Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ritchey DS wheelset
Quote | Reply
I have been having trouble keeping these wheels true. They are the stock wheels that came with my Cervelo Soloist. They seem to need truing every few weeks. This is not a slight wobble; they get to the point where the rim rubs against the break pad.

Is this inherent in the wheelset due to low spoke count? Have others had similar problems? Opinions and solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ritchey DS wheelset [awc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you, we've sold a ton of these on Cervelos and then started selling them as aftermarket wheels also we liked them so much. Of all the wheels that have gone out of here (probably 80 wheels in the since November) we had one front wheel go out of true severly. We rebuilt it with thread locking compound in the spoke nipples and it has been fine ever since. As luck would have it, that one front belonged to Michael R. Rabe, a trusted advisor and member of our inner circle here at Bikesport. He rode it on very rough pavement in Florida at the Walden School of Cycling. Not one problem with the rear (or any of the rears, for that matter). Also, Michael R. Rabe has since used this wheelset as his primary training wheel set, including cyclocross training off-road with cyclocross tires. So, to make a long story short (too late) I think they are fine and it sounds like you got a bad one that may just need rebuilding. Once the wheel is "relieved" then you can put spoke-prep on it (a weak thread locker) and then re-assemble it up to spoke tension and you'll be fine. Good Luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like you just may be hard on wheels. So am I and I ditched my stockers for a set of Mavic cosmos and have been super fine. Sell those stockers to someone a little nicer on equipment, they are still good wheels, just not for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ritchey DS wheelset [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What thread locking compound do you use: wheelsmith, DT, Mavic etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did research for a new Triathlon bike I heard of the issue with the Ritchey DS wheelset. I asked more than one bike shop and in forums about the wheels.
One dealer said they had some problems with older wheels. But the new one should be ok?
I have no problems with my Ritchey DS wheelset on my Cervelo One. But I did't ride a lot since I got it in December.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same wheels on a Cervelo Soloist.

With about 2000 miles on the wheels I have only had one problem--a spoke came loose on the front wheel and the wheel immediately went out of true. Of course, it happened during a race but I was able to continue by releasing the brake.

Since then no more problems. I weigh around 175 and do ride on some pretty rough blacktop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember a discussion a while back regarding this subject. Maybe Gerard can help out, but I seem to remember there was a bad batch of Ritchey wheels that got sent out with the Cervelos at some time. I have had no problems with mine thusfar.

dave judice
Quote Reply