Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road racing bike
Quote | Reply
Thinking about a new aero bike for crit and road racing. See no reason to go with discs.

Top of the list is a Canyon Aeroad (specs are great, and I know they have a new one coming out). Another option is building up an old new Cervelo S5, but hard to get close to the Canyon for the money.

Anything else I should be considering?
Quote Reply
Re: Road racing bike [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:
Thinking about a new aero bike for crit and road racing. See no reason to go with discs.

Top of the list is a Canyon Aeroad (specs are great, and I know they have a new one coming out). Another option is building up an old new Cervelo S5, but hard to get close to the Canyon for the money.

How long is a piece of string? There's plenty of good aero bikes out there - Cannondale System Six, Giant Propel, Colnago Concept, Felt AR, Merida Reacto, Argon 18 Nitrogen, Specialized Venge/Allez Sprint, Trek Madone etc, etc, etc.

I recommend speaking to a good bike fitter who is independent from a bike shop (preferably a physiotherapist or biomechanist), see what they recommend in terms of geometry and go from there. It's rare to find poorly manufactured bikes these days, suitability to the rider is the main issue now.
Quote Reply
Re: Road racing bike [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They all have relatively similar stack and reach in my size, so it's down to performance, price and specs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Canyon. I love mine (it's disc, though). Looks, feels and is fastest bike I've ridden. The specs are awesome (save the saddle which is personal anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Road racing bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The field for rim brake aero is pretty small these days, but those Aeroads are super nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the clean look (and probably more aero) of the disc set-up is great. The only drawback is the inability to switch out wheelsets- unless you’re not on a budget. And the e-tap is sweet.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Road racing bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy from a LBS that sells/services the brand. Aero road bikes and modern TT bikes can present some cabling challenges if you're buying mechanical instead of Di2. Meaning, you either will cuss and swear for a week doing the repairs yourself OR you need a competent shop.

Or, buy a Di2 version and avoid that little problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Road racing bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Buy from a LBS that sells/services the brand. Aero road bikes and modern TT bikes can present some cabling challenges if you're buying mechanical instead of Di2. Meaning, you either will cuss and swear for a week doing the repairs yourself OR you need a competent shop.

Or, buy a Di2 version and avoid that little problem.
I wouldn't necessarily consider that fact - I bought a new Speedmax, stripped it and rebuilt it from the ground up and recabling was not hard at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:

Me and several guys on my race team ride Aeroads and we all love it. Some ride rim brakes and some disc - I'm with disc. The bike has been totally awesome with that perfect balance between stiffness, comfort and handling. Every ride I do, I'm impressed with the bike, even after 15 months now.
Quote Reply