Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Shifting - SRAM Red Mech. vs Di2
Quote | Reply
I was curious if anyone has any experience to share comparing the shifting of SRAM red (zero loss and exact actuation) to Di2; I'd imagine red is not as easy as the pinky shift click you can achieve with Di2, but curious of the overall difference. Essentially I'm weighing if the 3x price increase is worth it (I have both group sets available)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Shifting - SRAM Red Mech. vs Di2 [MattRBrewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattRBrewer wrote:
I was curious if anyone has any experience to share comparing the shifting of SRAM red (zero loss and exact actuation) to Di2; I'd imagine red is not as easy as the pinky shift click you can achieve with Di2, but curious of the overall difference. Essentially I'm weighing if the 3x price increase is worth it (I have both group sets available)

That's most likely not an apples-to-apples comparison

New Red 22 rim brake groupset is ~$1,700. New Dura Ace Di2 groupset is ~$2,400. 8050 Di2 is ~$1,600.

I was a Sram Red user for eight years before I swapped to Di2, and I'm not going back to Sram any time soon (or perhaps ever). The first gen Sram Red (2009-2011) was great, and it was actually quite reliable. QC went downhill when Sram went to Sram Red Yaw, and the phenomena of snapping shifter levers, previously plaguing only Force and Rival shifters, began to affect Red Yaw shifters as well.

The actual shifting is quite good, especially with Yokozuna cable and housing. Really quick and precise. The downside is that it required replacement every year. After I stopped road racing in 2016, I didn't replace my cables as often, and though my riding volume was half what it was previously, the shifting has deteriorated significantly when I stopped using Sram Red.

Di2 is basically set and forget, and unless subject to external trauma, the wires never have to be replaced.

ETA: I do see a scam site offering Red 22 for $725 USD, and I guess that's 1/3 the price for Dura Ace Di2...
Last edited by: echappist: Nov 19, 20 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Road Shifting - SRAM Red Mech. vs Di2 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. to clear up this price comparison I've mentioned - I already own DA 9070 Di2 and recently acquired a Red groupset for 1/3 the price of the Di2. I like the Di2 but had only known 2007 shimano Tiagra beforehand and is all I can compare it to. Was considering downgrading depending on the responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Shifting - SRAM Red Mech. vs Di2 [MattRBrewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be on SRAM Red 22 mechanical for several years and had to adjust the cables every 3-4 months due to stretching and replace them yearly. Shifting was fine until the cables had to be fine tuned again. Switched over to Dura-Ace Di2 and no longer have to worry about adjusting or replacing cables. Shifting is just consistently flawless day in and day out. I'm glad I made the jump to electronic shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Shifting - SRAM Red Mech. vs Di2 [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair with sram, is cables stretched is not a SRAM red fault. It is either lack of tension, bad cables or a general downside of cable shifters.

With that said, of you already have both, it's a no brainer, go with di2.
Quote Reply