. That is something that really gets to me in general. High quality and servicability are not mutually exclusive. One need look no further than Chris King hubs. Those hubs kick ass and were made to be very easy to service.
Quote Reply