Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets?
Quote | Reply
Looking for info on Hollowtech II crank chain lines. Been cruising the internet for a bit and the manuals pretty much address BB width for spacers to add or not add based on triple vs double cranks.

I'm specifically looking at it for what the chainlines have been like for 5600/6600 5x130bcd through current 4x100bcd AND also maybe some Sora 5x100 double cranks.

Basically, it is easier to find 1x aero chainrings in either 4x100, 5x100, or 5x130. With a LOT of cheaper options for 5x100 and 5x130 that includes Garbaruk.

You can get new Sora double cranksets under $75 and get them in 165mm, and they're Hollowtech II. I could care less about the weight. Those are 5x100 and Garbaruk carries a 5x100 aero chainring.

I'd prefer 165mm in a 130bcd, and they WERE made. But, not finding any used anywhere.

If it ends up being 5x130, I can keep my 2x TT chainrings and toss it onto the 165mm 5x130 crank if I need to. So, 5x130 in a 165 is my #1 choice.

Any assistance looking this info up or finding items is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exactly are you asking? "Info on chain lines" means nothing specific to me especially when you start talking bolt circle diameters (which probably have no influence on chain line for a given chain ring tooth count).
Quote Reply
Re: Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With any road Hollowtech ii, when it is inserted....is the chain line the same for all 2x cranks?

That better?

Like, a 165mm 2x Sora crank. Or an old 165mm 6600 2x crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for the repository/archive of all current and past shimano tech and service pdfs?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shameless plug (assuming you'll be using an Octalink v1 BB). Shimano made two BB spindle lengths for road use: 109.5mm (double) and 118.5 (triple, with a serious DS offset). Most people don't realize that you could also use their XTR BBs, and those came in 112.5 and 116. I used the latter two on my single-ring cyclocross bikes, to improve the chainline.

I have a new 112.5 and a used/VG 116. PM me if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
Shameless plug (assuming you'll be using an Octalink v1 BB). Shimano made two BB spindle lengths for road use: 109.5mm (double) and 118.5 (triple, with a serious DS offset). Most people don't realize that you could also use their XTR BBs, and those came in 112.5 and 116. I used the latter two on my single-ring cyclocross bikes, to improve the chainline.

This is closer to what I'm after.

I want to make sure that if I buy a Hollowtech crank, that I know what that dimension is.

Point #2 here: https://www.parktool.com/...p/chainline-concepts

I don't want to just be randomly buying a used or new crank and slapping a 1x ring on it with an unknown final chainline number.

For the XTR, that may work perfect. I have to space the left crank arm anyway a couple mm for power meter clearance with the brake so the XTR might be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano road double chainline has been 43.5mm for as long as I can remember...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
geetee wrote:

This is closer to what I'm after.

I want to make sure that if I buy a Hollowtech crank, that I know what that dimension is.

Point #2 here: https://www.parktool.com/...p/chainline-concepts

I don't want to just be randomly buying a used or new crank and slapping a 1x ring on it with an unknown final chainline number.

For the XTR, that may work perfect. I have to space the left crank arm anyway a couple mm for power meter clearance with the brake so the XTR might be great.

With Hollowtech II, you're talking about cranks with integrated BB spindles, so your spindle length is fixed. You can shim the left arm and/or left BB cup to move the left arm out a bit, but then you're decreasing the amount of spindle/crank arm overlap, which can potentially result in damage to the crank if you go more than a few mm.. In order to play around with different BB spindle widths, you'd have to go to a 3 piece crank system (Octalink, PowerSpline, ISIS, square taper, etc) instead of any of the Hollowtech II cranks.

Also, that 43.5mm is in between the 2 chainrings. If you install a single ring on a standard double crank, your chainline will move in or out a few mm, depending on which side of the spider you install the ring, unless you are using a ring that is offset to correct for this...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: May 13, 19 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Road Hollowtech II chainlines, manuals or spec sheets? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that's the case, I know my three options. I'll keep looking on Ebay and CL for now.
Quote Reply