Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rinny & Tim
Quote | Reply
Have you been watching their YouTube videos? I just discovered them the other day and find them to be very entertaining. Each episode is around 10 minutes long. I think it's a nice insight into what these two put into every day.

Also, I just listened to their (separate) interviews on the Uncharted Podcast. If you haven't had a listen, I recommend them both!
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably get roasted for this but I've watched several of them and find them to be terribly uninteresting. Very different from Gwen's videos which I always find worth watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep have been watching them since the channel started. I like some but not all of them but have to admit that I am subscribed and always click on new videos when they pop up.

@logella - I like most of Gwen's but the shoe reviews are a little boring to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The show started off interesting, but the last few episodes have been painfully boring. Their kid is adorable, but hearing one of them talk about race strategy for 10 minutes or race recap for 10 minutes just isn't my thing. I much prefer Gwen's channel. With Lionel starting a channel, too, I suspect that it will also be entertaining.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel had a channel with over 12k subscribers, he didn't need to hire Talbot, what he needed to do was post content.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Lionel had a channel with over 12k subscribers, he didn't need to hire Talbot, what he needed to do was post content.

That's exactly what he intends to do by hiring Talbot. Good content doesn't produce itself and there's a big difference between the work of a pro and Erin's (all due respect).
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2.

But IMO, Lionel has an interesting story and is such a unique character in our sport that I'd likely watch his content even if it wasn't produced at a particularly high level.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

That's exactly what he intends to do by hiring Talbot. Good content doesn't produce itself and there's a big difference between the work of a pro and Erin's (all due respect).

I disagree completely. The point of Vlogging is you do everything yourself. You can only train so much in a day, he can easily edit a bunch of footage himself and has done in the past. Good content is about the person and not the editor when it comes to youtube. Talbot's very good at what he does, but Lionel only needed to provide semi decent content...oh and drone shots are so overplayed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
vittorio wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I disagree completely. The point of Vlogging is you do everything yourself. You can only train so much in a day, he can easily edit a bunch of footage himself and has done in the past. Good content is about the person and not the editor when it comes to youtube. Talbot's very good at what he does, but Lionel only needed to provide semi decent content...oh and drone shots are so overplayed.

I understand your point of view and don't necessarily disagree. Like cloy said, it's worked for him in the past, both with the blog and the youtube channel. I just think that Lionel has reached another level now and wants to make more "professional" content to please his sponsors, use his Youtube channel as more than just a Vlog like you said.

Take, for instance, Jan who IMHO is the most "professional" athlete in our sport when you look at the whole package - the way he behaves, promotes sponsors, his attention to details regarding equipment choices, etc etc etc. Can you imagine him having an Youtube "Vlog"? I can't, but I can definitely see him having a channel with professional videos to promote his brand.

I don't know if it's the right move for Lionel or not (maybe he could thrive on his unusual profile?), but I think that's the way he's trying to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really follow Jan enough to know if a youtube channel would show us his personality. However, a Sebastian Kienle channel would be fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan's comments in this video, and his results this year tell you all you need to know about Jan... If conditions are at all mild this October look for him to bring down the race record!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGsd4NgnCxg&ab_channel=TalbotCox

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
The show started off interesting, but the last few episodes have been painfully boring. Their kid is adorable, but hearing one of them talk about race strategy for 10 minutes or race recap for 10 minutes just isn't my thing. I much prefer Gwen's channel. With Lionel starting a channel, too, I suspect that it will also be entertaining.

Agreed.

We can only watch so much random training and race recaps, but its usually the same story.

The content is missing a story. Casey Niestat does a good job of this with his YouTube channel.

Problem is that triathlon is very bland, so its hard to tell a story outside of what has already been done. NBC is a great example, same damn story every year.

Talbot is good with video production...needs to develop his storytelling in the videos.
Last edited by: CU427: Aug 2, 18 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
Agreed.

We can only watch so much random training and race recaps, but its usually the same story.

The content is missing a story. Casey Niestat does a good job of this with his YouTube channel.

Problem is that triathlon is very bland, so its hard to tell a story outside of what has already been done. NBC is a great example, same damn story every year.

Talbot is good and video production...needs to develop his storytelling in the videos.
It's not Talbot's story to tell. Which is why you can only be doing production for so many people. Lionel had a following before this and just needed to produce something.

Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric Lagerstrom produces unique content that I really enjoy. It's just a different take on our sport—it's refreshing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the positive comments and all the negative comments. They all mean a lot because they all help. I started off this journey making absolutely no money and now making a living doing it. If any of you have any comments for feed back feel free to give me a call directly and tell me on the phone +1 405 626 2816. Anyone can type words behind a computer. Im open to positive and negative feedback it all helps and I take notes on everything.

Tim and Rinny Show: Take advantage of tourism departments and show destonation races. Less about racing.

Lionel: Lionel and erin just did not have time to edit videos. I pushed them all the time to do more. We decided to colab. But we are actually just documenting for a future project. Thats why its a bit more professional.

Gwen: Just show the journey. We don't like shoe review videos its just requested the most. But mainly just pushing content to show the journey.

Thanks a million for the feedback and im glad most of yall are watching.
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it man. I watch all the videos. Behind all the content, it's obvious your hustling your butt off. You're all over the world. I'm in anyone's corner that works that hard! Keep it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Thanks for all the positive comments and all the negative comments. They all mean a lot because they all help. I started off this journey making absolutely no money and now making a living doing it. If any of you have any comments for feed back feel free to give me a call directly and tell me on the phone +1 405 626 2816. Anyone can type words behind a computer. Im open to positive and negative feedback it all helps and I take notes on everything.

IRT your product, I have little to no criticisms. My only comments are on Lionel already having an established audience that he should have cultivated over time...when I first found out about him he was the only Pro with a youtube channel last year at Kona and had over 10k subscribers but hadn't uploaded anything in months. Also looking at time stamps he was extremely irregular...so truly if he'd dropped something every two weeks since then he'd probably have been over 50k.

I don't know what your agreements are or if you're already doing this...but the people you're working with can just GoPro their lives and upload to a cloud for you so you don't have to kill your body traveling so much...I think you've cut about 20 years off the back end in the last year!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man I understand what you mean 100%. I agree with your thoughts on Lionels page. I would text them all the time to keep uploading stuff. Even to the point Erin and him went out and bought a camera. I think its just people don't enjoy editing or have the time to try and capture content. Trust me I wish every pro in the industry did it. I would love to see more into jans training and how he lives that high class life. Its super cool to watch will smiths youtube.

In regards to uploading content. The service I provide for the athletes is that it will take no work and no effort for them. I do not interfere with any of their training or stage anything. I just shoot around them living their life. Our sport is so unprofessional as it is already. I am trying to at least bring a semi profession approach. We don't see Lebron or Kevin Durrant walking around with a camera. But if you notice at least its making some type of push. Ryf has a youtube now. ;)

Plus I love my job. I wake up every day with a fire burning passion to create content that I would love to see my self. I just hope I can give other people a glimpse into the impossible. I don't know if that answers your questions but just wanted to try. If you are ever at a race or near where I am at I would love for you to tag along. Just send me a dm or something. Cheers man I appreciate the feedback again. Hopefully one day we can move to more of a digital age where sending files is that easy. I am young with no responsibilities right now so I don't mind traveling the world. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:

Tim and Rinny Show: Take advantage of tourism departments and show destonation races. Less about racing.

Lionel: Lionel and erin just did not have time to edit videos. I pushed them all the time to do more. We decided to colab. But we are actually just documenting for a future project. Thats why its a bit more professional.

Gwen: Just show the journey. We don't like shoe review videos its just requested the most. But mainly just pushing content to show the journey.

Thanks a million for the feedback and im glad most of yall are watching.

Wow, lol talk about passive aggressive...

Mate if you want to get ‘big’ particularly in a media based sphere you need to learn to take all feedback on the chin and not call out people to challenge you directly on the phone 🙄

That being said I am pumped about Lionel getting more content out-he is an extremely interesting and likeable character, has a huge potential outside of just the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't be racing for a bit...broken clavicle rehab...but if you're at IMAZ or hanging with Kanute I'll need to pay more attention to that schedule you have lol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck yeah man! If Lionel does what he did the last few years then he should race Arizona. We can totally link up.
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol what he did was literally explain what each project is supposed to be to try and give context, if that's passive aggressive then idk what he can do to be more up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosox99104 wrote:
Lol what he did was literally explain what each project is supposed to be to try and give context, if that's passive aggressive then idk what he can do to be more up front.

You obviously missed the part about him giving his number so people can call him to complain rather than post from behind a keyboard...

It’s basically a ‘I dare you to say that to my face’....
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's passive aggressive to call out a bunch of keyboard warriors, give them context as to the work that he's put out, while still remaining open to criticism? He posted his phone number to a public forum, that's a bit more than "say that to my face," that's literally providing the opportunity to contact him. Which, I might add, you can do via instagram. I've commented a few times and he responds
Quote Reply
Re: Rinny & Tim [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosox99104 wrote:
So it's passive aggressive to call out a bunch of keyboard warriors, give them context as to the work that he's put out, while still remaining open to criticism? He posted his phone number to a public forum, that's a bit more than "say that to my face," that's literally providing the opportunity to contact him. Which, I might add, you can do via instagram. I've commented a few times and he responds

Lol, there is always one....

Really can’t be bothered arguing with you about this. Putting up his number was clearly a ‘I dare you move’ that is essentially pointless. Hell I think Transformers was one of the worst franchise of movies ever made-doesn’t mean I want to call the director and complain 🙄

Why does he want people to call him when he can just as easily get their feedback online? It’s because he doesn’t, it was just an overly sensitive comment in the heat of the moment I’m guessing.

Anyway thanks for the chat Talbot (or Talbots mom?)
Quote Reply

Prev Next