Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike Wheel upgrade from FLO30's
Quote | Reply
I have FLO-30's on my S-Works Venge right now and I'm considering an upgrade. My main criteria is that I have an aluminum brake track. Next priority is that they're aero and light, and lastly it would be nice if they looked good :-)

What's a good upgrade from FLO30's? My FLO30's function well enough, but I keep hearing that they're "not the lightest". Is there an obvious choice for upgrades, while still having an aluminum brake track? I'm not looking to spend $2,000. What's a good value upgrade for me?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Wheel upgrade from FLO30's [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FLO 30 rim is advertised as 570 grams, 30 mm deep, 24 mm wide at the track, 25.94 mm max, and 19.4 mm internal width.

The AForce AL33 rim is advertised as 495 grams, 32 mm deep, 26 mm max, 19.6 mm internal.

So with similar hubs, spoke count, spokes and nipples, you could build the AL33's up at 150 grams lighter than your FLO 30's. I think the rims cost around $180 each if you wanted to do a custom build, or you can get a build from someone like November Bicycles for around $700 at the lowest price point. Not sure if that's worth it to you.

I don't know the difference in the aero performance, if any. I know one guy that has them built up with white industry T11 hubs and he likes them. Except that the textured ceramic brake track eats up his brake pads.

Other than that, your options are pretty limited if you want lower weight and aluminum brake track. HED Jet4's "might" be more aero, but probably weighs just as as the FLO 30.

Lightweight, aero, and aluminum usually don't appear in the same sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I have FLO-30's on my S-Works Venge right now and I'm considering an upgrade. My main criteria is that I have an aluminum brake track. Next priority is that they're aero and light, and lastly it would be nice if they looked good :-)

What's a good upgrade from FLO30's? My FLO30's function well enough, but I keep hearing that they're "not the lightest". Is there an obvious choice for upgrades, while still having an aluminum brake track? I'm not looking to spend $2,000. What's a good value upgrade for me?

If the motivation is really just that you keep hearing that they're not the lightest, maybe save your money, at least until you damage or put some real wear on those Flo30s?

If you want marginally better aero performance or sexier-looking wheels, deeper wheels will do that, but you're not going to get much lighter even with carbon wheels and you'll get heavier with carbon-faired aluminum ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Ardennes. This is almost a no-brainer. Of the wheels with wide brake tracks, Ardennes are the lightest I have found. If you are looking for something deeper than the FLO 30, but still road-ish, then the the HED Jet 4 Plus is your easy choice. Unfortunately, FLO does not have a 45 version of their aluminum+carbon wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, if I haven't missed something, your FLO 30s weigh 1624gms. Without spending a bunch of money on light hubs and light spokes, it's going to be hard to get below 1500gms, if you want to keep the 30mm rim depth. There are some traditional box rims the come in around 1450 (I can't think of the brands at the moment), but looking at FLO's aero charting assuming similar performance to an Open Pro rim, you'd be giving up 75gms of drag at 0 yaw 0 50%more than the 30s.I have a set of Hed Belgium + rims on American Classic hubs that weight 1500 gms. But they're not as deep as the FLO 30s.

As others mentioned by others, at 1649gms, the Hed Jet4+ is a good choice. I would add the Jet6+ at 1698gms. I suspect they would be close to the FLO 60s aerodynamically. The aluminum 60s have 25gms less drag that the 30s at 0 yaw. Both of the Heds are available for $1100 or less and have been available recently around $900.

hth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:

Potential upgrade paths:
  • Maintain similar aerodynamics and save very little weight. Is it worth it? I'd say no. Chances are there's more economical ways to save as much weight elsewhere on the bike.
  • Go with more minimal wheels without any aerodynamic considerations but which weight less. - Is the weight saving really worth more than the drag increase costs you. As you've framed the question, it leads this direction. I don't see the point.
  • Give up on the prerequisite for alloy brake tracks. - I wouldn't. I think you're right to stick with alloy. It's not worth settling for carbon just to make a small weight saving.
  • Go with deeper wheels. - You probably won't save weight, or if you do it'll be a tiny amount. Nevertheless, it might be an upgrade that makes you faster. I don't think lighter wheels will.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This or this.
Quote Reply