Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Road ID, Why?
Quote | Reply
It seems these Road ID wirst bands are very popular. I don't get it. Why?

I fail to see how this would in anyway protect me, or make my outcome better in the event of an accident. Sure, if I had some medical situation that was important for the EMT's to know, that'd be one thing. But I do not.

I carry a cell phone, my family will be contacted if I get run over. But really, if I am hit, I am sure that there will be more pressing things to attend to than calling my Mom within 5 minutes of said accident.

Couldn't you just make a name tag and put it on something. Saves $20...
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your life isn't worth $20 to ya then don't get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [mnbrotha2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How will a $20 name tag save my life?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it won't but if you're like me and married, then the $20 buys the wife some peace of mind if I get smoked on my bike she'll find out sooner rather than later.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...Couldn't you just make a name tag and put it on something. Saves $20...

I guess that could work, but the advantage of Road ID is that it's in a pretty visible spot.

I don't own one and was actually on your side of the equation for a while, but I hate having to take anything I don't necessarily need with me, especially my wallet (which you only need for an ID and cash, right?).

A bracelet and a $20 bill will do the trick just fine I'd think.

--------------------------------
Swim. Bike. Run. Tacos. Not always in that order.
@ryan_hurley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That's not really the point. You wear it for others. People wear them so their spouses won't be freaking out for 3 or 4 hours after you were expected home while you lie unconscious in an ER. If you have someone back at home when you go on a workout, it just common courtesy.

There are rare instances where info on the ID or gained by contacting your next of kin may save you but really, RoadID is the athlete's version of a dog tag. No one wants to end up in the Tomb of the Unknown Cyclist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A police officer friend of mine told me about a cyclist a couple years ago who raod w/o ID. They had to put his picture on the evening news to find out who he was. That was over 8 hours after he was sitting in an ER unconscious.

EDIT to Add: Mine also says "OPos" and "No allergies" on it. Makes life easy for the first responders and avoids any possible delays.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Dec 14, 10 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can put what ever you want on RoadID. When it comes to blood type and or other medical stuff - if it is not on a "Medic Alert" bracelet, it does not matter and they are going to cross type you before you get blood.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there will be more pressing things to attend to than calling my Mom...

If I'm in an ER I want my wife there calling the shots. Many of us surpassed the level of intimacy we had with mommy and daddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It will NOT save your life. That's the job of EMTs and trauma surgeons. As the simple RoadID slogan says, "it's who I am."

A RoadID can save your life if you also use it as a medical ID - for example, after my accident, I had on my RoadID all my contact info, but also Rx Coumadin & my INR. If I'd been in, for example, the RoadID would have served the same purpose as an Rx band, but it also would have allowed the EMTs or ER to contact my family.

In my case, it's also quite relevant in many cases WHO you are, because with medical records going online, your medical history - which may be relevant - is more and more accessible.

An inanimate object won't save your life. But it can provide information that will help doctors or EMTs to do so, and it can also let the people most important to you know that you've been in an accident. If that's not worth $20 to you, that's your prerogative. But I can't understand why.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can put what ever you want on RoadID. When it comes to blood type and or other medical stuff - if it is not on a "Medic Alert" bracelet, it does not matter and they are going to cross type you before you get blood.

One other thing that's important, that hasn't been mentioned, is for folks who travel. In my case, I'd really like - when I am in Abu Dhabi - for the US Embassy to know if I'm in an accident. And having my info on my RoadID is going to make sure of that.

As for blood type, they always cross match in the US, and you hope they do most other places But it doesn't hurt to have it on there. I also have NKA (no known allergies), which is important.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I say, if one had a medical condition that would be helpful to emergency staff to know that is one thing. I can understand such a name tag in that case. But most of us do not have such a condition.

My problem with it is 2 fold; that it is an overpriced name tag, and that for the majority of us it would not change the outcome of an accident at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

One other thing that's important, that hasn't been mentioned, is for folks who travel. In my case, I'd really like - when I am in Abu Dhabi - for the US Embassy to know if I'm in an accident. And having my info on my RoadID is going to make sure of that.

This is a valid point. The most legit I have heard thus far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if I'm riding with someone, I don't know their wife's phone number and they don't know mine. So If I'm injured they can contact her asap.
kc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Like I say, if one had a medical condition that would be helpful to emergency staff to know that is one thing. I can understand such a name tag in that case. But most of us do not have such a condition.

My problem with it is 2 fold; that it is an overpriced name tag, and that for the majority of us it would not change the outcome of an accident at all.

So, you do not want your loved one in the ER with you when you are knocked off your bike and unconscious?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will be contacted. It would not be hard to find who to call. I have ICE contacts in my phone. My main concern, however, would be to survive - not call family in that instant.
Last edited by: Jon h: Dec 14, 10 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure if you get knocked the fuck out your phone is going to take a hit too.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [mnbrotha2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So could your bracelet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have a road ID, wont be getting one. That is my call....but, who really freaking cares? If you dont want one - dont buy one. There is no law saying that you have to have one. As a note. I do have my name and contact numbers on a label in my helmet(s). And my name is on all of my framesets.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not married right? I would like to think a hospital would call my wife and let her know where I am rather than having her sitting at home hours after I'm due back from a ride wondering where I am. It might at least give her half a chance to see me before I die if that's going to happen, I think she deserves that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you're just being obstinate.

Odds on a Road ID being illegible in the event of a gnarly accident: next to nil.

Odds on a dropped cellphone becoming a pile of broken plastic, glass and electronic bits: pretty damn high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They will be contacted. It would not be hard to find who to call. I have ICE contacts in my phone. My main concern, however, would be to survive - not call family in that instant.

1) There is a much greater chance of your phone getting broken then your roadID in a crash.

2) Most people have passwords or passcodes on their smart phones, thus, even if the phone is ok a responder can't get to the number.

3) ER people don't go through peoples phones to find contact info, the police might after you are dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a sales pitch designed to scare/guilt you into purchasing one. They are trying to create a *need* in you to purchase one and offer the *benefit* of piece of mind. Is it useful or has it saved lives??? I'm not sure, but I haven't seen a study on it saving lives. Regardless everyone should be carrying their REAL ID with them at all times. As someone who preaches simplicity - I would say the Road ID is redundant and is an unnecessary cost.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a note. I do have my name and contact numbers on a label in my helmet(s). And my name is on all of my framesets.

*side note alert*

that is excellent advice RC and should be noted. I also have a label on the top of my helmets with name and phone number, as I've been knocked out on two different occasions. What I really wish I had up there was my medical provider/number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID, Why? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're not married right? I would like to think a hospital would call my wife and let her know where I am rather than having her sitting at home hours after I'm due back from a ride wondering where I am. It might at least give her half a chance to see me before I die if that's going to happen, I think she deserves that much.

Exactly!

You are correct. I am not married.

I think this whole overpriced name tag thing was aimed at worrying wives and mothers. It gives them peace of mind and they feel good buying it - great - but it won't improve my chances of living.
Quote Reply

Prev Next