Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought
Quote | Reply
Had a roadie crash involving the face. Looking to make informed purchasing decisions about replacing things.

Do road and TT helmets with visors offer any advantage here, or just added risk? (Giro Vanquish mips, for example, or any TT helmet with visors).

I did some Google searching. I just wanted to make an informed decision before replacing the destroyed helmet and glasses.

Also, any consensus on safest sunglasses design or coverage involving a crash?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I've crashed with both.
I've given up on visors. Good quality sunnies are the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Sadly, I've crashed with both.
I've given up on visors. Good quality sunnies are the way to go.

Sorry to hear. Thanks for responding. Could you explain a bit?

Did you find the sunnies as safer or visors just not worth the general hassle? In other words, did a safety aspect of the visors drive you to go back to sun glasses instead? Like, the visor hurt you more than sunglasses would have?
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the Vanquish, but Giro's Aerohead was designed around its visor. Without testing I wouldn't use either without the visor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the visor hit my nose when it dragged on the pavement.

Not sure which is safer, but good sunglass brands do impact testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
the visor hit my nose when it dragged on the pavement.

Not sure which is safer, but good sunglass brands do impact testing.

My sunglasses did the same in this incident as the visor in yours. They dug in all the way around my face and got stitches in one spot for them and nasty cuts and bruising in other spots.

The nose cut was a bit bad, but 100% less of a problem than the rest of the face the sunglasses tore up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always go with Oakleys since they specifically design the lenses to both not shatter on impact and to not eject from the frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy-kjqbYO6E

I've seen CR-39 lenses shatter during pack crashes (fortunately no one got an eye injury), but seeing the sharp shards of plastic from the lens is kinda scary.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I always go with Oakleys since they specifically design the lenses to both not shatter on impact and to not eject from the frame.

I use $2 safety glasses for the same reason. (ANSI certified, too.)

Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I use $2 safety glasses for the same reason. (ANSI certified, too.)

Yes, the safety standard is ANSI Z87.1

Pretty much all workplace safety glasses are made to this standard (kinda strange that all high-end athletic sunglasses aren't).

Back in the 90s I got flack for wearing my Oakleys on the factory floor, but they were allowed once I showed that they were ANSI Z87.1 certified (folks just assumed that "fashion" sunglasses didn't meet safety standards).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, here's the helmet and the glasses. The glasses were ANSI clear safety glasses I use for work also.

At this point if glasses, then the ANSI rating all the way. Just how those glasses dug into and tore my face up, was wondering what I can do better.

Worth bolding: The top rim of the glasses didn't dig in as bad. I wonder if a fully rimmed pair of glasses (bottom rim also) wouldn't have dug into my face like the rimless bottoms and sides did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....this looks like you are lucky you still have a face in the first place. But yes, I agree fully framed glasses maybe could have helped, but hopefully I will never have the chance to talk out of my own experience.

Hope you healed well.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Had a roadie crash involving the face. Looking to make informed purchasing decisions about replacing things.

Do road and TT helmets with visors offer any advantage here, or just added risk? (Giro Vanquish mips, for example, or any TT helmet with visors).

I did some Google searching. I just wanted to make an informed decision before replacing the destroyed helmet and glasses.

Thanks.

I had a crash while wearing the Vanquish without the visor. It was one year ago on a winter day, so I wore the photochromic Oakley Jawbreaker. I hit an ice plate on the road and lost the control on the front wheel.. I didn't have time to even put the hands. I braked with my face and the jawbreaker broke on my face and nasal bridge.

I didn't like at all what the jawbreaker did to my face. That hard plastic they use in the frame... made me a scar I'll wear for my life. I'm pretty sure that if I was wearing the EV radar of the Vanquish visor reults'd be much better.

I'm attaching the picture of the glasses with the scratches and some blood on it... I can PM pictures of my face after the incident if you like.

Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Thanks.

I had a crash while wearing the Vanquish without the visor. It was one year ago on a winter day, so I wore the photochromic Oakley Jawbreaker. I hit an ice plate on the road and lost the control on the front wheel.. I didn't have time to even put the hands. I braked with my face and the jawbreaker broke on my face and nasal bridge.

I didn't like at all what the jawbreaker did to my face. That hard plastic they use in the frame... made me a scar I'll wear for my life. I'm pretty sure that if I was wearing the EV radar of the Vanquish visor reults'd be much better.

I'm attaching the picture of the glasses with the scratches and some blood on it... I can PM pictures of my face after the incident if you like.

Nah, that's ok! Seeing mine was bad enough.

But, I do think I will definitely go "rimmed" one way or another in the future. The larger flat surface that would contact the face seems like a better thing to me.

Seems like for visor helmets, I'd have to know if the visor is ANSI rated. It would cover more face, but wouldn't have a lower rim and would still "dig in". Could perhaps install some rubber trim around the lower edge of the visor to improve surface area/remove sharp edges I suppose.

Tucking your head in a crash isn't instinct at that speed or reaction time. There was a designer trying to add a hoop to a helmet to keep the face off the pavement, but doesn't look like it ever got traction.

I think a priority will be at least a forward facing camera. If I knew that someone took out my front wheel OR knew that I sprinted bad somehow...........that info would be worth a ton in terms of situational awareness in the future. I mean, I can assume both I guess...........but, there's only so many reasons you go OTB on a bike. The primary driver being the front wheel stops progressing forward at a rate such that you rotate over it. Whatever causes that.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always assumed part of the sunglasses outside of the helmet straps was to aid in sunglasses ejection during a crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [seppo17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seppo17 wrote:
I always assumed part of the sunglasses outside of the helmet straps was to aid in sunglasses ejection during a crash.

Not sure

https://volerfactoryteam.com/...les-from-velominati/

RULE 37:
The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed over the helmet straps. No exceptions. We don’t know why, it’s just the way it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Well, here's the helmet and the glasses. The glasses were ANSI clear safety glasses I use for work also.

At this point if glasses, then the ANSI rating all the way. Just how those glasses dug into and tore my face up, was wondering what I can do better.

Worth bolding: The top rim of the glasses didn't dig in as bad. I wonder if a fully rimmed pair of glasses (bottom rim also) wouldn't have dug into my face like the rimless bottoms and sides did.

Yikes!

Looks like the glasses did their job (stayed intact, lenses didn't shatter). Given the marks on the lenses, I shutter to think what what would have happened if they weren't between you and the tarmac.

The frame vs. no frame seems like a pick-your-poison. As another poster noted, the frame can bang up your face (learn from Bernard Hinault; don't wear metal frames), but they also keep the edge of the lens from digging in. I have a pair of Jawbones (thick frame) and EVZeros (no frame). If I had to choose which to be wearing during a bad crash (or not wearing sunnies), I think I'd go with the Jawbones.

Quote Reply
Re: Road and TT helmet visors in a crash, and sunglasses....suggestions sought [seppo17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seppo17 wrote:
I doubt it. Most cycling traditions are less substance and more style IMO ;)
Quote Reply