Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II
Quote | Reply
Considering a new wetsuit for the upcoming season. Narrowed my search to the new Roka Maverick II suits (to at least test drive) but trying to decide whether the Pro II is worth the $200 bump over the Elite II.

Has anyone made this decision before? Or tested these suits side-by-side?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [adrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Interested to hear those that decided one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [adrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an Elite I, and it was great. Just got the COMP II, and it's even better. That said, I've never had an issue with shoulder flexibility in a wetsuit. The Comp II, has even better flex than my old Elite I. I realize this doesn't answer your question but thought I'd plug just how amazing the $300 COMP suit is. If you scroll down they have a nice little comparison table, the COMP does not have the arm's up tech. Also Dan wrote a good article on them.



adrooks wrote:
Considering a new wetsuit for the upcoming season. Narrowed my search to the new Roka Maverick II suits (to at least test drive) but trying to decide whether the Pro II is worth the $200 bump over the Elite II.

Has anyone made this decision before? Or tested these suits side-by-side?

Thanks!
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 17, 17 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [KashMoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I was right on the border between two sizes, so I emailed Roka to ask which way they felt I should go. They told me that if I was going to get the elite to go up a size but if I was going to get the pro I could go down a size because the suit would be more flexible and pliable, assuming I didn't mind the snug fit.

The suit showed up last week, but I don't get to swim in it until tomorrow evening. I did try it on, and for what it's worth it does feel great.

I can't give you any sort of comparison because I've never held the elite, that's just my two cents on why I went for the pro versus the elite.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the Comp I and then the Maverick X. Between these two suits, there is no discernible difference in my swim speed. (roughly 50-52 minutes for 3800m OWS)

The comp II solves all the issues with the comp I, so on that basis, the lower quality suit is going to do just fine.

So if you are just looking for which suit will make you faster, I would just go with the cheapest Roka suit; it's *that* good.

That said, with the Maverick X, you do get what you pay for. The way it comes off in transition is blazing fast. The shoulders feel awesome. The way it positions me in the water feels just like I feel without a wetsuit. Other wetsuits, the buoyancy is such that I feel as though I'm paddling, not swimming. The Comp felt much better than these kinds of suits in terms of the feel of swimming, but the Maverick X takes that to a higher level.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, the biggest difference between the Pro II and the Elite II was the sizing. I ordered 2 sizes of the Elite II as I fell directly between sizes. After swimming in both suits, there was no clear winner.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the Pro II sizing chart is shifted slightly (to the right). As a result, I was no longer in between sizes but had a clear winner. The result was a really well fitting suit in the Pro II.

Having now raced in it, the Pro II is incredible. Really well made and comfortable. The most flexible shoulders I've ever found in a wetsuit (coming from someone with a torn labrum). It comes off incredibly easily too in transition. Overall, extremely impressed with Roka. Blows my Xterra out of the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [adrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that you're enjoying your new Maverick Pro II!

Between the Pro II and the Elite II the biggest upgrade is going to be the higher grade of neoprene. This does slightly change the sizing chart and the more flexible suit does make the sizing more forgiving.

The other big upgrade to the Pro II is going to be a more buoyant aerodome centerline buoyancy panel and the addition of our RS2 panels on the outside of the legs. These panels work together to enhance your body rotation while you're swimming. The centerline panel helps your shoulders roll and the RS2 panels takes away the restriction from driving your hip down into the water.

ROKA Customer Experience | support@roka.com | 877-985-7652 M-F 7:30a-8p S 9a-5p CST
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [ROKA_CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROKA_CX wrote:
Great to hear that you're enjoying your new Maverick Pro II!

Between the Pro II and the Elite II the biggest upgrade is going to be the higher grade of neoprene. This does slightly change the sizing chart and the more flexible suit does make the sizing more forgiving.

The other big upgrade to the Pro II is going to be a more buoyant aerodome centerline buoyancy panel and the addition of our RS2 panels on the outside of the legs. These panels work together to enhance your body rotation while you're swimming. The centerline panel helps your shoulders roll and the RS2 panels takes away the restriction from driving your hip down into the water.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Pro has fabric forearm panels, which are supposed to help with feeling the water, but also have the effect of insulating an area with lots of vascularization less well. That may either be a good or bad thing depending on the water temps in which you swim.

The Pro's RS2 panels on the legs also cause the suit to seal just a tad less well, for me and a number of others, and to be a tad less insulated there, too.

I agonized about Pro vs. Elite, and got in a bunch of swims in both before finally deciding that on balance the slight additional flexibility of the Pro was outweighed by the downsides of those extra "features." I've been very happy with my Elite.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
ROKA_CX wrote:
Great to hear that you're enjoying your new Maverick Pro II!

Between the Pro II and the Elite II the biggest upgrade is going to be the higher grade of neoprene. This does slightly change the sizing chart and the more flexible suit does make the sizing more forgiving.

The other big upgrade to the Pro II is going to be a more buoyant aerodome centerline buoyancy panel and the addition of our RS2 panels on the outside of the legs. These panels work together to enhance your body rotation while you're swimming. The centerline panel helps your shoulders roll and the RS2 panels takes away the restriction from driving your hip down into the water.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Pro has fabric forearm panels, which are supposed to help with feeling the water, but also have the effect of insulating an area with lots of vascularization less well. That may either be a good or bad thing depending on the water temps in which you swim.

The Pro's RS2 panels on the legs also cause the suit to seal just a tad less well, for me and a number of others, and to be a tad less insulated there, too.

I agonized about Pro vs. Elite, and got in a bunch of swims in both before finally deciding that on balance the slight additional flexibility of the Pro was outweighed by the downsides of those extra "features." I've been very happy with my Elite.

Were you able to test them before buying?
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I ordered both and returned one.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Yep, I ordered both and returned one.

I read your reply and thought what ?!?!

But sure enough I just checked and they say order up to 4 try them and keep the one you like

So thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be buying a new wetsuit as well. Moving from Xterra to Roka. After reading this thread, I think it is safe to assume that one would only consider the Maverick X if they had that much disposable income. I was considering the Maverick X or the Pro II. I think I will stick with the Pro II and spend the difference on new tires and latex tubes.

2019: IMTX | IM70.3 WC | IMAZ
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
I will be buying a new wetsuit as well. Moving from Xterra to Roka. After reading this thread, I think it is safe to assume that one would only consider the Maverick X if they had that much disposable income. I was considering the Maverick X or the Pro II. I think I will stick with the Pro II and spend the difference on new tires and latex tubes.

x2 to everything you said. The difference between the X and Pro is minimal in my eyes... especially at the price point.

Only difference between you and I is that I'm banking the money for the new HED Blacks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick Pro II vs. Elite II [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
I will be buying a new wetsuit as well. Moving from Xterra to Roka. After reading this thread, I think it is safe to assume that one would only consider the Maverick X if they had that much disposable income. I was considering the Maverick X or the Pro II. I think I will stick with the Pro II and spend the difference on new tires and latex tubes.

Personally I think the Elite is the sweetspot in the line, as did Dan when he reviewed the prior versions of the suits. But that's a subjective preference. It's impossible for anyone on the interwebs to tell you which suit will be fastest on you (and it wouldn't be all that surprising if it didn't turn out to be most expensive one), and it's impossible for anyone to tell you how much faster the fastest one will be. All that said, my best guess is the sweetspot for most folks, assuming budget matters at least somewhat, is somewhere between the Elite and the Pro. If you're the kind of person who's always going to wonder whether you should have bought the other suit, buy both, test them to your heart's content, and return one. I'm that kind of person, and I'm really happy I did that. Ask me how many Cobb saddles I ordered before returning all but one... :)
Quote Reply