Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roadie dabbling in tris
Quote | Reply
After doing a few team triathlons in the past, having a blast and enjoying the comradery and friendliness of tri-folk, I'm thinking of trying a few Tris by myself this summer.. Ok, ok, the real reason is the free post-race beer =). Not caring much about results, rather just having a good time. I'm a decent swimmer from my younger days, but my running form leaves something to be desired (maybe something to do with my sprinter quads=). I did run 2-3x a week over the winter as cross training, which has certainly helped me as a runner.

I guess I'm curious as to whether increasing my running to 4x a week (lunch hours mainly, ~:50 min), along with two swim days per week might begin to adversely affect my cycling form. I'll keep my 250-350 miles per week on the bike unchanged. Stamina and recovery have never been a problem for me in the past, but then I've never really done any running during the racing season. All the triathletes I know came from a running background, so they can't really relate.

In bike racing, my strengths are criteriums and sprinting, but I can more than hold my own in triathlon time trials.

Thanks,

-Ron
Quote Reply
Re: Roadie dabbling in tris [velo2002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started tri quite late in life a few years ago on a lark as a celebration of my 50th birthday. In high school I ran 100 m and anchor on the 4 x 100 m relay team. Considered 200m my "long run".

Started tri and and hadn't ran at all for over 25 yrs. Had never ran 5 kms at any one time in my life. I'm a natural on the bike, average on the swim but my running is slowly progressing from really bad to just bad. Can now run a 24 minute 5 kms or a 10 km around 50 minutes. Not exactly speed city, but considering my lack of running background, if I can do it, then anyone can.

Get's a bit frustrating though when you go to a tri and turn one of the fastest AG bike splits and then watch them all blow by you on the run. I'll just keep working on it even though I find running to be a real chore. Love the bike and the post race beer though.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadie dabbling in tris [velo2002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 My experience has been that running helps your cycling but cycling messes up your running, unless you use Powercranks, in which case cycling actually helps your running.

Be careful with all the fitness you have from cycling. Sometmes cyclists coming into multisport (and swimmers) can have so much aerobic fitness they get injuries from pushing themselves into a pattern of relatively high mileage training. Remember, although you are super fit you may not necessarily have the specific preparation to do big running miles. Your fitness may support it, but your soft tissues may not. It sounds like you already know that. One thing for sure, your fitness on the bike and bike handling skills will serve you well. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply