Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding Chicagoland
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers: need suggestions where to ride from west Chicago (Forest Park).
There are a couple of local groups riding, but that hasn’t worked so far. They don’t share distance, route, etc and with a baby home, I can’t disappear all day.

I’m looking for either routes that I can take right out of Forest Park that eventually become rural, or drive a little, say 30min and start from there hopefully rural too. So far, I’ve been underwhelmed by the cycling scene on the road here although the DPRT for gravel is fun.

Suggestions? And if you can share links to Strava or ridewithgps, even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Chicagoland [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, I live in Wheaton, and all my routes head further west to find good roads.
Right, your best option is the gravel path system, which basically starts in Forest Park to get you further west.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Chicagoland [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes for gravel I’m covered but I’m looking for roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not out-the-door riding for you, but I'm a bit west (Naperville) and generally drive / park at Commissioner's Park in south Naperville and ride any number of routes from there, but generally southwest towards Morris, IL. You could easily park somewhere a bit closer to Forest Park (north Naperville, Bollingbrook) and go from there but it'd start with a bit more traffic. Starting from Commissioner's, I'm out onto open, generally low traffic roads within a few miles, and it's a good location for transition runs. Riding roads are pretty much straight and dead flat, with wind ripping through the corn & soy fields, especially this time of year.

If that sounds like an option let me know and I'd be happy to share my Strava account.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Chicagoland [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a little far but beats Zwift for all rides. If you could share Strava files it would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right on the Des Plaines River Trail in Forest Park. The southern portion (near you) is more of a actual trail. I've ridden it on a CX bike, but there are a lot of sections where you'd be better off on a mountain bike. Once you get north of O'Hare it's great gravel riding.

The good stuff is all up north if you're looking for real gravel roads. And there's a lot of good stuff.
Last edited by: BradC: Apr 8, 19 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/activities/1754827318

Salt Creek Path out to Oak Brook, then you can ride some loops out there if you want to add on a bit. You pick up the path just to the north of Brookfield Zoo. From Oak Park/Forest Park I'll usually head south on Des Plaines Ave to 26th and head west to pick up the path.

Outside of that, there's the IL Prairie Path that will take you all the way out to DeKalb, but too many uncontrolled street crossings to really enjoy the ride. You need to get out past Aurora to the west before the roads really open up.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Chicagoland [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/GT8nwsoZIV

Here's another route that takes you out from FP to willow springs. From there you have bike paths, lower traffic roads and almost no major stop lights, plus some climbing. It's where the state road race has been held a few times, and there are quite a few group options if the wife will let you get away. South of the CITGO refinery in lemont, the path turns to dirt/gravel down to Joliet.

I have a couple weeks free, so if you want some company or a guide on a weekday, hit me up and we can go for a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of weather and road conditions, I almost always ride inside.
If I do, my favorite place is Morton arboretum since I live near by. It's just under a 8 mile loop and I will do it multiple times. The roads are smooth with occasional debris if there's a big storm. I avoid peak times and only have to slow down occasionally and rarely have to stop. There's lots of rollers with a few short steep climbs and semi technical. There is a membership/entrance fee.
The other place I ride is along the I&M canal, I think the city is willow springs. There is a paved portion that's ~12 miles each way, so out and back just under 25 miles. It's super flat and smooth (except when there's a big storm and debris ends up on path). The nice thing is you don't really need to stop. Weekends can get busy, but relatively empty if you go early (just some old couples who annoyingly ride side by side and block path). I've seen some fast guys out there. I often see one of the Every Man Jack guys out there.
Both these places are probably just under a 30 min drive (without traffic) from you. Feel free to message me if you want any more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Chicagoland [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Any chance you can post a link of the I&M canal location? Still new to the area, and googlemaps isn't doing its job too well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind. Found it!
Quote Reply