Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road vs Mountain Shoes
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice. I am a MOP age grouper just starting to get serious about Triathalon. I came from mountain biking and have just been riding my mountain shoes with SPD pedals. They are Pearl Izumi Project X carbon soled shoes, so they are high end mountain shoes and definitely not super flexible.

Will I see significant improvement in power transfer going to to a road shoe with SPD SLs and new pedals?

Trying to decide what still needs upgrading. Just spent a good bit on a bike and was wondering if I am handicapping myself by not changing shoes/cleats/pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Road vs Mountain Shoes [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri shoes are easier/faster to get in and out of. You'll save more time in transition than you'll save out on the road.

There's probably other things more worth of your money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nah, those are good shoes. You'll be fine with them.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that you are comfortable with your PEARL iZUMi mountain bike shoes. Rarely are things a needed upgrade and cost is certainly a valid reason to not upgrade. Keep in mind that if you switch to a Road specific shoe, there is also the cost of pedals.

With that said benefits of switching to road specific shoes include:
1. Weight - This is both the saving in the shoe itself and also the road pedal
2. Connection - for the most part, road shoe / pedal interface is a more "positive" connection that a mountain interface. With a road pedal you are much more "locked in" with less toggle or extraneous movement
3. Adjustability - Road systems allow a wide range of fit adjustments. Cleat position, rotation and canting are often more than can be achieved with a mountain system
4. Stiffness of the plate: While many see this as the most important, I see it as the least. There is a good chance you will never feel an increase in speed or wattage due to the stiffness of the plate. However, in my opinion, comfort can be improved with decreased plate flex especially under high torque situations such as lower cadence out of saddle climbing.

Costs associated with switching:
1. Financial Cost
2. Ease of use: Initially road pedals can have a more difficult learning curve for clipping in and out
3. Float is decreased: Typically mountain cleats have more range of motion to wiggle your feet on the pedal. For some this is a benefit
4. Ease of walking: Lets face it, road cleats on smooth surfaces is always "exciting".

Dependent on which of the above points are relevant to you is whether you should make the switch.
Typically as people become more experienced in triathlon they gravitate toward road shoes and pedals. When this happens is up to you.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Road vs Mountain Shoes [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Tri shoes are easier/faster to get in and out of. You'll save more time in transition than you'll save out on the road.

There's probably other things more worth of your money.

yeah. that's pretty much it, IMO.

if your shoes are comfortable, and you like the way they feel while riding, don't change anything.

assuming these are mtb shoes w/a recessed cleat, you might even claw back some of that lost shoe-changing time by being able to have a more normal gait while running your bike in/out of the transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better power transfer? Technically, the bike science says yes. But we're talking about such a tiny improvement it would not be noticeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Road vs Mountain Shoes [Quitou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've already addressed the common road shoe improvement, carbon construction.

Since you don't have time for shoe covers, everyone is in the same boat there as long as you aren't wearing ski boots or something super non-aero.

I'd think that if the aero is marginally different, being able to run without busting your ass in transition would be a benefit of carbon soled and velcro closure MTB or cyclocross shoes.

A cyclocross shoe might be tighter or more aero than a MTB shoe while retaining running ability, because in cross.......you have to run.
Quote Reply