Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape?
Quote | Reply
I have a silly tub question that I know has been covered loads of times.....when using tape to put the tubs on, what do you find best to do with the spare? I find if you take the old tub off and use it as a spare, the tape becomes useless & hard to reuse.

Whats the best method for this or do you have any tips?
Last edited by: IMF: Feb 8, 19 1:57
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular glue is the fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre glued spare.
Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you using tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not use tape if you care about your finishing time.
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for the responses. ...I may have opened a can of worms here but it seems you’re all suggesting to forget using tape and go with glue. Right?

Any tips then please and why do you think it’s better? Is it stronger? Last longer or just easier to pre glue a spare and reuse etc

I’ve always used tape....why? I don’t know !
Appreciate any tips and advise on using glue please.
By the way I use conti tubs
Many thanks and yes I know this has probably been discussed so many times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Regular glue is the fastest.

It depends on your definition of "regular glue". Some will perform better than others. Vittoria Mastik One "properly" applied to both the rim and the tire in thin coats will yield the lowest Crr. Also read this: http://kuktl.dept.ku.edu/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I use Mastik One and glue it on properly all the way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental tubular tires are not as fast as some other brands because they have a butyl rubber tube inside them. Latex is faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Yes, I use Mastik One and glue it on properly all the way around.

Do you then use a pre glued one as a spare. With a pre glued tub does it have enough stickiness to re use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't glue spare tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok and what makes glue faster than tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue decreases the rolling resistance.

The tape is quite thick and flexes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I don't glue spare tires.

Honest Q as I've never used tubular tires: if you don't pre-glue the spare, do you take glue in your spare kit, or is there enough glue left on the rim to hold the spare firmly??? Also, I've read on ST that you can ride a tubby with a flat???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Pre-glued spare : more than enough stickiness for you to not worry about it
- Non Pre-glued spare : nearly the same. The air pressure plus glue on the rim is more than enough to take you home or finish the race. The only situations where you must be careful is violent braking, or very sharp turns with high angle. Means I would not be going top speed descending the Izoard with it ; does not mean I would not descend (!), but I would just be more cautious.
- Riding flat with tubs : err.... yes but not really. A flatted tub usually loses pressure much slower than a tire+inner tube, so you can ride with it half a mile or even more if it is a slow leak, but when it's flat it's flat. Yes you can still ride as the glue can keep the tub on the rim, but I would not do it. I saw a guy finish a race with a flatted tub with approx 7 or 8 kms left, he did finish but his carbon rim did not really like it...
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soll mentioned, air pressure holds the tire on. Just don't go fast around corners.
Quote Reply
Re: Reusing a tub as a spare while using tape? [soll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soll wrote:
- Pre-glued spare : more than enough stickiness for you to not worry about it
- Non Pre-glued spare : nearly the same. The air pressure plus glue on the rim is more than enough to take you home or finish the race. The only situations where you must be careful is violent braking, or very sharp turns with high angle. Means I would not be going top speed descending the Izoard with it ; does not mean I would not descend (!), but I would just be more cautious.
- Riding flat with tubs : err.... yes but not really. A flatted tub usually loses pressure much slower than a tire+inner tube, so you can ride with it half a mile or even more if it is a slow leak, but when it's flat it's flat. Yes you can still ride as the glue can keep the tub on the rim, but I would not do it. I saw a guy finish a race with a flatted tub with approx 7 or 8 kms left, he did finish but his carbon rim did not really like it...

OK, thanks for the info!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply