Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rim Rench
Quote | Reply
Curious to know if anyone here has one of these, I could rent from you?

http://www.morningstartools.com/Pages/RimRench.aspx

I somehow dented my Flo 90 in Chattanooga last week and its a pretty minor bend inward. It has allowed a bit of flex in the carbon fairing so it rubs a little on my frame at times.

This is a very interesting tool and could be very useful. Unfortunately the tool maker died last year and I guess he had a patent or something since no one else is making it. I cannot find one anywhere. Such a simple tool for a nice fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim Rench [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the dent is as minor as you state, why don't you find a sheet metal forming place or a paintless dent repair guy and pay them a few bucks to straighten it out for you? They would be able to pound it back into place. Heck, even aluminum rim suppliers (the better quality ones) "straighten" the rims before they go out to distributors or lace it up for the in house wheelset brand (the process is very non-glamorous and a person typically whacks away with a straightening tool...most of the time that tool is a hammer).

I work for place with a in house macine shop and have worked in other metal related manufacturing industries and it can be common place to straighten parts (metal ones) out via this method (new or damaged depending on the situation).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both websites are block here, so this may be a repeat of one of them.

Go to a hardware store and get a piece of 1"x .125" x 6" plate steel. Should be easy to find. If you don't already have one, also get an adjustable wrench - about a 12" should be good.

Remove the tire, mark the start and stop of the dent, and place the plate steel on the outside of the rim next to the dent. Grip the rim and the plate steel with the adjustable wrench, tighten the wrench as much as possible. Now gently rock the wrench handle outward, moving it along the dent and tightening it as needed, until the dent is gone. Make sure the outside of the wrench stays on the plate. Take some 800 emery cloth and remove any burrs from the inside and outside of the rim.

If you are luck and careful you will not damage the clincher tire "hook" on the rim and should be good to go.

The other option is to send it home to Flo and let them fix it. Not sure what it would cost, but it would be better than nothing.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like a mini adjustable wrench plus some small pieces of hardwood might do the trick for you too.
Approx this size:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Rim Rench [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that wrench was perfect though since it had the cut out for the bead. I dont want to damage that. I wonder why someone like Park hasnt picked up this little tool. Cant believe that guy was the only one who could make it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
~C wrote:
Yeah that wrench was perfect though since it had the cut out for the bead. I dont want to damage that. I wonder why someone like Park hasnt picked up this little tool. Cant believe that guy was the only one who could make it.

That guy was a legend and widely considered to be a bicycle genius.

He just died last year.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Rim Rench [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went ahead with the adjustable wrench and tape on the brake surface. It straightened out perfect to sight and can only feel a slight wave with the touch. Now to get the wheel trued and I think it will be ok.

If I can ever pick up one of those rim renches used thought Im gonna snag that up quick.
Last edited by: ~C: Oct 3, 14 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could easily take a Dremel to a cheap adjustable wrench and put a similar "bead notch" in it and have essentially the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know you fixed it already but in the future you could pick up a brake rotor fixing tool and it may work, or with a little work you could probably make it identical to the original tool you were looking for.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply