Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike recommendation
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a new road bike! I race tri's on a Softride PowerWing (BEST tri bike ever!, But I digress)
I have a lower back issue. I have a steel LeMond and a steel Colnago and a carbon Kestrel SCi. When I ride any of these for @ 40 miles or more my lower back is in pain and sometimes I have spasms. I know I can build up another Softride as a road bike, but I want to put more miles in on a road bike and get back to doing some road races. Any suggestions for a more compliant/comfortable road bike.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike recommendation [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure your fit is good on the road bikes you currently have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming your fit is good, I would just invest in some tubeless wheels that allow you to run tires at 80 psi. I really doubt your frame is the issue....
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike recommendation [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
Assuming your fit is good, I would just invest in some tubeless wheels that allow you to run tires at 80 psi. I really doubt your frame is the issue....

hmm, but then you are slowing yourself down to be comfy when a titanflex could still run pressures optimal for rolling resistance, and better tires =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Litespeed Xicon is a very comfy riding bike and is still race capable. But i agree you shoudl have your fit checked to make sure that is not the cause of your pain.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike recommendation [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fit is great. I set it up and my fit and adjustments were checked and confirmed by John Cobb.
I want a road bike (USCF legal) so I can do some road races. Otherwise, I would get a Titan Flex or another Softride.

Other ideas?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with looking for a compliant frame, but we are talking a matter of a ~1-3 mm difference in terms of how much the frame flexes over a huge bump. I'm sorry to bear bad news but that will not save your back.

Tires/wheels can help as someone else mentioned, as those will probably flex more than your frame.

The huge key for me was getting a good fit. I thought I had a great fit- I was putting out alot of power and could climb great. However, I can totally relate on the back spasm issue! I got a Wobblenaught fit, not saying it would work for everyone but it worked PERFECTLY for me.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the titanflex would only be illegal in a few usac races:

Quote:
) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at
events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international
competition or national teams. All bicycles used in Federation
National Championship (for age 17 and older riders) and NRC
races must comply with the current UCI regulations.

races other than those, it is legal

and yeah, sometimes a 1cm upward move with the bars can solve lower back problems, worth at try

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Aug 12, 11 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike recommendation [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if I understand correctly, a Softride and a Titan Flex are legal for USCF road races if it is not a USCF National Champioship race? If so, COOL!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply