Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32?
Quote | Reply
Recently bought a Fuji Gran Fondo which came with Vittoria Rubino 30c. I was looking for a comfortable bike - planning to do some longer rides this year.

The bike is really comfortable- not sure how much the big tires are the difference vs. the geometry etc. But, 250 miles in and I got a couple flats, so it's time to go tubeless. On the tri bike I have Schwalbe Pro One 25c tires which I like, but I was thinking of going with the Conti GP 50s for the road bike.

I'm wondering, should I go down to 28c or up to 32c if I go with the Contis? The 30c tires I had seem big, but I keep reading that bigger tires are a good thing these days. Would the 32c tires be substantially slower than the 28c tires?

Any advice appreciated. I'm happy with tubeless on the tri bike and am 100% certain that I'm going tubeless on this one.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go 32c, you will not notice a difference in speed and will be able to run even lower pressure. That's what I have on my road bike and it's glorious.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for 32's I have the GP5000 TL in 32 on my road wheelset for my gravel bike. I had 28's on before. Sounds like your road bike is setup for longer rides with comfort as a priority. The extra width is nice to run lower tire pressure and the don't feel slower than the 28's I replaced. Even if I'm losing a couple watts, on this bike that isn't my main concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Just ordered the 32c tires.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 60 to 65 psi but I'm 210 lbs. For a more average sized rider, say 160-180lb somewhere in the 50's would be a good place to start for comfort. I think i saw Sean H (poster above) mention he rides around 50psi in another thread.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the rolling resistance difference is negligible between the 2 sizes. There'd be an aero penalty but that not a big issue for group rides and fun events beacuse you're in a pack and not going extremely fast.

Think of it this way, most group rides are going to have a few people running 23mm Gatorskins pumped up to 120 psi or something crazy like that. Your 32mm GP5000's are still going to be one of the faster tires on the ride, and likely the most comfortable :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using the bike to race or training?

If it’s training then it makes no difference if the tyre is slower on not. Even if it was it would be negligible.

32c tubeless at the appropriate pressure for you will give a rice comfy ride and probably help you get more miles in.

GP5000 are the best tubeless tyres I’ve used, for fitting and in use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Do you think going from 28 to 32 would hurt my speed significantly? I don't race, just ride for fun with friends and on occasion a bigger group ride as part of the PMC team. I usually don't ride with a hard core group of roadies.

Nah, for the riding you’re doing no discernible speed penalty and the 32s will be nice and comfy :) just be sure to adjust your pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here's my thought after thousands of miles on both. No question running 50psi or less on the road is fantastic on the 32's.

I have actually found myself almost liking the 28 with a little big higher pressure more.....from more of a performance standpoint as a roadie. Not for racing, but just overall feel.

The 32's while they ride like a couch perform a little more like a couch at low psi. Of course I could raise PSI a bit, but I still feel like the 28's feel a little more responsive. Maybe it's just me, but I ride my bike a ton and actually may gravitate a bit back to the more narrow 28.

I do a lot of gravel, MTB, and Fat Bike as well so I'm all about big, but I think there's a point where big might be too big :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Semi hijack. For those who are running the 32mm GP 5000. What rims/wheels are you using them on and what width do they measure out to?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
I run 60 to 65 psi but I'm 210 lbs. For a more average sized rider, say 160-180lb somewhere in the 50's would be a good place to start for comfort. I think i saw Sean H (poster above) mention he rides around 50psi in another thread.

Do I understand you use 32 mm GP 5000 s at 75 psi on gravel roads and are pleased with it ?

Has anybody used Hutchinson Sector on gravel pavement mix ?

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my 32's measure just over 30mm on My Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset. I think these rims are 19mm internal width, so not overly wide by today's standards.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [go.dog.go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go.dog.go wrote:
CyclingClyde wrote:

Do I understand you use 32 mm GP 5000 s at 75 psi on gravel roads and are pleased with it ?

Has anybody used Hutchinson Sector on gravel pavement mix ?

I use them at about 60 on smooth gravel, but mostly use the GP5000 for road with some short connector gravel trails. I have set of 650b wheels with 47mm tires for when I want to do longer or more technical gravel rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike tire recommendation- GP 5000 28 or 32? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Semi hijack. For those who are running the 32mm GP 5000. What rims/wheels are you using them on and what width do they measure out to?

I have mine on enve 5.6 and they’re just a hair over 32mm iirc. This is the non tubeless version.
Quote Reply