Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Risking ridicule here, but I'll ask a question about gravel 1X gearing....
Quote | Reply
I got thick skin so feel free to call me a dummy or whatnot.

I'm looking for a gravel/road 1X set up and I'm finding that Salsa Warbird and Cervelo Aspero frames won't accept a chain ring bigger than
44 tooth. I don't understand why that is. I know that a 1X application on road bikes is possible with a 50 tooth chain ring so what gives?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Risking ridicule here, but I'll ask a question about gravel 1X gearing.... [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
I got thick skin so feel free to call me a dummy or whatnot.

I'm looking for a gravel/road 1X set up and I'm finding that Salsa Warbird and Cervelo Aspero frames won't accept a chain ring bigger than
44 tooth. I don't understand why that is. I know that a 1X application on road bikes is possible with a 50 tooth chain ring so what gives?
The chainstays have to flare out wide behind the bottom bracket in order to clear fat gravel tires. This gets in the way of the chainring.
Quote Reply
Re: Risking ridicule here, but I'll ask a question about gravel 1X gearing.... [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a dumb question at all. Gravel bikes have wider chain stays to accommodate wider tires. A ring that is too large will rub against the chain stay.

I know this because I ordered a 50T ring for my Diverge 1x conversion, and ended up ordering a smaller ring after I tried installing it.
Quote Reply