Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ribble CGR SL
Quote | Reply
During our lockdown I've been doing a lot of bike shopping.

My current bike is a 51cm Cervelo S1 that I've had for about 7 years. It's pretty low and and I tend to run a fair number of spacers to get where I like. What I'd really like to switch to is a do it all bike. Mostly road but with off road capability.

The object of my desire is ultimately a 3T Exploro, Open U.P. or Aspero but they just are not in my budget. I do see a number of other boutique type brands that look nice but are expensive.

The Ribble CGR SL is one bike I keep going back to. In 105 spec it is $1900.00 new. So what's the issue with Ribble? I don't see much online about the quality. That might be a good thing, if they had big quality issues I suspect it would be all over the net. I do all my own wrenching so an online order is not an issue for me.

On the surface, it seems to be one of the best values in a all road style bike.

Anyone here have a CGR? Maybe I'd be better off buying used and waiting on one of the other 3 bikes I listed?
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same exact boat as you (down to the bike list and all). From what I can tell the only complaint I see online is that the seatpost is prone to slipping. I haven't dug deep enough to see if anyone has come up with a solution, but it wouldn't be the first bike that's had that problem.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I'm in the same exact boat as you (down to the bike list and all). From what I can tell the only complaint I see online is that the seatpost is prone to slipping. I haven't dug deep enough to see if anyone has come up with a solution, but it wouldn't be the first bike that's had that problem.

I've also heard about the seatpost. It makes me wonder if people used carbon paste on the post when they assembled it. FWIW, I've also read that the Exporo had seatpost issues early on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is - where is Ribble in 7 years? And who the F is Ribble?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple points for me on the Ribble.
Overall not a bad looking bike.
However:
435mm chainstays. That's pretty long.
69mm BB drop. I'd prefer in the 75-80 range on a gravel bike.
Reach is quite short in all sizes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
A couple points for me on the Ribble.
Overall not a bad looking bike.
However:
435mm chainstays. That's pretty long.
69mm BB drop. I'd prefer in the 75-80 range on a gravel bike.
Reach is quite short in all sizes as well.

I don't know enough about how differing geometry changes how the bike handles to have an opinion. I do know I'll be more on the road so the BB drop is likely okay for me. Also, my S1 BB is 68, CGR 69, 3T 70. Not all that big a difference.

One interesting thing I noticed, the geometry across the CGR line changes between frame material. Makes me think the carbon might be an open mold frame?

All great input so far. Keep it coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ribble will more stable, less nimble. That's a pro or a con depending what you are wanting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
During our lockdown I've been doing a lot of bike shopping.

My current bike is a 51cm Cervelo S1 that I've had for about 7 years. It's pretty low and and I tend to run a fair number of spacers to get where I like. What I'd really like to switch to is a do it all bike. Mostly road but with off road capability.

The object of my desire is ultimately a 3T Exploro, Open U.P. or Aspero but they just are not in my budget. I do see a number of other boutique type brands that look nice but are expensive.

The Ribble CGR SL is one bike I keep going back to. In 105 spec it is $1900.00 new. So what's the issue with Ribble? I don't see much online about the quality. That might be a good thing, if they had big quality issues I suspect it would be all over the net. I do all my own wrenching so an online order is not an issue for me.

On the surface, it seems to be one of the best values in a all road style bike.

Anyone here have a CGR? Maybe I'd be better off buying used and waiting on one of the other 3 bikes I listed?

Heavy AF...like 24lbs heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...I actually own one. I bought it with Rival 1x and stock wheels which I replaced. I use it as gravel commuter and so far there is really nothing negative that I could say. It fits me just right and I can ride on it for hours with zero issues. It handles and corners well and even a single trail is nothing that it can't handle.

In size L in my commuter setup with pedals, a hub dynamo, lights and lock it weighs in at 22 lbs, which I think is actually quite light.
Ordering and delivery went smoothly with the bike showing up at the promised date in one piece.

good luck.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

They’ve been in the bike business since 1897. I think they’re probably good for another 7 years.
They pretty much started the mail order business in the UK cycling market.
Their bikes consistently come out at the top (or very close to it) in many grouptests across different types of riding.

Maybe hit Google before knocking a brand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the fact you have put the prices in dollars I am going to assume you are American. That will be why aren't familiar with Ribble so a bit of back story may help.

Ribble was Canyon before Canyon existed and Canyon just beat Ribble to international attention (I actually didn't realize Ribble was selling in the US but it shouldn't surprise me). By that I mean its a direct to consumer brand that focuses on value for money but targets the medium to high end of the market. Ribble also facilitates extensive customization which is super nice as you buy the bike you want not what the company decided to spec. This makes them popular in UK for the more serious commuter especially the steel frames. Their Ti frames are also very nice in person as are the TT frames.

This is all to say Ribble is completely legit but value really comes from customizing the bike rather than buying an off the shelf standard option. If you are happy with everything spec'd from other brand then that may make sense in the US in part because the big brands offer better value than they do here in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woah, woah - if you have to google a brand do not knock the one asking the question. I saw one today on Zwift for the very first time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan or Ribble but haven't pulled the trigger and maybe won't for a while because i haven't decided what bike I need next.

The point he's trying to make is just because a brand isn't known worldwide doesn't make it a bad brand. Have you heard of Rondo? I bet most people here haven't. The Rondo HVRT CF0 was Bike Radar's bike of the year in 2019. Another contender for me besides Ribble CGR SL.

Mosr foreign brands don't get a lot of press internationally or at least in the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Ribble was Canyon before Canyon existed and Canyon just beat Ribble to international attention (I actually didn't realize Ribble was selling in the US but it shouldn't surprise me). By that I mean its a direct to consumer brand that focuses on value for money but targets the medium to high end of the market.

I don't know about the model in question, but the TT bike they have is a open mold that you can order direct from China. That is neither how Canyon operates, nor what most of us would consider "high end"
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan just wrote an article about the US market and it fits closely with UK market. The real hot sector is the ~$500 bike and that stretches to about $1500. Then you have a mid category from $1500-$3000 and a high end market at >$3000.

How you feel about a brand or their manufacturing model is a side point to the market the company is targeting. I also don’t see any reason to doubt that the factories which own their molds in Tiawan/China can’t produce top quality frames. We are past peak aero and these factories are very experienced. The company’s relationship with the factory still matters but that’s true irrespective of who owns the mold.
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure we're in peak aero. That doesn't mean that any bike made in 2020 is magically fast. I highly doubt the TT bike (or any open mold TT bike) spent any time in a tunnel. Quality is not an issue for a big buyer like Ribble. In any case, those are different topics.

The point i disputed was that Ribble is like Canyon, when they operate very differently. One designs their own bikes while the other builds from open molds. Of course slapping $3000 of components (Zipp, Di2, etc) on a $200 Alibaba frame will bring it into the premium $3000+ price point. But the only part that is Ribble (the frame) is not made premium by components.

I'm not saying the bikes are bad. But if Ribble is "premium", then every carbon bike on the market is premium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Who is Ribble ?
They're a long long established bike co and shop - been around since the end of the 19th century. Yes 19th. With a Brick-and-mortar shop since Noah was a kid. Based in Preston. That's in ENGLAND.
Started mail order long before most. Same with internet.
They've expanded further in past 10+ years with more brick and mortar showrooms.
Named after the river that flows through the town they are based in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing is it doesn't matter where they are in 7 years. The frame warranty will have expired and the rest of the components are off the shelf.

Other brands that sell much less, such as 3T, don't get asked that question, and they already went broke once.
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
The thing is it doesn't matter where they are in 7 years. The frame warranty will have expired and the rest of the components are off the shelf.

Other brands that sell much less, such as 3T, don't get asked that question, and they already went broke once.

Good point. If you need a new derailleur hanger in 5 years, I think Ribble is more likely to have the part you need than a smaller volume brand (not 3T necessarily. they list a ton of replacement parts on their site).
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Sure we're in peak aero. That doesn't mean that any bike made in 2020 is magically fast. I highly doubt the TT bike (or any open mold TT bike) spent any time in a tunnel. Quality is not an issue for a big buyer like Ribble. In any case, those are different topics.

The point i disputed was that Ribble is like Canyon, when they operate very differently. One designs their own bikes while the other builds from open molds. Of course slapping $3000 of components (Zipp, Di2, etc) on a $200 Alibaba frame will bring it into the premium $3000+ price point. But the only part that is Ribble (the frame) is not made premium by components.

I'm not saying the bikes are bad. But if Ribble is "premium", then every carbon bike on the market is premium.

Do you really think that Dan Bigham (who's know for aerodynamics) didn't spend any time testing that bike?
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...lass-tt-performance/
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...esearch-development/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. Love it. Used it for cross during the winter, and now with either gravel or road wheels depending on where i'm going. Liked being able to totally customise the colour scheme, plus choose all the components including crank lengh... run di2 on it. Seat post did indeed slip for a bit, but seems to have stablised now (which to be fair has happened on every Carbon frame I've had (p4, and Ordu)).

There can be a bit of a lead time, particularly if you are customising paint, but otherwise worked well for me.

Note: I was able to go to one of their showrooms, and see it live, and create my spec with the sales guy, which made the experience super-easy.
Last edited by: tim_sleepless: May 9, 20 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:

Do you really think that Dan Bigham (who's know for aerodynamics) didn't spend any time testing that bike?
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...lass-tt-performance/
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...esearch-development/

That article makes it sound like they tested to optimize the bike they received. Not that Dan was part of the frame development
Quote Reply
Re: Ribble CGR SL [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tim_sleepless wrote:
I have one. Love it. Used it for cross during the winter, and now with either gravel or road wheels depending on where i'm going. Liked being able to totally customise the colour scheme, plus choose all the components including crank lengh... run di2 on it. Seat post did indeed slip for a bit, but seems to have stablised now (which to be fair has happened on every Carbon frame I've had (p4, and Ordu)).

There can be a bit of a lead time, particularly if you are customising paint, but otherwise worked well for me.

Note: I was able to go to one of their showrooms, and see it live, and create my spec with the sales guy, which made the experience super-easy.

Nice to hear from someone who has one. Thanks.

One other thing I noticed is that it is the only one on the list that has a standard threaded bottom bracket. As a guy who does the majority of his own wrenching, that is a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are in the US - i was told shipping is 130 pounds and takes about 1-2 weeks. Not horrible.

i've looked at the Al version of the CGR as a trail/bad roads bike and it is the bike builder option that appeals. Being able to pick the wheels, tires, groupset, and stem and bar types and lengths to get the right fit for a bike costing maybe $1500 (with GRX 600, and mavic allroads) is a great option. At least in the US we don't get to pick bar widths and stem lengths with canyon.

Seem like a brand in transition. Trying to expand a bit more upmarket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Not 7 years yet, but in 7 months they now have a podium finish at the PTO World Championship

(couldn't help myself but bump this and give you a ribbing)

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next