Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roast my swim
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Now that a lot of the people here are focusing on their swim, I thought I give it a try as well. Lately made a lot of improvement and went from 1:54/100m CSS in September to 1:44/100m this week. Have been increasing my times in the pool to 4 times doing around 9-10k a week. To realize the above improvement I mainly focused on increasing my spm (currently at around 58 comfortably) and, I guess, just more volume/fitness.

Few weeks ago I started with a personal swim trainer who helps me a lot but would like to get more opinions on where I should focus on. Currently focusing on the push of my stroke as I often do not fully extent to the back. As a FYI, I have never focused on or tried to improve my kick.

Looking at below videos, what should be my main focus points to make easiest/fastest gains? EDIT: added video's from more angles.

Under water - Right side

Above water - Top

Under water - Front

Under water - Left

Cheers!
Last edited by: Laurens4790: Jan 7, 20 23:59
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay, a swim improvement thread!

Immediately obvious, you're dropping your elbow quite a bit (I put in that phrase just for Darkspeedworks, just embracing my inner troll today ;-)

I will explain though. You see at the beginning of your stroke at the catch, your elbow is moving down before your hand? you really want the opposite, get your hand and down first.

try to not reach as deep. you're losing leverage. You want your elbow to form a (roughly) 120-100 degree angle at the meaty part of the pull.

Don't worry too much about the finsh of the stroke. There's not a ton of propulsion there, since the forearm is no longer perpendicular.

those are the couple of things that jump out. I like your body position overall, legs are up and I don't see a ton of drag from them. There are some things you can do with timing your kick with your arms better, I think.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 7, 20 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:
Hi All,

Now that a lot of the people here are focusing on their swim, I thought I give it a try as well. Lately made a lot of improvement and went from 1:54/100m CSS in September to 1:44/100m this week. Have been increasing my times in the pool to 4 times doing around 9-10k a week. To realize the above improvement I mainly focused on increasing my spm (currently at around 58 comfortably) and, I guess, just more volume/fitness.

Few weeks ago I started with a personal swim trainer who helps me a lot but would like to get more opinions on where I should focus on. Currently focusing on the push of my stroke as I often do not fully extent to the back. As a FYI, I have never focused on or tried to improve my kick.

Looking at below video, what should be my main focus points to make easiest/fastest gains?

Cheers!

It's been proven (scientifically) time and time AND time again that knowing how to do flip turns improve efficiency.
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jason. Elbow is indeed also an attention point raised by my coach. Really like your tip of not reaching so far. Did not think of it that way before. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what Jason said, looks to me like you are turning too much when breathing. Try to keep one goggle under the water, and look right along the water surface.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful Adrian, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Immediately obvious, you're dropping your elbow quite a bit (I put in that phrase just for Darkspeedworks, just embracing my inner troll today ;-)

I will explain though. You see at the beginning of your stroke at the catch, your elbow is moving down before your hand? you really want the opposite, get your hand and down first.

try to not reach as deep. you're losing leverage. You want your elbow to form a (roughly) 120-100 degree angle at the meaty part of the pull.

Don't worry too much about the finsh of the stroke. There's not a ton of propulsion there, since the forearm is no longer perpendicular.

those are the couple of things that jump out. I like your body position overall, legs are up and I don't see a ton of drag from them. There are some things you can do with timing your kick with your arms better, I think.

+1

The obvious improvement area is fixing the dropped elbows. Overall your stroke looks good.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP, I looked pretty similar a year ago. To help the elbow drop issue I did a few things

(1) Increase flexibility - I had super tight lats and shoulders. Spent a fair amount of time hanging and stretching with a strap to help my arms reach full extension through the lats/armpit upon hand entry.

(2) Hand entry - your hand enters the water pretty close to your head, which creates a downward angle so your arm dives down when you extend. Try to think about not letting that hand hit the water until it's a few inches further out in front of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

+1 for embracing your inner troll. ;-) I hear you're known for it.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 7, 20 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have many pet trolls, so I am all good with that !

So a few things:

- Your body position is not too bad.

- Do not bilaterally breath. Instead, breath every full stroke cycle, but be able to do this on your left side AND also on your right side.

- Your head is a bit low, lower than it needs to be (and this adds unnecessary drag). But don't "lift" your head to fix this, but instead angle it slightly more ahead. So, instead of looking at the pool bottom under you, look a bit ahead of you on the pool bottom.

- Spread open your hands so that all of your fingers have about (on average) 5-10mm between them, depending on big your hand is: huge hands can afford a bit more space between each finger than smaller hands. This will greatly expands the size of your paddles.

- Do not swim with a watch, never race with a watch.

- You don't need to rotate your head as much as you do to breath, really only 1 eye needs to be out of the water and your mouth should be barely, barely above the water surface. You end up breathing below the surface of the water, because your moving face creates a little 'pocket' that is actually below the average water surface of the pool.

- Your pull is where the biggest issue is. Instead of getting your forearm vertical as soon as possible (which is a good set up for a solid pull), you are instead "sliding" your arm back (with the elbow kind of leading) so you do not get a full amount of 'purchase' in the water. How to fix this? Look at youtube and search "early vertical forearm" or variants of this. EVF will help you tremendously. I have no idea who this guy is, but his explanation of it is not too bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6952cAAXHFk

I could offer more useful feedback if you can get a video of yourself from above the water (1) from the side and (as best as possible) (2) from above. Swim in a wall lane and have the video person film from the side and then from above while he/she walks alongside you swimming.

Good luck,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 7, 20 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the comments regarding dropping you elbow on the catch, it also looks like you are feathering your right hand just after the catch, releasing pressure on it. As you will be working on the high elbows, and keeping your hand closer to your chest, also make sure that your hand stays perpendicular to your body from the catch to when it is withdrawn; especially when you are tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I say this to everyone, pull some more water. That was like 25 strokes for 25m. A few others have already hit on it, but after hand entry before you start pulling and your arm is Horizontal with the bottom of the pool(more or less) sweep your hand kind of out and down and really grab onto the water, and not just let it slide backwards following your elbow like everybody else has said. It’s almost like trying to grab the water and pull yourself up and over your hand....if that makes sense. Also liken it to a one handed pull up. You need to use all the muscle in your upper body to pull yourself forward... Biceps, triceps, traps, delts, lats, pecks, etc....not just kind of moving your hand through the water.

Adding Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONx52cyltI
Last edited by: H2Owings: Jan 7, 20 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

So a few things:

- Do not bilaterally breath. Instead, breath every full stroke cycle, but be able to do this on your left side AND also on your right side.

- Your head is a bit low, lower than it needs to be (and this adds unnecessary drag). But don't "lift" your head to fix this, but instead angle it slightly more ahead. So, instead of looking at the pool bottom under you, look a bit ahead of you on the pool bottom.

- Spread open your hands so that all of your fingers have about (on average) 5-10mm between them, depending on big your hand is: huge hands can afford a bit more space between each finger than smaller hands. This will greatly expands the size of your paddles.

- Do not swim with a watch, never race with a watch.

- You don't need to rotate your head as much as you do to breath, really only 1 eye needs to be out of the water and your mouth should be barely, barely above the water surface. You end up breathing below the surface of the water, because your moving face creates a little 'pocket' that is actually below the average water surface of the pool.

- Your pull is where the biggest issue is. Instead of getting your forearm vertical as soon as possible (which is a good set up for a solid pull), you are instead "sliding" your arm back (with the elbow kind of leading) so you do not get a full amount of 'purchase' in the water. How to fix this? Look at youtube and search "early vertical forearm" or variants of this. EVF will help you tremendously. I have no idea who this guy is, but his explanation of it is not too bad:

I could offer more useful feedback if you can get a video of yourself from above the water (1) from the side and (as best as possible) (2) from above. Swim in a wall lane and have the video person film from the side and then from above while he/she walks alongside you swimming.

Good luck,
Greg @ dsw

Greg....am interested in your advice to not swim with a watch. Can you elaborate? I always train with a watch and our squad uses Finis tempo trainers as well for cycle times etc. I find I get decent value out of the watch as it gives me good information about what I am doing intervals in and rest periods. Yes, I know you can get all of that information from the pace clock but it is not always so easy at the pool I swim at. Was just interested in the rationale for your advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch creates drag.

Nevertheless, I always wear a watch so I can make sure I see the times.
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooohhhh... So that's why I'm slow!!! Between that and my bubbles.... 10 or 20s/100y?

Pink is up to you....
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 7, 20 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The watch creates drag.

Nevertheless, I always wear a watch so I can make sure I see the times.

I am glad that is the reason....
What are we talking per 100m....can't be more than a second or two??
I would try it one of these days but then would need someone else to properly time my laps!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A watch might slow you down 0.2 seconds per 100 yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Oooohhhh... So that's why I'm slow!!! Between that and my bubbles.... 10 or 20s/100y?

Pink is up to you....

I’m starting to think someone hacked his account a week or so back

He used to be a nice guy selling bento boxes but lately he’s posting very aggressively and will such silly things
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I agree with Tom....way too many bubbles!

I think focusing on one thing at a time is enough. Your one thing should be the catch. Get your fingers/forearm pointed towards the bottom as quickly as possible and for as long as possible. The key is moving more water. You need to find a visual that works for you, but I like to imagine my forearm is flat against a wall and I am pushing/pulling myself forward.

Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I am very inflexible as well ;) This is chasing me in all three disciplines in triathlon but guess I still need to put more effort in this. Thanks for your tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi DarkSpeedWorks, thanks a lot for your extensive feedback! Really appriciated. See below some follow-up questions and comments.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

So a few things:

Why is this? I always got taught when I just started that bilateral breading is the best. Maybe this differs for pool versus open water swimming?

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Woah, this is very new to me. All my trainers all kept on pushing me to close my fingers as I always used to have them open. Is it most common to open your fingers or are you just from a different school? :)

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Thanks and agreed with the above. These are my biggest flaws and guess I will be going to put a lot of effort in this coming weeks.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

More feedback would be much appriciated. On (1) do you mean something different than the last part of the first video? Thought that is already from the side above the water. For (2), see my start post, I have added another video from above. Also uploaded another video from the other side of the swim under water and front the front underwater just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Roast my swim [oh_the_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you mention, I see this as well. Thanks. Will need to think of a lot when improving my catch:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to feedback re a few things:
1. Bilateral breathing: most people will recommend that you have the ability to breathe to both sides when required. But, you are likely to find when swimming at pace breathing to a preferred side every stroke cycle is likely to be better in many ways. Just make sure you can breathe to both sides etc as you never quite know when in a race you will be forced to only breathe to one side.
2. Re leaving a small gap between fingers: basically it has been shown that by leaving a small gap (but not too large), you essentially increase the overall surface area of your fingers and hands, meaning you have a bigger paddle to grab water with and propel yourself forwards. Therefore ideally you should aim to have your fingers ever so slightly spread open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
am interested in your advice to not swim with a watch. Can you elaborate? I always train with a watch and our squad uses Finis tempo trainers as well for cycle times etc. I find I get decent value out of the watch as it gives me good information about what I am doing intervals in and rest periods. Yes, I know you can get all of that information from the pace clock but it is not always so easy at the pool I swim at. Was just interested in the rationale for your advice.

(Fyi, this watch suggestion is meant for very fast, excellent, decent, medium, and slow swimmers. But if you're an elite, world-class swimmer or make a good living (better than $100,000 USD salary per year) as a professional triathlete, then you probably don't need to worry about this.)

To start, I have nothing against watches or time keeping (well, as long as it is not super obsessive). But in my many years of swimming, there seems to be a connection between swimmers who have a poor to dreadful stroke and swimmers who insist on wearing a giant watch while swimming. And, sure, the watch adds some drag. For example, in a 2.4 mile swim, a relatively decent swimmer will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,700 swim stroke cyles (plus/minus).

So if you have big honkin' watch on one of your wrists, you will be plunging that arm and that watch into the water almost 3,000 times. Will that take extra energy? Absolutely, yes. Will that add to your swim time? Yes. By how much? Who knows. I am a decent swimmer, but I would rather not lose a single second when I am racing. If that means I don't wear a watch in the water, no worries on my part.

Then, for most people who are working on fixing their strokes, they often struggle to get a better feel for the water, not to create excess unnecessary turbulence, to improve efficiency, to get faster, and to get better left-right stroke symmetry. Strapping a brick on to one of your wrists harms all of those efforts. Having a watch on your wrist while swimming makes almost as much sense as putting a watch around one of your ankles while running, or around one of your tires while biking.

If you need to keep track of time in the pool, just look at the regular clock or pace clock at your pool, or just put the watch on the pool deck at the end of your lane. Problem solved.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 8, 20 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next