Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Riding, crashing, and venting...
Quote | Reply
OK, that's a post just to vent...Just back from a 5h30 ride (was supposed to be 6h) 5h in, one of these huge semi trailers went so close to me that I had no choice but to be in the ditch (I was already in the shoulder while riding) and had I not gone off road, I'd probably not be posting here (ever again). Just a little crash, not hurt, no road rash, but still shaking.

More surprising is that, there were 3 cars behind the truck (on the Yakima River Canyon road for those who know the area) and not one person stopped to see if I was ok.

Anyhow, be careful out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well at least you don't have a gun. Otherwise you might not have had the chance to see up close what the dirt in a ditch looks like ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 1, 09 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So everything we hear about Texas drivers is true?

I find trucks to be the least considerate vehicles out there. I routinely get buzzed by dump trucks on my way to work. One guy pulled up behind me and blasted the air horns. I almost soiled my chamois. Do they not think about the huge trailer behind them or do they just not care?

Glad you're ok.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do they not think about the huge trailer behind them or do they just not care?

That is assuming that they don't do it on purpose. You are giving them a lot more credit than I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst for me is the hay haulers. Those guys are obviously just under the "wide load"
limit and as aerodynamic as a brick. You can literally feel the bowshock followed by
the suck.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you didn'r have to go cross riding and into the desert like the last time with the pick up truck!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I live in Washington state now. Moved there mid summer.
I've rarely had any issues at all while in El Paso though. That said, I lived on the west side of EP which means that I rode most of the time in NM.

Of all the places where I lived Gold Coast drivers, in Oz, remain the worst ever. But today was definitely an all time high on the nearly soiled my chamois list.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [JustJulian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you remember that one...for once that it was the morons in the truck who paid and not the biker, it was worth mentioning.

I'm just really curious as to what pushes people to do that...don't they realize that they can REALLY kill you??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's two points in your question:

1. They don't think about you are a person, and therefore they don't get to the stage in the thought process where it arises.

2. They really don't give a damn, beyond the inconvenience that turning the wheel would cause them.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you're still alive, seriously....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of frustrated, underpayed and overworked poor suckers driving those trucks.

On the other side:
Some do it on purpose, though.
Will never ever set a foot in an "Albertsons" grocery store again for exactly this reason.
All 3 close encounters in the last few months were with trucks of said company and I conclude there must be some sort of company-policy against cyclists.
Those guys must do it deliberately (especially on Sundays)

IT sucks to have all that Human Scum on the road.

Quote | Reply
im glad youre safe and made that life changing safety maneuver.

things like this remind me to love my trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely left me more shaken than ever before. I realize that many of them have a tough job and drive crazy hours, often for not much. That said, I was in the shoulder already and the guy went a bit off road and in the shoulder...
Anyhow, I'm alive, so it's all good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out in my area sometimes big trucks go by on the roads with no shoulders and scare the hell out of me. I've never had a close call but it still scares me.

I think some of them don't realize how close they are. If you ever get the name of a company on the truck, call the company and report it.

Glad you are OK. We still need to get together next time out are in the area. I'm always up for breakfast in Fall City or Duvall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this, I'm glad you're okay.

As an aside, I'll bet the River Canyon Road is usually an awesome place to ride, huh?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're ok.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think some of them don't realize how close they are. If you ever get the name of a company on the truck, call the company and report it.
Either that, or they misunderestimate your speed and start to move back to the right too early. I was once nearly flattened by a few thousand lobsters in a semi trailer because of this.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad the drivers pay more attention to cyclists here.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More surprising is that, there were 3 cars behind the truck (on the Yakima River Canyon road for those who know the area) and not one person stopped to see if I was ok.

Everyone is in a hurry. It's all about ME.

Years ago when you would get a flat when out on the ride, or even pulled over to the side of the road for a rest to eat or whatever, invariably a car or two, would slow down and stop and ask if you were OK. If it was raining or lousy weather they would often ask if you needed a lift. These days no one stops. I accidentally tested this last summer with a stop to fix a flat in the pouring rain on a reasonably busy road north of Toronto. 50 - 100 cars passed during the 5+minutes I was there. Not one car stopped or slowed down.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear that.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, these days, you're lucky if a fellow cyclist asks if you need a tube! I've seen that a few times. I've never gone by a rider who is off his bike, without asking if everything was ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, these days, you're lucky if a fellow cyclist asks if you need a tube! I've seen that a few times. I've never gone by a rider who is off his bike, without asking if everything was ok.

Another change - in the wrong direction.

I always slow down and ask if someone or people are OK. Even carry an extra C02 just in case I need to help out someone as that leaves one for me.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or IS it?
I had two flats yesterday

first flat, both guys that went by asked if I needed anything

second flat, guy that went by asked if I needed anything, and I did, and he handed me a c02 cartridge.

so thats 3 for 3, proving that the modern cyclist is ALWAYS is willing to help

science

In Reply To:

Another change - in the wrong direction.

I always slow down and ask if someone or people are OK. Even carry an extra C02 just in case I need to help out someone as that leaves one for me.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Riding, crashing, and venting... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're a wuss......HTFU

I did an 8 hour ride at 24.9 miles per hour, in the mountains with a front flat tire over the last 1.5 hours. This IS ST by the way.

Paul
Quote Reply

Prev Next