Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Livermore, CA
Quote | Reply
Hey ST'ers,

Heading to Livermore for a week in September for work and will have my bike in tow. Any recommendations for some nice road rides? I don't mind hills, but would also like some flatter stuff for TT'ng.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Livermore, CA [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live there. PM me. Which part of town will you be staying in (not that this is a big deal) and what sort of distances? Solo or group?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tesla road
mines road
Del valle
Flynn and cross
patterson pass
morgan territory (although it dont recommend the descent into clayton)
Mt Diablo is not too far away either.
I see TT bikes on Highland all the time.. but it's got some kickers.

warning.. it can be windy. Windmills are not for show
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Livermore, CA [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely staying at the Hilton Garden Inn off of 580. Solo riding and distances from 40-80 or longer as I may have to stay for weekend. I will also PM you when the dates get confirmed. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently moved away, but loved every minute of my time there. My "tour de Livermore" was like 50 miles and 5K ft:

Start with over and back at Del Valle, then turn onto Mines and do an Out and back, turning around at the peak of the climbing, then do Flynn Road in reverse from Patterson Pass, then do Morgan territory up to the park and back from the Livermore side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, a lot of Livermore folks on the 'twitch! I lived there four years and miss the riding tremendously, it was spectacular.

For TT:
- Highland was mentioned, yes...in the afternoon especially it's good training for keeping head down in the wind...just long enough where it starts to feel pretty demoralizing.
- Collier Canyon, few cars and if you're riding North (up hill) it's good big gear, aero work...you're definitely climbing but it's shallow enough to stay in your big ring and burn up the quads. About 5 miles, I love that stretch
- Mines Road, turning off Concannon towards Del Valle, flat and smooth with a bike lane, you can get aero and ride %s for 8 - 10 at a time...it's glorious. I used to do intervals there and then turn off (left) on the Mines Rd split when you get to Del Valle Climb for 20' @ 80% on that long climb or you could stay straight on Del Valle for shorter climb (only ~1.25 miles of climb, ~6-8%).

If you want a real treat, Climb Morgan Territory from the Livermore side :)

I also loved Flynn road, my preferred (and the safest direction IMO) is to do it starting from Patterson and heading North over 580.

Damn I'm jealous.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Livermore, CA [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weekday traffic is terrible... if you ride in the commute windows stay off some of these roads mentioned.. PP, tesla , flynn..etc. If there is anything wrong on I580 (which is daily) these roads will have lots of cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Livermore, CA [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on Collier Canyon - if you take it North then Camino Tassajara to Blackhawk to Mount Diablo (if you want a pretty solid long climb). Coming southbound and in the afternoon on Collier Canyon, the winds kick up so definitely beware. And you'll be whipping pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mines Road. Beautiful, hilly, and empty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went out there to see the milkman and milkmaid get married and rode the morgan territory route he described. I loved it and would go out there and ride it again. Like someone said earlier, the windmills aren't for show. It was super windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livermore has great riding. I live there and ride Mines, del valle, wente every week. Stay away from patterson pass during commute hours though. Lot's of hills. Mines up and back to mile marker 3 is great on a TT bike.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply