Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc
Quote | Reply
He didn't say that out loud AFAIK, but he must be wondering since 2020 started very similar to 2019, with the TT World Champ getting beaten by Luke Durbridge again for the Australian National TT title. https://cyclingtips.com/...ie-time-trial-title/

He is their protected rider for the TDU, so surely his form is good?

Dennis in latest kit:

Dennis at World Championships in 2019:

Wheels and helmet are the same. So it must be the frame and the suit (and gloves, shoe covers). Maybe tires...
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he anywhere close to peak form at this time of year?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... but, but, but, we're in the age of "peak aero" and the differences in wheels and frames and helmets etc. are supposed to be negligible from one mfg. to another. Right?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aint he is focusing on tokyo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His position seems different though, eyeballed an extra ~20 mm aerobar drop from saddle position (don't have time to use software to do a real measurement). He seems to be going from a roundish back power position (i.e. Tony Martin-ish) to a more text book flat back. They did the same with Castroviejo who went from extreme to like super extreme and did not seem to give him a great advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is he anywhere close to peak form at this time of year?

Why would Durbridge be different? Or anyone else for that matter?

I would expect Dennis to be in good shape since he had a very light racing schedule in 2019 (he didn't need to rest and recuperate), it's summer (easy to train), it's his home turf, and Ineos has a decent team there for the TDU, and he is their protected rider (in it for the win). In other words, his condition should be as good as anyone's.

I just think it's funny in kinda a sick way, after all the BS last year about his equipment being subpar. No, I don't actually believe his equipment is a problem, nor was it the problem last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
His position seems different though.

I'm willing to bet it's exactly the same... to the mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the world champ's stripes skinsuit the exact one he'd wear at the UCI worlds?

I thought people are often unhappy with the TdF skinsuits when they're in yellow for a TT?

I'd have to assume they tailored him one.

Lastly, is the guy who won purely a TT person? Kinda like an Obree? Or is that person also a pro who races road? Difference between a pure TT rider and a pro cyclist who specializes in TT. Kind of like difference between a guy who only shoots freethrows versus a pro baller who happens to be good at freethrows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't expect either of them to be peaking in January, but just because neither have peaked doesn't mean they're at the same phase in training. there are gonna be differences.

I didn't know the historical context about complaints that equipment was subpar last year.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can compare the goals of Dennis and Durbridge. Durbridge is a good TTer, but more like just outside the top 10 in the world. It's very likely that he would focus on being near peak for the nationals, while Dennis would come in with good form not the kind of form that could risk being flat by the Olympics and WC. Durbridge would be a much longer shot to medal at either of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Is the world champ's stripes skinsuit the exact one he'd wear at the UCI worlds?

I thought people are often unhappy with the TdF skinsuits when they're in yellow for a TT?

I'd have to assume they tailored him one.

Lastly, is the guy who won purely a TT person? Kinda like an Obree? Or is that person also a pro who races road? Difference between a pure TT rider and a pro cyclist who specializes in TT. Kind of like difference between a guy who only shoots freethrows versus a pro baller who happens to be good at freethrows.

they're both continental pros.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
I don't think you can compare the goals of Dennis and Durbridge. Durbridge is a good TTer, but more like just outside the top 10 in the world. It's very likely that he would focus on being near peak for the nationals, while Dennis would come in with good form not the kind of form that could risk being flat by the Olympics and WC. Durbridge would be a much longer shot to medal at either of those.
This. Rohan has not had any issues calling out equipment or teams in the past. He seemed quite cordial after the race. Maybe not starving himself has made him less ornery.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
His position seems different though, eyeballed an extra ~20 mm aerobar drop from saddle position (don't have time to use software to do a real measurement). He seems to be going from a roundish back power position (i.e. Tony Martin-ish) to a more text book flat back. They did the same with Castroviejo who went from extreme to like super extreme and did not seem to give him a great advantage.
You have precise eyeballs.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Lastly, is the guy who won purely a TT person? Kinda like an Obree? Or is that person also a pro who races road?

Don't quite get Jason's joke. I think he's just a troll.

He definitely rides a full schedule for MItchelton-Scott. While two years ago he would have been considered purely a TT/TTT guy and domestique for flat stages, they tried unleashing him two years ago on a full classics schedule, and it went pretty darn well, 4th at E3 and Dwars, 6th at Strade. His emergence as a classics rider was since derailed by a bad crash last year. Hopefully this year we can see what he does.

His TT win should also be noted in the context of Durbridge having road *hard* to help get his teammate Cameron Meyer the win in the road race (which Durbridge finished 4th in) - Dennis did not participate in the RR.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 15, 20 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Lastly, is the guy who won purely a TT person?

Durbridge is a domestique. He's obviously a good TTer, but he's on fulltime support duty. https://www.procyclingstats.com/.../luke-durbridge/2019

^^Good post by trail.
Last edited by: rruff: Jan 15, 20 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I should have just searched for that one, but great info!
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
This. Rohan has not had any issues calling out equipment or teams in the past. He seemed quite cordial after the race. Maybe not starving himself has made him less ornery.

He was cordial after he lost last year, too. He didn't call out Merida publicly until much later.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road race was after the TT, correct? Not sure how Durbridge riding in the RR as a support rider a few days later would impact his TT performance.

That said, Durbridge is a strong motor who rides as a domestique most of the season as part of the "engine room" for his team. However, he is not likely to beat Dennis when both are peaked and prepped for the course. Dennis goals this year are some week long stage races, TT stages and the Olympics. Fair to say he was not close to peak form or all that motivated for the race.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the sentiment of the post and agree for the most part. That said, I suspect RD's mindset isn't as results oriented as you might first think. I suspect he originally had a problem with the Merida... then used results to justify it. From interviews, he seems to be hyped on the Sky equipment... which sort of explains why he didn't seem perturbed by the loss. In both cases his mind may have already been made up what he thought about his equipment before the results came in.

I follow the thinking that he also probably wasn't in top TT shape, especially if he knew he'd be on the TDU squad.
Finally, while I don't exactly think it's the case here, it's not unprecedented for a World Champs national pride to come into play and to want the nat jersey worn in big events, by someone.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jan 15, 20 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Road race was after the TT, correct? Not sure how Durbridge riding in the RR as a support rider a few days later would impact his TT performance.

Strange, last year the TT was last, this year it's first. Guess they switched it up. Fair point, then.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Lastly, is the guy who won purely a TT person? Kinda like an Obree? Or is that person also a pro who races road?

Don't quite get Jason's joke. I think he's just a troll.

He definitely rides a full schedule for MItchelton-Scott. While two years ago he would have been considered purely a TT/TTT guy and domestique for flat stages, they tried unleashing him two years ago on a full classics schedule, and it went pretty darn well, 4th at E3 and Dwars, 6th at Strade. His emergence as a classics rider was since derailed by a bad crash last year. Hopefully this year we can see what he does.

His TT win should also be noted in the context of Durbridge having road *hard* to help get his teammate Cameron Meyer the win in the road race (which Durbridge finished 4th in) - Dennis did not participate in the RR.

Turbo Durbo also talked about all of the sacrifice for this the past few months. It was his first goal of the year. Rohan definitely isn't peaking right now. All credit to Luke; mega ride, but he doesn't sniff Rohan when he is fresh and motivated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always TT takes place on Thursday or Friday and then the RR at the weekend.

TT results really depend on whether Rohan was training to peak for this TT or for the TDU almost two weeks later where he will lead the Ineos team. Whereas Durbridge is always going to be a domestique in the TDU, so he is more likely to peak for the nationals where he gets some freedom to race for himself for once.

Regarding Rohan’s position the two photos do sugggest a very different position between the BMC he rode at the Worlds and knows very, very well. .....vs the Bolide which he got on for the first time just 6-8 weeks ago. Or it might just be a slightly different angle that the two photos were taken from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet is not the same. You're slipping, Ron! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis: "Ineos's TT equipment is also crap" ... Pinarello, Castelli, Pro, Kask, etc [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
Always TT takes place on Thursday or Friday and then the RR at the weekend.

Last year the Elite RR was on January 6th, and the TT was on January 8th. [CN]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my riders is on a Pina team - setting up the F12s has been a pain (minimum spacer stack 30mm under the stem!)
Not looking forward to the Bolide - bit different if you have skyneos resources to make bar bits as required.
Quote Reply

Prev Next