Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Grand Tours - early in dev alternative to Zwift. Any feedback?
Quote | Reply
I read DCrainmaker's recent review and am intrigued as a current Zwift user. I plan to install the beta and give it a go. For anyone who's hopped on the platform, what do y'all think so far?

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Road Grand Tours - early in dev alternative to Zwift. Any feedback? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive been on it for a little while, and have about 40 rides. I'm running RGT on a Surfacebook pro, so definitely not a highend graphics machine! I have turned down some of the graphics features (resolution, depth of field, etc) and even at only 10FPS, it works pretty smooth. I do like the choice of the different routes, and don't agree with the comment that they have too many. You can easily use the crit circuits (8bar and Canary Wharf) for interval training by just choosing when to put out big effort, and do it consistently, lap to lap. The other roads, like Mt Ventoux are pretty cool, and I don't find them boring, certainly not any more than when I was using Zwift.

For the negatives, first for me is that the current servers are in Europe, and even with a high speed connection in California, downloading an update can be very long, but doesn't seem to have an effect on actually using the platform if I am current. The lack of other riders was a big deal, but has improved, and they have also added 'bots' artificial riders, which has helped, but more riders would be better. Ray's comments about cornering are true, but not sure how they overcome that. If you pedal through a corner, you can only go so fast, the power display turns red to let you know you are beyond the limit, so might as well coast or soft pedal. As of now RGT requires a PC or a MAC, and a power meter, no virtual power. They have siad they have iOS and android on their futures, but no time frame given.

A guy even rode the Passo Dello Stelvio to do an indoor "Everesting." A few of us got on and rode with him at different times, was kinda cool.

The guys at RGT are pretty responsive to questions, so hoping it continues to improve. All in all, I'm having fun with RGT, and would say give it a try, just be prepared for a long time downloading the initial time.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Grand Tours - early in dev alternative to Zwift. Any feedback? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of it.

Tried Virtu2go and gave up after about 10 mins.

Will check this one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Grand Tours - early in dev alternative to Zwift. Any feedback? [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave it a go tonight and initial impressions are positive. Certainly, lack of riders/fellow travelers is a downside but that may change over time. I couldn't figure out the red power indicators but now get the whole 'not worth power' indicator based on speed/descent.. I like the ability to somewhat control what displays on screen and the drafting effect % indicator is interesting. The replicated real world courses along with associated Strava segments/leaderboards is a definite plus. The rider avatar seems to do its own thing (tuck, non-pedaling) regardless of cadence being picked up by sensor.

Some choices for avatar customization but not great. That too will change over time. So far, no gamification (power ups, etc like Zwift) which is a plus as well. Setup was a breeze and all sensors (Cycleops Hammer, HR monitor) connected seemlessly. I wish they would display avg. power/watts per kg, avg HR, avg cadence in ride. My same complaint with Zwift.

Maybe being a beta user will result in benefits down the road. Similar to what Zwift did with the price increases.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time i hear of this platform,will give it run, looks interesting
Graphics look great, maybe to realistic
Find myself wanting a realistic feel the one day,group races in wonderland (watopia) the next and some flat sessions watching a film for the late night sessions
Last edited by: Last-offtheBike: May 22, 18 3:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's also VirtuGo. Looks pretty promising as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all worked well for me. Seamless setup with 3 different devices. The worlds are definitely much higher-quality than Zwift, which I liked. More emphasis on the natural world. Physics seemed pretty good.

Interaction with other riders is similar to Zwift.

The "bots" are a little hard to figure out. I guess they're triathletes, but because they don't seem to like you do draft off them. Every time I tried do park behind one, it'd seem to try to slip away, by either accelerating or braking. Also their "W/kg" value never changes, and must be some kind of average, because I was chasing a she-bot at listed as 1.6 W/kg at a good 4 W/kg, and I was having a hell of a time closing her down.

Good enough that I'm going to keep tracking it progress.
Quote Reply