Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Orlando
Quote | Reply
Will be at the Rosen Resort for a conference the week of Feb 5th. I am bringing my Roadie with me, It looks like there are some decent trails to ride around there. Any Orlando riding gems near Sea World etc, looking to get in 18-20 miles a couple times that week.

I'm tired of the Canadian snow lol so 80f seems too good to miss out on a few rides!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Orlando [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Rosen? I assume either Shingle Creek, Centre, or Plaza as they are the nicer ones.

Regardless of which as they’re in the same general location… have you been to Orlando before? The I-4 corridor between downtown and Disney, which you’d be right in the middle of, is off the charts busy. It’s an endless amount of theme parks, hotels, restaurants, shopping plazas, and other touristy shit. There’s zero chance I’d ride a bike anywhere around there. Beyond the obvious safety issues there’s no way you’d get a consistent ride. You’d be stopping every tenth mile. I’d rather bike through Times Square.

If you have a car and could get away from that I-4 corridor then maybe there’s something. I’ll let Orlando area natives chime in there. You’re going to have daylight issues though. I assume your conference takes up much of the 8 to 5 part of the day. Sunrise to sunset is 7 AM to 6 PM.

You mentioned trails. What trails are you talking about?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 26, 23 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Orlando [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Which Rosen? I assume either Shingle Creek, Centre, or Plaza as they are the nicer ones.

Regardless of which as they’re in the same general location… have you been to Orlando before? The I-4 corridor between downtown and Disney, which you’d be right in the middle of, is off the charts busy. It’s an endless amount of theme parks, hotels, restaurants, shopping plazas, and other touristy shit. There’s zero chance I’d ride a bike anywhere around there. Beyond the obvious safety issues there’s no way you’d get a consistent ride. You’d be stopping every tenth mile. I’d rather bike through Times Square.

If you have a car and could get away from that I-4 corridor then maybe there’s something. I’ll let Orlando area natives chime in there. You’re going to have daylight issues though. I assume your conference takes up much of the 8 to 5 part of the day. Sunrise to sunset is 7 AM to 6 PM.

I found this trail :Shingle Creek Regional Trail (FL) Map - Eagle Nest Park (Orlando) to Kissimmee Lakefront Park (Kissimmee) | TrailLink

It looks like it puts in around 1.8 miles from my hotel.

I have been many times to this area and the conference has some gaps as far as timing goes. You are right ORL makes me nervous, I thought there may be some secret gems that I was unaware of!

Thank you for the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at the same resort with my family last year and could not imagine trying to ride a bike in the general area. In fact, it was difficult enough just to get a consistent run in due to the lack of sidewalks (generally speaking) on many of the roads. It's definitely planned to be a commuter area for cars only with lots of lights. I never once saw anyone on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I found this trail :Shingle Creek Regional Trail (FL) Map - Eagle Nest Park (Orlando) to Kissimmee Lakefront Park (Kissimmee) | TrailLink

I have been many times to this area and the conference has some gaps as far as timing goes. You are right ORL makes me nervous, I thought there may be some secret gems that I was unaware of!

That trail looks fine if you can easily get to it. The other issue is that, at least according to satellite map photos and other websites regarding the trail, the trail is not paved/finished from Destination Pkwy (just north of your hotel) to south of Osceola Pkwy. Apparently only 18 of the 32 miles are paved. Basically, nine miles at the north end and nine miles at the south end. The 14 miles in between is not finished. Looks like you could do the top portion from your hotel to where the trail ends in Eagle Nest Park.

https://goo.gl/maps/VbnyDEu6L3xfUE4D7

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 26, 23 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Orlando [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
davegibb26.2 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

That trail looks fine if you can easily get to it. The other issue is that, at least according to satellite map photos and other websites regarding the trail, the trail is not paved/finished from Destination Pkwy (just north of your hotel) to south of Osceola Pkwy. Apparently only 18 of the 32 miles are paved. Basically, nine miles at the north end and nine miles at the south end. The 14 miles in between is not finished. Looks like you could do the top portion from your hotel to where the trail ends in Eagle Nest Park.

https://goo.gl/maps/VbnyDEu6L3xfUE4D7

Great Info! Looks like I bring my Topstone vs my Roadie!

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Orlando several times. If you have access a car and have time time there is a 30 mile greenway/rails to trails type path a few miles SE of Orlando in Van Fleet FL. Other than that I would not risk riding anywhere near there. As someone else said it can be hard enough to find a decent place to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orlando local here.

As others have said I wouldn't think of riding anywhere near the attractions area. Too many lights and tourists/distracted drivers who don't know where they're going.

I've seen a couple of strava groups riding the back roads near MCO but I've never done it. Your best bet is to get to the Winter Garden/Clermont area where there's lots of good routes off of the West Orange Trail. You can also ride gravel loops near Lake Apopka from either Magnolia Park or Green Mountain Trailhead. Winter Springs/Sanford area also gets a lot of bike traffic
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Orlando [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all the insight on this!
Quote Reply