Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roka Wetsuits
Quote | Reply
I am buying my first wetsuit from Roka. I had some questions and was wondering if anyone had advice.

1. Is there a real speed advantage to a full sleeve vs. no sleeve?

2. Most of my races will be in water temps of 60-70. If water temps approach 70's will a full sleeve be too hot?

3. Right now the Pro II sleeveless is on sale for $295. Would it be better to buy a Pro II sleeveless or the Comp II full sleeve given they are the same price?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Wetsuits [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Yes
2. Probably, depending on how warm you get while swimming, but it will still be faster and it's definitely better to be too warm vs too cold, especially if the air temp is chilly.
3. In the spirit of the previous answers, always full sleeves.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Roka Maverick X, their prior generation top of the line full sleeve, and a Roka Pro sleeveless, and I've tried numerous other wetsuits over the years.

A full sleeve is theoretically faster, I believe because it makes your arms slightly wider, giving you a wider "paddle." However, I personally am faster in a sleeveless due to the shoulder restriction from full sleeves. The Maverick X is by far the best wetsuit I've ever tried in terms of shoulder mobility, but I still much prefer to go sleeveless unless the water is really cold.

As water temps get towards the upper 60's, the full sleeve does start to become hot, in my experience. I swam yesterday in my Roka full sleeve in water temp of 72 in a pool, doing sets of 400 meters, and it definitely got toasty. Granted, it was also full sun. As the water temps go towards the lower 60's, I'll be in my full sleeve despite my preference for sleeveless.

As for the Roka sleeveless vs full sleeve you're considering, tough to say which is the better buy, and I wouldn't look at it that way. I would figure out which type of wetsuit best fits your situation, rather than which one is a better value. Unfortunately, the water temps you mention are right where I'd want to have BOTH types of wetsuits. If I was in your shoes, I would figure out whether my events will more be in the upper 60's (use a sleeveless), or the lower 60's (use a full sleeve).

Having said all that, Roka has a pretty good return policy. You could order the full sleeve and see if that works for you.

Another idea is to get the sleeveless and buy a neoprene head sock for cold events. You lose a ton of heat through your head, and the head sock is a cheap way to add some warmth.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Wetsuits [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started triathlon, a coworker gave me his full-sleeved wetsuit (not a Roka) since he no longer did triathlons. It was a great way to get started swimming in a wetsuit without having to invest money in one. It fit me fine, but I found it restricting for my upper body.

So once I decided I was going to stick with triathlon and I was ready to actually buy a wetsuit for myself, I bought a Roka sleeveless with the idea that I didn't want that restricted feeling I felt in the other one. It was great (is great, I still have it and use it)...very comfortable, warm enough for me unless the water is super cold.

That said, my next wetsuit purchase was a full-sleeved suit because I felt ready to give the sleeved thing another shot, and I wanted to have options (and the speed advantage---I need all the help I can get!).

These days I mostly use the sleeveless for training, and the full-sleeved for racing due to the speed advantage (or at least I used to, back when racing was a thing...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Is there a real speed advantage to a full sleeve vs. no sleeve? Technically in a perfect world yes there is a speed advantage to a full sleeve but that is assuming it fits you perfectly and you are comfortable in it. Full sleeve suits are a tiny bit harder to fit perfectly in and if temps are a little warmer can be uncomfortable so can slow you down. However, if you find one that fits great and you have mild to colder temps it is technically faster. Also, if you are a newer or weaker swimming the full sleeve can feel restrictive and the sleeveless can feel more free. Granted if you have a good fitting full and break it in this becomes a non issue quickly. Last thing to think about as well is time to remove. Sleeveless is a tad faster to get off so if you are doing a lot of shorter races (70.3 and under) the time saved getting it off may very well make up for the the advantage in the water.

2. Most of my races will be in water temps of 60-70. If water temps approach 70's will a full sleeve be too hot? Depends on your tolerance to cold water. I personally am fine in a full sleeve until just over 70 which is when I switch to my sleeveless. If the water is mid 60s I am definitely wearing my full sleeve as I hate cold water... I usually find myself though either wearing my full sleeved one or my swim skin most of the time as the window where I am super comfortable in the sleeveless from a water temp perspective is pretty narrow.

3. Right now the Pro II sleeveless is on sale for $295. Would it be better to buy a Pro II sleeveless or the Comp II full sleeve given they are the same price? I have owned both and really like the feel of the pro II wetsuits over the comps especially on the full sleeved ones where the rubber has a larger impact on feel (i.e. shoulder restriction).

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply