Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Review for Swiss Side Or DT Swiss ARC wheels
Quote | Reply

So look like i need a pair of disc brake wheels... :)

Can't really afford the big names... just wandering if anyone has tried the SwissSide Hardon Ultimate 800 or the DT Swiss ARC 1100 - 80

As far as i could tell, they are essentially the same wheels, except the Swiss Side are easier to get (and cheaper).

Reviews look or and they support the good athletes in Kona... but otherwise there are very few comment on those products.
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Swiss Side Or DT Swiss ARC wheels [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the ARC line are all SwissSide rims. For disc brake, whats to review? You don't have a braking surface to consider. They use basically the same hub. You're looking at stickers, resale value, and price.
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Swiss Side Or DT Swiss ARC wheels [jfranci3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The few "reviews" that found were "very positive"... (ie: glorified press release)

Just wandering if anyone had the chance to test them (aero, stability, durability, customer service, etc.)
Last edited by: benleg: Mar 19, 19 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 80 wheels on my P5. I am a brand ambassador for DT Swiss in Taiwan and receive use of the wheels for free as full disclosure.

I began with the aero data posted by DT Swiss. It's compelling; the performance was benchmarked against Zipp 808 NSWs and the ARCs came out of DT Swiss's analysis very competitively. (e.g. faster in virtually every condition) I would be hugely interested in independent analysis too! DT Swiss worked on the issue of "rotational drag" and used its expertise in spoke design/manufacture to find gains here that other wheels haven't tapped into. They also aero-optimised the hub shape for more marginal improvement.

From there, I can just offer my opinion and experience with the wheels.

1. Tubeless. Easy. Honest! I have used Giant tubeless tires and now Schwable "tubeless ready" tires and both have been awesome. They are quite easy to mount (Not quite as easy as clincher, but not a life and death struggle). I had a front puncture on the Giant tires, and the tire sealed as designed and I was able to ride home. I love the road feel of tubeless too. I have put the bike on airplanes, let the pressure down to around 30PSI and can re-pump the tires with just a normal track pump. Never had issues with seating the bead or spilling/spraying the latex sealant. Obviously, with tubeless, if they did flat and I had to insert a tube, it would be harder than a clincher tire to get the tire halfway off to insert a tube, but it's something I'm very confident can be done and I am below average in my tech ability!

2. Performance. STIFF! On my p5 with magura brakes, I had to open the rear brake to its maximum to avoid rubbing on both 404 and 808s. I do not have to do this with the ARCs, and as a result, my braking performance is much better because of the brake adjustment. I think on "like for like" comparison, the DT Swiss are about the same as Zipp in stopping feel and distance. Aerogeeks pointed out that in their opinion this was an area that had some room for improvement in an otherwise stellar review.

3. The "sail" effect in cross winds and tail. I can really feel the extra push the ARCs offer in these wind conditions. I have ridden my best bike splits (Kona bound again 2019!) on these wheels.

4. Stability. I ride 80 on front and back. I'd probably go with the 62 up front and 80 rear if you are a lighter rider (I'm 75kg). Riding in super windy conditions, I find them predictable and smooth. This is one of my favourite qualities of the wheels.

5. The closing mechanism is not quick release; it's a little slower to remove and tighten, but I do find that I can get the exact tightness that I want. This is not a factor either way in the wheels, just a difference.

6. Sensory I love the quick response and the smooth inertia these wheels communicate to my butt. Really feel fast when you crank hard. The sound of the carbon is unique; louder than my 808s. And if you haven't ridden DT Swiss 240 hubs, the sound they make will be a love it or hate, they for sure are not quiet when you free wheel. I changed the ratchet to the 54T and love the sound. You can really feel the difference on this when you hit the pedals at first, come off freewheeling, and especially when climbing. For a small cost, these are a nice upgrade for most tri riding in terms of feel, and for any climbing, they offer a not insignificant performance upgrade.

When I first tried the wheels, I was very much of the mind that "nothing can beat (my fav brand)" I choose to accept the sponsorship because I absolutely loved riding the wheels and can whole-heartedly recommend them to any of my tri friends. I still own my Zipp wheels, and if the partnership ends, I give the wheels back, so there isn't a huge reason for me to ride them unless I really love them. (If they take them back, I will buy them.)

DT Swiss in Taiwan has been really active in letting riders try wheel sets for a week and sold out their entire stock of the wheels as a result of riders loving them after trying them. The data says the wheels are fast. The rest is really subjective and a matter of personal preference; if you get the chance to ride them, there is no better way to decide if they are right for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Swiss Side Or DT Swiss ARC wheels [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see that the big guys are getting competition by people making nice product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
Good to see that the big guys are getting competition by people making nice product.

I'm speculating, but I think in the aero research game, Swiss Side would be the big guys compared to the aerodynamicists at Zipp. And one point I forgot to mention; my wheels have been excellent in the real world including a couple of really hard hits on potholes. Stayed true and strong, and they have not needed to recall the hubs 3 times!
Quote Reply
Re: Review for Swiss Side Or DT Swiss ARC wheels [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
1. Tubeless. Easy. Honest! I have used Giant tubeless tires and now Schwable "tubeless ready" tires and both have been awesome. They are quite easy to mount (Not quite as easy as clincher, but not a life and death struggle). I had a front puncture on the Giant tires, and the tire sealed as designed and I was able to ride home. I love the road feel of tubeless too. I have put the bike on airplanes, let the pressure down to around 30PSI and can re-pump the tires with just a normal track pump. Never had issues with seating the bead or spilling/spraying the latex sealant. Obviously, with tubeless, if they did flat and I had to insert a tube, it would be harder than a clincher tire to get the tire halfway off to insert a tube, but it's something I'm very confident can be done and I am below average in my tech ability!

What tire do you use on the front? Schwalbe Pro One 23C?
Last edited by: teeman: Aug 18, 19 10:13
Quote Reply