Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Road Bike Search
Quote | Reply
I'm in no hurry. I'll probably buy a new road bike a year from now. But the search begins.

I have a 25 year-old custom Ti Vail Cycle Works road bike. SRAM Red 10-speed components. I don't have aero wheels, just very lightweight alloy wheels (I do have aero wheels on my TT bike). I'm 57 years old and race master's cat 3 - road races. I hate crits. I also race TT's, and it's what I'm best at, but that's with my TT bike. I'm looking for a new road bike to train and race road. I live in Colorado and like hills. While this bike works, and works well, I just want to upgrade.

Cost is an issue (a Madone is likely out of my price range), but not the biggest decider. I'm 6' and 150 lbs. I need to find my current stack and reach, and I know that will limit the bike choices available to me. I'm not the most limber racer, and I do have lower back issues (some pain with extended climbs).

Knowing the above, what would you suggest? I tend to keep bikes a long time (infrequent upgrades). Here's what I'm thinking:

• carbon bike
  • aero design
  • no exposed cables
  • electronic shifting
  • aero carbon wheels (maybe 60mm rear, 40 mm front)???
  • disc brakes. I'm totally undecided on this. However, since I upgrade bikes infrequently, it may be necessary due to rim brake obsolescence. Thoughts?
  • Lightweight? I know aero trumps weight, but like to climb hills, and my guess is that I'd like the "feel" of a light bike.
Bikes I think I need to explore: Cannondale Super Evo 6, Felt AR, Cannondale SuperSix, Giant Propel, Specialized Venge, Fuji Transonic?

Thoughts? Comments?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your budget? If a Madonne is out of your range, so are all the other bikes once you fill your wish list: carbon, aero wheels, e-shifting, disc brakes....
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah what he said about budget.
Why not look at a CAAD 12?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
What's your budget? If a Madonne is out of your range, so are all the other bikes once you fill your wish list: carbon, aero wheels, e-shifting, disc brakes....

Maybe 5K, with team discounts. So maybe 8K retail. I don't have any Trek connection, so no discounts on a Madone.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Yeah what he said about budget.
Why not look at a CAAD 12?

Possible. However, I don't think I want an aluminum bike. Why? Stiffness, lack of longevity. But, I may be convinced. I really don't know. I haven't searched new bikes in 25 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you should go test ride some bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I'm aware the AR does not have disc brakes (yet). Have you thought about a Canyon?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stiffness may or may not be an issue, with a carbon post and the wider tires that are in vogue these days you might be surprised by how an aluminum bike rides.
Like the other poster says, at the very least you should test ride one, with money saved you can get some awesome wheels.
Longevity is 100% a NON issue, I have been racing my CAAD 10 hard! since 2012 and it's no worse today (minus some chipped paint) then in was when it was brand new.
It's not 25 years, but I doubt you will get 25 years out of a carbon bike either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the Bowman Palace: R.
I did your build almost identically (except the disc brakes ...I went with Chris king ee brakes which are awesome) and it came in a bit over your budget but not much. It’s an aluminum frame but it’s bullet-proof (stiff and responsive).. it is also timeless geometry which is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
It sounds like you should go test ride some bikes.

Perhaps. However, how valid is a test ride? I suppose I can tell the "feel" of the bike, but probably nothing about fit, performance, how fast it is for me. It does make me wonder the benefits of a test ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
As far as I'm aware the AR does not have disc brakes (yet). Have you thought about a Canyon?

The Canyon Aero is another possibility. Although, I don't think it's very lightweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to assume that 25 years on your current bike means you quite like the position?
Which would mean that you should start by measuring Bar XY (and the reach of the handlebars themselves) and then search with purpose.
Once you know which bikes are fit options you could look for feedback on those, rather than getting a bunch of possible irrelevant suggestions.

Of course, if you think there is a chance that your position could change significantly you should get a bike fit first (just read Dans reasonable bike fit expectations first).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Callin' wrote:

The Canyon Aero is another possibility. Although, I don't think it's very lightweight.
I haven't weighed mine, but it climbs and descends really, really well.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that Al frame longevity is a non-issue. I'm still training on my CAAD3 (!) from 1997. I have other bikes (of course), but the CAAD3 has about 30k miles on it. I also have a used, earlier gen Cannondale (SR500, maybe). It's been on the trainer for 10 years and many 1000's of miles. Hard to find tougher service than that. Rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Callin' wrote:

The Aeroad isn't super light, but the Ultimate is and it comes spec'd the way you want it. I'm on an XL and though it doesn't have disc brakes or di2 (Durace 9100 instead), it still tips the scale under 15lbs with cages and pedals. Climbs, Corners, and descends really well!

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak for longevity, but stiffness is definitely not an issue with the CAAD12. Admittedly, I'm not a 1500W monster, but I'm pretty sure the CAAD12 is no less stiff than a Cervelo S5 or a Parlee Z5i, both of which I currently ride. Mine is a CAAD12 disc from 2016 with quick release, and I have not managed to get the brakes to rub in a sprint.

As another plus, a well sorted geometry makes descending twist roads on this a grin-inducing event :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
wacomme wrote:
Callin' wrote:

The Aeroad isn't super light, but the Ultimate is and it comes spec'd the way you want it. I'm on an XL and though it doesn't have disc brakes or di2 (Durace 9100 instead), it still tips the scale under 15lbs with cages and pedals. Climbs, Corners, and descends really well!

jake

The Ultimate is definitely worth a look!
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crocked_knee wrote:
Can't speak for longevity, but stiffness is definitely not an issue with the CAAD12. Admittedly, I'm not a 1500W monster, but I'm pretty sure the CAAD12 is no less stiff than a Cervelo S5 or a Parlee Z5i, both of which I currently ride. Mine is a CAAD12 disc from 2016 with quick release, and I have not managed to get the brakes to rub in a sprint.

As another plus, a well sorted geometry makes descending twist roads on this a grin-inducing event :-)

Thanks for the info. So how does the CAAD 12 compare to the Super Evo 6?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're checking out the venge, check out the Tarmac too. The latest models are getting so similar they look almost identical in photos. One is an aero bike that's light, and the other is a light bike that's aero. The latter might be more appropriate for someone who lives in Colorado and likes hills. Dont forget aero frame generally means harsher ride, less comfortable, maybe not worth it if not doing most of your riding on flat road at 25 mph plus.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
If you're checking out the venge, check out the Tarmac too. The latest models are getting so similar they look almost identical in photos. One is an aero bike that's light, and the other is a light bike that's aero. The latter might be more appropriate for someone who lives in Colorado and likes hills. Dont forget aero frame generally means harsher ride, less comfortable, maybe not worth it if not doing most of your riding on flat road at 25 mph plus.

Good to know. Thanks.

But isn't comfort mostly determined by the tires and tire pressure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude...you already own a "forever frame"...

Personally, I'd "refurbish" your custom Ti frame you have now and spend the money on nice wheels, tires, and tubes.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased the 2019 Giant Defy Pro Advanced 1. It's their endurance line and several rides into ownership, I am fan. Felt like it was great value and chose it over the Canyon options as I wanted to support my local bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Personally, I'd "refurbish" your custom Ti frame you have now and spend the money on nice wheels, tires, and tubes.

It's interesting you say this. That's been my take the past 10 years. However, a few things concern me:

1) I have a 1" steerer tube. However, I know a framebuilder who can change this.
2) The tubes are mostly round, not oval and/or aero.
3) Cables are exposed; they are not internal. Electronic shifting would help.
4) I can probably reduce weight with a carbon fiber frame.
5) With a carbon frame I can probably increase stiffness where needed, and make is more compliant elsewhere.
6) I have minimal fork and dropout clearance, minimizing the max width of tires and wheels. I train on Conti GP4000ii 23mm tires. I'm not sure if I can squeeze in a 25mm tire - mostly due to short chainstays. This is probably my biggest concern.
7) The bike isn't disc ready. This can probably be transformed with the Ti framebuilder and a new fork - still debating if this is wanted.

The big question is will I get a better bike with a new frame? I'm leaning toward "yes", but . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

It's interesting you say this. That's been my take the past 10 years. However, a few things concern me:

1) I have a 1" steerer tube. However, I know a framebuilder who can change this.

Nothing wrong with a 1" steerer. Oversized steerer tubes and bearings are over-rated IMHO. Put a new fork on there if you want more tire clearance.

2) The tubes are mostly round, not oval and/or aero.

If they aren't super-wide diameter, then you aren't giving up that much, especially with bottles on board.

3) Cables are exposed; they are not internal. Electronic shifting would help.

Yeah...spend some of that "new bike" money on eTap instead :-)

4) I can probably reduce weight with a carbon fiber frame.

Sure, perhaps on the frame itself...but it won't be as cool as your custom "forever Ti frame", and if you go for disc brakes as you mentioned above, then you'll gain back that weight "savings" with a system weight increase on the order of 400-500g.

5) With a carbon frame I can probably increase stiffness where needed, and make is more compliant elsewhere.

Or, you can just let 5psi out of your tires ;-)

6) I have minimal fork and dropout clearance, minimizing the max width of tires and wheels. I train on Conti GP4000ii 23mm tires. I'm not sure if I can squeeze in a 25mm tire - mostly due to short chainstays. This is probably my biggest concern.

GP4Ks run notoriously big. Even on narrow internal width rims, the 23C tires measure closer to 25mm across actual width. 25C GP4Ks can measure well over 27-28mm wide. What I'm saying is...you probably already are running tires 25mm across.

7) The bike isn't disc ready. This can probably be transformed with the Ti framebuilder and a new fork - still debating if this is wanted.

Discs on a road racing bike? Meh...there goes your weight savings of the carbon frame over Ti. Want better braking? Depending on what you're doing now, there's ways to improve dramatically without resorting to separate braking surfaces and more spokes in your wheels.

The big question is will I get a better bike with a new frame? I'm leaning toward "yes", but . . .

That all depends on how you define "better" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Sep 20, 18 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, the guy has been riding the same bike for 25 years! A little retail therapy is allowed. I'm stingy as all hell and I'd even allow myself that much.

I say indulge yourself a bit when the team buy comes around, but leave ~$500 or whatever to get new cables/housing, clean bar tape, new saddle and other things for the Vail Cycle Works that will make it feel "like new" again and ride it to coffee and around the neighborhood. It's absolutely one to hang on to, but that doesn't mean you can't have a new bike, too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next