Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Road bike higher end components worth price? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The upgrade from Tiagra (10 speed) to 105 (11 speed) is worth it in my opinion, but the additional upgrades to ultegra or durace are generally considered marginal gains. New 105 is pretty good now-a-days!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I am looking to upgrade my road bike. I have a 2015 Giant Defy aluminum, entry level bike. I am looking at a Specialized Robaix. The basic model with Tiara, disc brakes, is about $2200. If I went for better components, the price goes up about $400 for Ultegra and then another $400 for Dura-Ace. I don’t know much about the difference in higher end components. Is it worth the extra cost? I have only owned bikes with the entry level components. What would I gain by paying more money for the same frame and same disc brakes?

I do not race, just ride for fun. I have an old Felt B-16 that I can use if I decided to race a sprint tri.

That $2200 price has got to be for 105, no? Agreed that Tiagra to 105 is a big jump and the new 105 is very good. But you also have to consider that when you go up in price it's not alway just the group. You might get a better cockpit and wheels too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would pay the extra $400 for the ultegra group over the tiagra. You're going to get better shifting, especially as the groupset ages. The ultegra group will also be lighter than the tiagra, probably not significant to you but worth mentioning anyway. I wouldn't pay to another $400 to go up from ultegra to dura ace unless it was to Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Shimano has mproved over the years, but the one big difference was that DuraAce would actually last. Everything else was worn out garbage in a season or two of use.

I would definitely upgrade to at least Ultegra. As already mentioned, if you get better wheels and a nicer handlebar and or seat, the DuraAce might be worth the extra 400$. Upgrading a bike is stupid expensive once it is out the shop door. Heck tires are the better part of $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General ditto: anything above the Tiagra bike is worth it. The wheels and tires on the Ultegra bike are miles better. And, the big 3 group sets (105, Ultegra, and Di2) are light years beyond Tiagra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Tiagra 4700 10sp on my road bike and, contrary to popular belief, my bike hasn't blown up yet. Quite the opposite actually. Keep the drivetrain clean and it'll last just like any other groupset. I'm happy to have saved money and have a few Strava top 10's to go along with it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I am looking to upgrade my road bike. I have a 2015 Giant Defy aluminum, entry level bike. I am looking at a Specialized Robaix. The basic model with Tiara, disc brakes, is about $2200. If I went for better components, the price goes up about $400 for Ultegra and then another $400 for Dura-Ace. I don’t know much about the difference in higher end components. Is it worth the extra cost? I have only owned bikes with the entry level components. What would I gain by paying more money for the same frame and same disc brakes?

I do not race, just ride for fun. I have an old Felt B-16 that I can use if I decided to race a sprint tri.

I don't understand your prices "logic".
You mean you can buy the Roubaix "Tiagra" complete bike model, and for a $800. premium, the bike store will throw a Dura Ace group (full, including shifters, derailleurs, brakes,crankset, chain and cassette) on the bike instead ?
Hum !!

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah - I am currently riding as my road bike a 2010 aluminum Giant Defy3 which I upgraded from Sora to Tiagra just so I could have 10sp compatibility with my Cervelo TT bike (Sora was 9 speed, all different parts.)

I have to admit that I do notice a small difference between 10sp Ultegra (my Cervelo is a mix of Ultegra/DA) vs Tiagra, the Tiagra being a hair slower and less precise in shifting (which means when you're throwing down more power, it might not shift at all or shift really late.) Not an issue for a triathlete, but if I were a criterium rider where precise shifting is critical, I'd definitely go 105 or preferably Ultegra+.

I will also add that the DA parts on my Cervelo TT bike, which were allegedly 'cold-forged', really do last like freaking forever. They never corrode and always work. It's pretty amazing, actually - my 1.5yr old Tiagra is already showing signs of early rust/wear even though I never ride in wet conditions (probably sweat dripping), but my 10 yr old DA is not. So there is some value to longevity for the premium pricing and engineering of the DA.

Also note that I am the last person to recommend $$$ parts - I consider myself a value-oriented triathlete, meaning I'll buy nice stuff if it's high bang for buck, but I will avoid luxury or tiny incremental gains (superbikes I'm looking at you!) But I do think there is value in the higher groupsets, especially for long-term use, now that I've had stuff for that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ultegra is the sweet spot in the shimano lineup. But agree with the above, its more than just the group that changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess your question is value.

Most people say Ultegra is the best value. I went from ultegra to ultegra Di2 and I'm happy with price/performance

However if you can get the Dura Ace entire groupset for just $400 more than an entire Ultegra groupset, that's what I would do if I had the money. Have not shopped lately but don't recall Dura Ace being within $400 of Ultegra.

In the future, you could then move the Dura Ace to your next bike or frame and probably won't have to upgrade components ever.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiara is meh, 105 is good, Ultegra is really good. Durace is a marginal increase over Ultegra.

Ultegra is the sweet spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike higher end components worth price? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The level suggestion is different based on budget and what component it is. Some things it's Ultegra, some DA, some just "whatever".

I will say, I went from a 105 5800 crank to an r9100 I got a steal on..........whoa the ramps and shift in/out of big/small is stunning smooth.

I recently went R8000 RD and FD and cassette, as r9100 was marginally different. That was a great smooth shifting improvement also.

I'm still on 105 shifters, but they seem to work fine with it all. Those are next.
Quote Reply