Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bikes that fit 30c tires?
Quote | Reply
I have a penchant for always finding dirt, regardless of my ride.
While I have rallied my Tarmac with her 25's on singletrack, now that it's time for an upgrade, I'm looking for a bit of a spec change. I'm looking to make this different enough that I have a compelling reason to ride it. Otherwise, I typically end up riding the CX bike that I convert to "summer mode" with Deep wheels, a longer stem and 28-30c tires.

1. This is to be a road-bike. I have Mountain bikes, I have CX bikes, I have E-Bikes and Commuter bikes. Unless that "Gravel bike" Makes for an incredible road bike, I'm not going to consider it.
2. Has to take a 2x front chainring. Call me Oldschool
3. Has to be Flat-mount Disc. Call me NewSchool.
4. Has to fit 30c tires. Gotta draw a line somewhere
5. I would prefer the "Racy" end of the geometry spectrum, not the "endurance" end.
6. I'd prefer if it were "aero", at least so that I feel like I'm faster.
7. I'd prefer to be able to buy a frameset or "Module". I have wheels and components that'd I'd just end up swapping onto a complete bike.

My list:
1. Scott Foil Disc
2. BMC Team Machine / Road Machine
3. Specialized Tarmac / Venge Disc
4. Cannondale SystemSix
5. Trek Madone Disc
6. Cervelo r5 /s5?

What is worthwhile that I'm missing?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridley Fenix SL Disc. I have the rim brake version (previous road bikes were Scott Foil and Giant TCR Advanced Pro) and I really like it. Very stable handling, great descending, feels solid underneath me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3T Strade Due. Other than that your list appears to be pretty comprehensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the 650b world, and don't forget steel

Rodeolabs Trail Donkey or Flaanimal

Gunnar bikes, Hyper X (made in 'Murica)

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Team Machine (2018) will only fit up to 28mm tires.....you "might" be able to squeeze 30mm but you could end up with some rubbing in the rear. I'm using Schwalbe Pro One 25's which measure 28 and they fit fine. I tried 28's and they measured closer to a 31/32mm which fit, but I know they would have ended up rubbing the rear stays.

I demo'd the Team Machine and Road Machine at the same time and did not like the geometry of the Road Machine (although I'm sure 30's would fit)......kind of felt like riding and old school chopper at the front end - just wasn't to my liking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BH G7 disc. 402 mm chainstay and clearance for 30 mm tires thanks to the BB386 setup. I remember seeing the BH guys riding it with a 32 mm Strada on some social media stuff. It ticks all those other boxes too. I don't see the frame only option on the site, so you might have to ask BH Bikes USA directly. I have an Ultralight and it's been a fantastic frame. The G7 wasn't available in an XL when I was shopping and probably a few more dollars than I had in the budget at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotts take big tires- I know this. I have been on a Scott Addict RC for over a year. I run Conti GP4000 in 28mm (widely known to be 31mm or so in width)- Plenty of room.

I know that the 2018 version of the Tarmac disc also takes these same size tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Team Machine (2018) will only fit up to 28mm tires.....you "might" be able to squeeze 30mm but you could end up with some rubbing in the rear. I'm using Schwalbe Pro One 25's which measure 28 and they fit fine. I tried 28's and they measured closer to a 31/32mm which fit, but I know they would have ended up rubbing the rear stays.

I demo'd the Team Machine and Road Machine at the same time and did not like the geometry of the Road Machine (although I'm sure 30's would fit)......kind of felt like riding and old school chopper at the front end - just wasn't to my liking.

This is good to know.

Thanks for the suggestions, added to my list.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon Endurace

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this will rub with 30mm actual tires in the rear. a bunch of the guys at the shop i ride with have them and they all run enve 4.5 ar disc wheels with 25mm schwalbe pro one instead of the 28s they are intended for because of this. its a shame really. i think clearance should work with a 30mm actual tire. maybe its height that is the real problem though. either way.

my pick would be the domane slr with pro endurance fit. if i had all the money that is what i'd have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want something different -- maybe check out the Bowman Pilgrim.

I'm building up a Bowman Palace:R. I started building it as a "C" bike to leave at my summer house, but it's pretty damn incredible. It's totally transformed how I think about Aluminum. I've kind of wanted a gravel capable road-first disc bike, and might also build up a Pilgrim myself before I spring for something more pricey like a Strada Exploro.... but who knows, maybe won't need to.

Also check out Mason bikes in AL and Steel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a dentist, you might be able to afford a Factor One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon Ultimate's now come in a frameset. I have one with Challenge Strada Bianca 30c tires on an 18mm internal rim and there's plenty of clearance for more tire. Geo is not all out race bike but pretty good, and I really like the handling. Bike feels really good under you and does exactly what you tell it.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
If you are a dentist, you might be able to afford a Factor One.

Ha.
I work for PEARL iZUMi, not CHPT3 ;)

Last edited by: xtrpickels: Oct 25, 18 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Cervelo C3 disk/ultegra di2 and absolutely love it. It isn't as aggressive in terms if rider position, but it is a great bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [TurtleMan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got ENVE 4.5AR's on 28c's on my Cervelo R5 Disc, w/ the wheels, the tires measure 32c wide

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [zmjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange because on mine I run "28mm" Contis that actually measure 31mm and nothing rubs. On top of that, Schwalbe usually fits narrow and I've even fit some new "30mm" claimed width tires on them, in fact Schwalbe is our standard tire for testing and we've had the whole range on there without a problem. Sounds like something different is going on, not sure what.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://shop.ventumracing.com/products/ventum-ns1-road-bike-reservation

30mm tires
light
disk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

When you say 30c, do you mean any tyre marked 30c, but potentially going 33 or 34 mm width and depth ?
Or 30mm max real size in width and depth ?

If first answer, are you really sure all the bikes in your list comply ?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

When you say 30c, do you mean any tyre marked 30c, but potentially going 33 or 34 mm width and depth ?
Or 30mm max real size in width and depth ?

If first answer, are you really sure all the bikes in your list comply ?

With the amount of different rim widths (internal) and many companies marked tire size being inaccurate to begin with.....marked tire size is getting pretty meaningless except to be used as a "ball park". Every Conti GP4000s I've owned has always measured larger. I had 25mm Conti 4 Seasons that measured 28mm and 28mm Conti 4 Seasons that measured....28mm. Recently switched to tubeless tires - 3 pairs of Schwalbe Pro One, all 25's and ALL measure 28mm on19mm internal rims. The 28mm Pro Ones measured 31mm so they might have fit (BMC TeamMachine), but I may of only had 1mm of clearance on either side and knew they would end up rubbing....what's the rule? should have minimal 3mm of clearance on each side of the tire?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've seen it on 2 separate stradas now. the shop is metier in seattle.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [zmjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check with them, maybe they use a particular model that is very tall in cross section

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes that fit 30c tires? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gerard wrote:
I'll check with them, maybe they use a particular model that is very tall in cross section

please report back! this definitely put me off buying one
Quote Reply