Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers
Quote | Reply
Just got an email from Rev3:

Quote:
Greetings Rev3 New England registered triathlete. We at Revolution3 wanted to reach out to you and give you an update on the Rev3 New England event, currently scheduled for Friday, June 3rd through Sunday, June 5th. Last week you should have received an email asking for your assistance in helping us to find volunteers. As you know these events can’t happen without a team of volunteers. They provide safety in the water, bike, and run courses. They supply water and supplies at the aid stations, support packet pickup, put a medal around your neck and so much more.

For the past 3 months we have called schools, non-profit groups, teams, and many other organizations offering a substantial a volunteer monetary donation program and sadly we came up far too short. We made a last ditched effort to email all of you. We are sad to say that we cannot find enough volunteers (we are currently at only about 20% of our minimums) to be able to put on the Rev3 New England event this year. We are hoping that the lack of turnout is from costs of travel, other events in the area, or some anomaly which would not prevent us from holding the event in the future. We hope to re-visit the calendar, not only of REV3, but also of the Webster Community, in hopes that we can find a date better suited for the event in 2023.

We wanted to let you know that the decision has been made to cancel the event for 2022. We feel that we have exhausted every possible scenario to recruit volunteers. We are hoping, with over two weeks of notice, that you will be able to cancel any travel plans that you may have had or make arrangements to move towards another goal race. We will be offering full refunds on the cost of registration. We are not able to offer refunds on the USA Triathlon memberships, as that money was sent to USA Triathlon.

We would LOVE to have you and another REV3 event. We will have another weekend of triathlon festivities at Williamsburg, VA the weekend of July 9th and 10th. Williamsburg is a great destination race as there is so much to do in the area such as Jamestown, Yorktown, Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens! If you’d like to transfer your registration to the Williamsburg weekend, please let us know by Thursday, May 19. Simply email info@rev3tri.com to let us know if you want the transfer and we will take care of you at no cost. All refunds for the 2022 REV3 New England race will begin processing on Friday, May 20. This may take up to 10 business days to see the refund on your credit card.

Again, we apologize for having to make this decision. With our current lack of volunteers, we would not be able to provide you with a safe, and supported, event for the 2022 season. We know that this is disappointing, but we hope that you understand.

Should you have any specific questions about your refund, or transferring to the Rev3 Williamsburg event, please reach out to us at info@Rev3Tri.com and we will attempt to answer your question.

Stay safe, and be well!
That's a bummer.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. Big disappointment. Was really looking forward to a TT on the track with a weekend race.

Volunteers being the issue is even more disappointing-as that is only a tangential covid issue. I have done a bit of volunteering, but probably not given back nearly enough. I feel guilty.

Will work on fixing this personally going forward-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Not directed at anything or anyone in particular, just wow.

Does this happen to other races, ever? I've never seen this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That really stinks. I wonder how many volunteers it takes to put on a these events? I can only speak to similar issues in our local community with finding volunteers to coach and officiate in the recreation youth sports. That pales in comparison to the numbers of volunteers needed for a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
That really stinks. I wonder how many volunteers it takes to put on a these events? I can only speak to similar issues in our local community with finding volunteers to coach and officiate in the recreation youth sports. That pales in comparison to the numbers of volunteers needed for a triathlon.

Depends, smallest local pool sprint tri I managed to get away with 15-20, but that was only for 50 or so competitors. Typically for a couple of hundred athletes open water and sprint/std we're at about 100 volunteers accross registration, transition water and roads.

The two different official Ironman I've been involved with run at about 2500 volunteers. Most race day, so day before, less day after. But I used to be onsite from Wednesday week before a Sunday race for the 'main' setup and end Tuesday night.
Last edited by: Duncan74: May 17, 22 1:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

This is interesting and I feel it is going to be a trend for a bit going forward. I know of 2 other large events near me that are both short 3-400 volunteers to make the event run. People just aren't volunteering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably doesn't help that this particular race takes place in 3 different days:
  • Friday (from 2pm to 8:30pm) -> packet pick up, cycling time trial
  • Saturday (from 5:30am to 4pm) -> Kids Splash, Sprint races
  • Sunday (from 5:30am to 3:30pm) -> 70.3 and Olympic races

They probably need an absurd amount of volunteers. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not victim blaming. I will definitely do my homework and start volunteering for local races.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Wow. Not directed at anything or anyone in particular, just wow.

I've seen this a couple times. Last year the small-town marathon/half/5k canceled the marathon event because of a lack of volunteers to man those added aid stations.

While not a complete cancellation, a couple of years ago I had a HIM change the bike course from a 1 loop 56 course to a 2-loop 45 mi course for the same reason. Not enough volunteers to manage the extra aid station on the bike and a couple of intersections. From what I remember of that race, the same group of high school kids did body marking, wetsuit stripping and one of the run course aid stations. The single bike course aid station had 2 people at it holding up water bottles. Its a small event in terms of registrants, but looked like they were managing with 10-15 volunteers for the whole 70.3 course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad to hear this - if I knew they needed volunteers, the wife and I would have signed up as it's about 20 mins from our house - not that our +2 would have mattered probably in the end. I'm not on any of their lists so I never even knew they needed help.

I will say usually it's just my wife who volunteers while I race, but I'll take this news and find some other local races that might need volunteers and reach out to give back to the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love how they not so subtly told you its your fault for not helping them find volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll continue to see some of these side effects of COVID popping up. Unfortunately a few factors compound this, and are making many races struggle to get the numbers to offer safe events. Firstly, which people being at different points mentally in relation to what risks are acceptable to them in relation to COVID, some may be reluctant to be in crowded events and areas. This is compounded with the fact that many races relied on volunteers that were older, and that was a demographic that was decimated over the last couple of years with COVID. In addition, with many people still recovering from various interventions and closures of their work places, in trying to re-stabilize financially they have taken on additional hours or jobs, limiting their capacity to volunteer at community events.

It's sad to see this happen, especially when many of us have been starved for races and anxious to get back, but unfortunately there will likely be other races with similar issues (or worse events with similar struggles trying to go ahead with woefully insufficient volunteer bases, since the RDs as well are trying to recover from cancellations the last few years).
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motoarch wrote:
Love how they not so subtly told you its your fault for not helping them find volunteers.

If that's how they communicate it may be part of the reason they failed to obtain the necessary number of volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Ironman Vineman the last year it was run as as IM event and before it moved to Santa Rosa. About a week out from the race they had to turn the 3 loop run into a 4 loop run because they couldn't get enough volunteers to fill an extra aid station on the run course. I also remember being on the 2nd loop of the bike course (and I was nowhere near the tail end of the race) and I actually had to get off my bike at a aid station to grab a water bottle because there wasn't anyone there to hand one out to me.

I don't think the lack of volunteers is an entirely new problem. Just some races are probably able to make some changes if necessary in order to let the race run with less support. I think it just depends on the area, the time of year, and how big the race is within the community. This Rev3 race is new, kinda middle of nowhere, and not long before school lets out for the year. I'm can't say that I am shocked.

Still sad for them, though. There really needs to be more racing options in the northeast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our local Half distance (independent organiser) race took place last weekend. Always sold out, etc. They too were desperate for volunteers - much more so than pre pandemic.

Also had to cancel another half due to combination of low sign-up and shortage of volunteers.
I suspect a variety of factors, but people have got out of the habit in the past 2 years, + reluctance last year to sign for even more races that may not happen or grt re-arranged for a different date (I had 2 races rearranged and landed on the same day last year).

But also triathletes need to also put back in what they take out- waaaay too many seem to be on the take-take-take side of the equation. Unless we want the organisers to pay people to work rather than volunteer. In which case expect $2k IM entry fees instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the struggling independent races, I wish there was a new business proposition: expect fewer wetsuit peelers, aid stations, swag, post race meals, and in return have lower fees. If you pay $300 for an event, it’s reasonable to expect something approaching an IM race day experience. For $150, could you make it work with a few lifeguards, open roads with good signs, maybe one aid station on the bike, a handful of porta potties, etc.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Our local Half distance (independent organiser) race took place last weekend. Always sold out, etc. They too were desperate for volunteers - much more so than pre pandemic.

Also had to cancel another half due to combination of low sign-up and shortage of volunteers.
I suspect a variety of factors, but people have got out of the habit in the past 2 years, + reluctance last year to sign for even more races that may not happen or grt re-arranged for a different date (I had 2 races rearranged and landed on the same day last year).

But also triathletes need to also put back in what they take out- waaaay too many seem to be on the take-take-take side of the equation. Unless we want the organisers to pay people to work rather than volunteer. In which case expect $2k IM entry fees instead.

Triathletes are not under an obligation to work for free, for what a lot of the time is a for profit company. Just like with any business all you owe is payment (the entry fee) in return for a service (the race).

You make a good point that it would cost a lot to pay all of those volunteers (though they already do make a donation to volunteer groups), which would drive up entry fees. But it would also force the race organizers to be smarter about how they organize races. Eg more laps, less aid stations, swag etc which I would be fine with. I’ve done a number of local sprints which were cheap, needed minimal volunteers and were a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Triathletes are not under an obligation to work for free, for what a lot of the time is a for profit company. Just like with any business all you owe is payment (the entry fee) in return for a service (the race).

this is true.

But by the same token, for profit companies are not obligated to put on races at a loss, or even when profitability is below what they are looking for. Compared to most amateur events (running, cycling, sports like soccer) triathlon requires a disproportionately large number of staff, typically volunteers. The novelty of triathlons went away years ago, as did many community based (non-profit) events. Based on overall high cost of entry to the sport (some could say the average triathlete is entitled) the optics of attracting volunteers isn't really good. Likewise, you look at the general shortage of paid labor in this country right now, it is not really a surprise it is hard to find volunteer labor, especially for a 3 day event.

Throw inflation on top of that and I could see races getting really expensive, which leads to a downward spiral of even higher prices (because high entry drives down entries) and/or just cancelled events. Basically this would hollow out the middle, the big-name mega events have the scale to survive and smaller community based events with a simple structure (low volunteer needs or good optics of helping out the community) will survive, but the in-between is much harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Triathletes are their own worst enemies as they expect "a show" at each event now which means the RD's need to pony up more and more cash to pay for all the bells and whistles that new triathletes seem to think is the norm.It is getting ridiculous.

I volunteered for six days at Ultraman Australia this month and that event lost money due to ongoing Covid deferrals and continued upgrades to the standards of the event experience. It cost me about $2k to volunteer for roughly 60hrs "work" and it is testament to the race that they get a core of about 20 volunteers each year who,in many cases,fly in from interstate year after year to help out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Volunteer recruitment and retention had been an important and big challenge before the Pandemic for Endurance Sports Races/Events - now coming back to Races/Events it's a HUGE challenge. So much so that some races/events are shifting some formerly key Volunteer positions/spots to paid positions in the hope of enticing more people to come out!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen this but I'm local enough & didn't know they were looking for volunteers. I think it's right that the 3 day format hurts. There are also good races in NH + MA that weekend.

Does Ironman pay volunteers? Or some of their volunteers? They at least charge enough that they could if they needed to to avoid something like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

You make a good point that it would cost a lot to pay all of those volunteers (though they already do make a donation to volunteer groups), which would drive up entry fees. But it would also force the race organizers to be smarter about how they organize races.

Never mind the direct payroll costs, the logistics of hiring and paying that many individuals, while complying with all federal and state regulations, would add considerably more to the complexity and costs of running an event. I suspect the legal liability for the performance/conduct of "employees" is greater than for "volunteers" as well, which would presumably drive up insurance costs.

tri_yoda wrote:
Compared to most amateur events (running, cycling, sports like soccer) triathlon requires a disproportionately large number of staff, typically volunteers. The novelty of triathlons went away years ago, as did many community based (non-profit) events. Based on overall high cost of entry to the sport (some could say the average triathlete is entitled) the optics of attracting volunteers isn't really good. Likewise, you look at the general shortage of paid labor in this country right now, it is not really a surprise it is hard to find volunteer labor, especially for a 3 day event.

Throw inflation on top of that and I could see races getting really expensive, which leads to a downward spiral of even higher prices (because high entry drives down entries) and/or just cancelled events. Basically this would hollow out the middle, the big-name mega events have the scale to survive and smaller community based events with a simple structure (low volunteer needs or good optics of helping out the community) will survive, but the in-between is much harder.

I agree. Events that bring "cache" to a location (i.e Ironman-branded events) and smaller events that cater primarily to competitors from the local community will continue to attract volunteers. But its really is going to be harder for the mid-tier "traveling circus" event promoters to continue to provide a competitive value proposition. Competitors' expectations of the "event experience" are greater than ever. Meanwhile, local Police & Fire Departments are understaffed and budget constrained, and thus less able/willing to allocate resources to these types of events. Post-COVID, the general public is less willing to volunteer to stand out in the sun all day to help a bunch of out-of-town strangers fulfill their "epic life" desires, even if it means putting a few bucks in the till of their preferred community organization.

Waingro wrote:
For the struggling independent races, I wish there was a new business proposition: expect fewer wetsuit peelers, aid stations, swag, post race meals, and in return have lower fees. If you pay $300 for an event, it’s reasonable to expect something approaching an IM race day experience. For $150, could you make it work with a few lifeguards, open roads with good signs, maybe one aid station on the bike, a handful of porta potties, etc.?

I think we're rapidly headed to a place where $300 is the minimum viable entry fee for even bare-bones events, other than small community organized pool-swim sprints and races where the local government/Chamber/Tourism-Bureau is significantly subsidizing the event in one fashion or another.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 18, 22 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I volunteer when I can because I know the sport needs it to stay alive, but even as I'm doing it I question the long term situation of a support so reliant on free labor, especially when the economy is hurting and free time/energy is less abundant.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Does Ironman pay volunteers? Or some of their volunteers? They at least charge enough that they could if they needed to to avoid something like this.

IM doesn't pay volunteers directly, but it seems obtaining volunteers is the primary aim of the IM Foundation. If your not-for-profit organization (like a church or local youth sports organization) is willing to volunteer on race day, the IM Foundation will make a donation to your organization.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 New England Canceled - Lack of volunteers [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
I volunteer when I can because I know the sport needs it to stay alive, but even as I'm doing it I question the long term situation of a support so reliant on free labor, especially when the economy is hurting and free time/energy is less abundant.

The free labor volunteer model is not sustainable given our current climate. At some point Ironman is going to get stung by this too. Though they might be the only tri race organizer basically immune from this. 🤷‍♂️

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We at REV3 are devastated that we had to make the incredibly tough call to cancel the New England Triathlon Festival this year. Without a large number of volunteers there is no way we could have produced a safe, fun and timely race; not to mention a race up to REV3 standards.

We have been working tirelessly from our home base to attempt to secure volunteers for this event. We employed local staff to aid us in identifying and contacting various school, scout, church, sports and community organizations in hopes of securing enough volunteers. We ran social media ads and as a last ditch effort, we reached out to our registered athletes to see if they could be of some assistance. We offered significant honorariums to organizations for their volunteer time and all of our efforts were not enough.

The New England race requires over 150 volunteers, the bulk of those needed on Sunday for the 70.3 and Oly race. Each day offered volunteer opportunities, broken down into manageable shifts and we are completely flexible with schedules should a volunteer not be able to complete a full shift or complete the exact hours the shift covers.

If you have a local or regional race that you love, or even a national race, please reach out to the race director if you're interested in helping out. You may not see there is an active need for volunteers but EVERY event needs help. And volunteering can be a lot of fun--sometimes even more fun than racing! I recently had a crew team volunteer for a local race and they've reached back out to see if they can work another race as they liked it so much!

--Tava, REV3
Quote Reply

Prev Next