Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Riding stock or race wheels?
Quote | Reply
I own a set of stock wheels and a set of Flo 60’s. I’ve owned the Flo 60’s for a few years, but only ride the stock wheels in group rides and training. I threw a wheel cover on the rear 60 and left it on for the 2 to 3 70.3’s I do each season.

A fellow athlete told me that I should only ride stock in training because it makes you stronger and you get a bigger lift at races. I also thought it makes sense to avoid damage to my race wheels.

I was wondering how many ride on their stock versus race wheels. I pulled my Aerojacket off tonight and I’m seriously thinking about going balls deep with the 60’s for some local KOM’s.

Should I keep riding stock or just ride my 60’s? I’ve always felt they should be rode to get my money and enjoyment out of them or am I sacrificing harder training if I can ride just as hard on stock?
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my wheels to enjoy them. I don’t enjoy them nearly as much sitting on the wall as I do putting them to work. Sure, they could get damaged but Rolf has a pretty good replacement plan.

As far as feeling faster on race day...I get that from swapping from gatorskin tires to my race tires and tubes. That makes a bigger difference than the wheel, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking the same. I’ll still get a lift when I throw on the Aerojacket.

Parkland wrote:
I bought my wheels to enjoy them. I don’t enjoy them nearly as much sitting on the wall as I do putting them to work. Sure, they could get damaged but Rolf has a pretty good replacement plan.

As far as feeling faster on race day...I get that from swapping from gatorskin tires to my race tires and tubes. That makes a bigger difference than the wheel, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 bikes, my TT bike and my road bike. I only ride the TT bike on the trainer and for TT-specific outdoor near-race training rides. I have a set of HED Jet Black 9/disc wheels that are my everyday & race wheels. When I ride the bike outside, solo or small groups, it has max wheels. I freakin' love it that way.

Otherwise, I mostly ride my road bike outside in more typical group rides or general training rides.

Ride the good wheels always. Life is too short for average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like knowing how all my equipment will act in a race. I also like knowing what it feels like to go x speed on y effort, and not be acclimating to the extra speed in a race.

If you're getting any extra strength or "lift" from training with slower equipment, it just means you're not pushing as hard as you should be when training on your race wheels.
Last edited by: Traphaus: Mar 18, 19 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the race wheels for races (and odd 'test' rides after maintenance to check all shifts OK still etc) and to remind myself how the bike handles in windy weather, prior to race day.
Main reasons really are..

- the training wheels are made of pig iron with a lead core, but are cheap and relatively abusable - useful as some roads here are worse than those in a war zone. (+ robust and durable but draggy and rather naff tyres and butyl tubes inside) . Oh and sit on a turbo a lot (again why naff tyred)
Vs
- the race wheels will get bhuggered senseless on some of my local pothole strewn roads
- the race tyres and tubes on the race wheels are nicer but not as bombproof.
- i can't be asred swapping back and forth every time i go on the turbo. So race wheels kept (mainly) for races.

(I'm a bit old skool with a turbo that drives a drum and fluid resistance unit, not a direct drive.)
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your local roads and how much you weigh. If you weigh 200 lbs and live in an area with potholes, I'd stick with the cheaper set. If you live somewhere decent and weigh 150, I'd ride whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I own a set of stock wheels and a set of Flo 60’s. I’ve owned the Flo 60’s for a few years, but only ride the stock wheels in group rides and training. I threw a wheel cover on the rear 60 and left it on for the 2 to 3 70.3’s I do each season.

A fellow athlete told me that I should only ride stock in training because it makes you stronger and you get a bigger lift at races. I also thought it makes sense to avoid damage to my race wheels.

I was wondering how many ride on their stock versus race wheels. I pulled my Aerojacket off tonight and I’m seriously thinking about going balls deep with the 60’s for some local KOM’s.

Should I keep riding stock or just ride my 60’s? I’ve always felt they should be rode to get my money and enjoyment out of them or am I sacrificing harder training if I can ride just as hard on stock?

Well, 200 watts is 200 watts, you will not get "stronger" by riding 200 watts on a different set of wheels, or a different bike for that matter (assuming same position)

You will go faster with better gear, but effort should be the same (don't look at your speed to pace your effort, and don't listen to that "friend" ever again)

IMO, the only reason you should switch wells to protect them from road hazard, or because they are not appropriate for wind condition. Otherwise enjoy your investment.
Last edited by: benleg: Mar 18, 19 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I put the stock wheels on during the cold winter months, but once the time changes, the Flo's go back on the bike and I ride them all the time. The bike feels and behaves so much better therefore I don't worry about it. If my Flo's cost as much as a pair of Zipp's I might choose differently. As it is, trashing a $600 wheel versus a $200 stock wheel isn't a game changer for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roads are pretty good for the most part. I’m at 149 lbs, so I’m not a heavier rider.

burnthesheep wrote:
Depends on your local roads and how much you weigh. If you weigh 200 lbs and live in an area with potholes, I'd stick with the cheaper set. If you live somewhere decent and weigh 150, I'd ride whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good feedback. I see a power meter in future!

benleg wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Well, 200 watts is 200 watts, you will not get "stronger" by riding 200 watts on a different set of wheels, or a different bike for that matter (assuming same position)

You will go faster with better gear, but effort should be the same (don't look at your speed to pace your effort, and don't listen to that "friend" ever again)

IMO, the only reason you should switch wells to protect them from road hazard, or because they are not appropriate for wind condition. Otherwise enjoy your investment.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about the replacement cost not being an end game situation for a single wheel. I’m coming off the trainer so I might go straight to the Flo’s.

ziggie204 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I put the stock wheels on during the cold winter months, but once the time changes, the Flo's go back on the bike and I ride them all the time. The bike feels and behaves so much better therefore I don't worry about it. If my Flo's cost as much as a pair of Zipp's I might choose differently. As it is, trashing a $600 wheel versus a $200 stock wheel isn't a game changer for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't race and I use the Flo 60's on the tri bike. When I bought the IA16 in 2017, I swapped the new stock wheels to my old bike and sold it so I don't even have an alternate set for the Felt. The Flo 60's have been used in training / riding since 2012 in all seasons and conditions. They even survived a hard 30 mph crash in 2017 and still have not needed truing. They look a little weathered up close by this point, but not too bad for a set of wheel bought back in 2012.

I also have the view of others that a watt is a watt. It is up to me to push the wattage for training adaptation and it just means that if I can get a 100 mile training ride done just a little faster than I am happier. Only a handful of times do I remember getting hit hard enough with a crosswind that it shook me up a little, but those random had gusts would have anyway.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Mar 19, 19 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly ride my stock wheels but will occasionally throw on my race wheels as they’re deeper so handling is a bit different with them when it’s windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the main reason is the potential cost of replacing worn or damaged wheels if you're riding them day in day out.

Also, back in the day (10+yrs ago), tubulars were common and it might be a hassle to be dealing with tubular flats if you're more used to training and riding with clinchers.

Nowadays, with the lower costs of race wheels (compared to say 10 years ago), it's almost irrelevant - it doesn't cost a ton more money to go with race wheels like Flo compared to quality stock wheels. And clinchers are def the norm now. So just ride the good stuff and replace when breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Does your fellow athlete have a lab coat? As in, a PhD of BroScience? Because that's exactly what he/she is espousing. Taking your good wheels off for a gravel fondo is one thing, but thinking that riding your alloy wheels is like swinging a heavy bat before you step up to the plate is ill-founded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life is to short to ride shitty equipment.
I ride on my race wheels because of that motto and love it more because there freaking awesome

Ride hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 4 bikes, 5 sets of race wheels, and NO stock wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stock wheels on my roadie (although I'm thinking of upgrading), race wheels are always on my tri bike. I don't ride it that often outside of racing, but when I do I want it to feel like my race bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the performance difference, the Flos my be more comfortable than your stock wheels if they are wider and can be run at lower pressure. I moved to Flo 30s when I got my tri bike for this reason and haven't looked back.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Ride the good wheels always. Life is too short for average.

AGREE!! Ride the wheels you love!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your training is based on power/HR/duration then what equipment you use in terms of areo benefits makes almost no difference. If you are basing your training on 'avg speed' then it makes some difference. Personally I ride the stuff I spend my money on since my training is all by power/duration. The only things I keep 'race' designation are tires and helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

We suggest riding your race wheels all of the time. You'll get used to how they handle in windy conditions and, why not enjoy the nice wheels you spent money on. All of our wheels are built with durability in mind and can be used on a daily basis.

Enjoy,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [Coffeeaddict87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coffeeaddict87 wrote:
Life is to short to ride shitty equipment.
I ride on my race wheels because of that motto and love it more because there freaking awesome

Ride hard

It's not about "shitty" vs "not shitty", it's about what's optimal for the conditions. Race wheels and tires are optimised for going fast. Training wheels and tires are optimised for durability and puncture resistance. If I'm training on nice smooth roads and dry conditions that don't put too much wear and tear on the wheels then I will absolutely ride fast wheels and tires. If I'm riding on roads with potholes, debris, wet weather that grinds down braking surfaces, etc, then I don't need either the cost or hassle of looking after equipment that isn't optimised for those conditions.

It's like owning a VW Golf and a Ferrari, and using the Ferrari to do your weekly grocery shop because you don't want to use the "shitty" Golf...
Quote Reply
Re: Riding stock or race wheels? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got a point there which i understand.
Situations are indeed a important factor.
I would still go with the ferrari to get the groceries.

Disclaimer i don't own a ferrari

Mark
Last edited by: Coffeeaddict87: Mar 20, 19 2:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next