Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike TT
Quote | Reply
Now lots of stage races are moving to road bike TT so no aero helmets. The overthinker I am was thinking about ears... would something to cover them in sorts be faster... since cant use aero helmet which normally would , maybe I am chasing nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is off topic, but I'd spend more time worrying about holding the IAB during your EMX TT than I would worrying about ears. Of course, disregard if you are already good at holding the IAB.

Of course, aero road helmets are not as fast as full aero helmets, but the loss isn't that big
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 11, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry for ignorance IAB?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

invisible aero bars

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming this is USA Cycling ...

Unless the rule book has changed recently, technically they are not allowed to ban "aero helmets", skinsuits, disk wheels, etc. What they can do is say the bike must conform to "mass start" requirements.

When one promoter had the "no disk" rule, I said, OK so I can use a disk wheel in the road race the next day but not in the "road bike TT" the day before? How does that make any sense. And if you think you can't use a disk in a road race then google Paul Curley.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eddy style TTs are road bike only as well as other rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trimeon wrote:

If it's a USAC sanctioned event, the only rule they can enforce is "mass start legal". I know many think and try to do otherwise, but they are wrong. (as I said, unless they have changed the rule book in recent years. I verified this personally with USAC -- Sean Petty as I recall)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Trimeon wrote:

If it's a USAC sanctioned event, the only rule they can enforce is "mass start legal". I know many think and try to do otherwise, but they are wrong. (as I said, unless they have changed the rule book in recent years. I verified this personally with USAC -- Sean Petty as I recall)

You are indeed correct, but if one wants to race, one has to play nice with the promoter, as at the end of the day, they are the ones who decide whether to allow one to race.

I was warned by one promoter once that if I didn't drop my protest, he'd be happy to refund me the entry fee. Then again, that was when road racing was still quite popular. Declining participation may change that dynamic.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
You are indeed correct, but if one wants to race, one has to play nice with the promoter, as at the end of the day, they are the ones who decide whether to allow one to race.

I was warned by one promoter once that if I didn't drop my protest, he'd be happy to refund me the entry fee. Then again, that was when road racing was still quite popular. Declining participation may change that dynamic.

lol, I wonder if we were talking to the same promoter, because I got that too :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These "road bike TTs" are kina a mess, since there is no strict dividing line between road and TT equipment (other than aerobars). Skinsuits are used frequently in road races, so are "road aero" helmets like the Vanquish and Evade.

Personally, I'd feel safer if people were on actual aerobars vs. doing IABs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done quite a few "classic division - Standard/Merckx class" road bike time trials. Generally, the promoters spell out what is legal in their race and everybody adheres to those rules.

For instance....

Standard Road Bike Frame
Standard Drop Bars (no clip-on aero bars)
Standard Road Wheels (32mm rim depth MAX)
NO aero clothing (skin suits, shoe covers, etc....)
NO aero helmets
Hands must stay on bars at all time (no IAB....) or DQ'd
Last edited by: Brushman: Mar 13, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Personally, I'd feel safer if people were on actual aerobars vs. doing IABs.

x1000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike TT [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
I've done quite a few "classic division - Standard/Merckx class" road bike time trials. Generally, the promoters spell out what is legal in their race and everybody adheres to those rules.

For instance....

Standard Road Bike Frame
Standard Drop Bars (no clip-on aero bars)
Standard Road Wheels (32mm rim depth MAX)
NO aero clothing (skin suits, shoe covers, etc....)
NO aero helmets
Hands must stay on bars at all time (no IAB....) or DQ'd

This is almost the opposite of helpful. I don't even own a set of wheels less than 50mm, so I would need a special set just to race a retro class. I sort of like the UK rules. Basically any bike with wheel depth limited to 60ish mm. Skinsuit is fine.
Quote Reply