Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Returning from injury
Quote | Reply
I’ve been sidelined for about 3 months with runner’s knee. Haven’t really done any cardio during that time. Getting back into cycling seems straight forward to easy into. But How do I ease back into running? - went for a run Yesterday (was a 5k run-walk), no knee pain, But everything else was off. Fitness has obviously declined, But another run today, I really feel the tired calves and hamstrings. Do I just recover for a few days, and easy into it at low pace or do I run a Higher intensity run-walk?
Sort of frustration to see the old threshold pace now being vo2max work
Quote Reply
Re: Returning from injury [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
I’ve been sidelined for about 3 months with runner’s knee. Haven’t really done any cardio during that time. Getting back into cycling seems straight forward to easy into. But How do I ease back into running? - went for a run Yesterday (was a 5k run-walk), no knee pain, But everything else was off. Fitness has obviously declined, But another run today, I really feel the tired calves and hamstrings. Do I just recover for a few days, and easy into it at low pace or do I run a Higher intensity run-walk?
Sort of frustration to see the old threshold pace now being vo2max work

Just ease back into it, it might be tough at first, but if you steadily build up without going overboard you will see improvements in fitness quite quickly. Remember your calves/hamstrings etc may not be injured, but they are not used to a lot of running so they may be more vulnerable to injury than normal if you push too hard. Also I've gotten an additional injury soon after returning from injury a number of times, which I assume is due to subconsciously over compensating and putting more pressure on my healthy body parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Returning from injury is difficult. You wanna get back at it but you are also scared to cause another injury. For me, I usually started with a lot of walking with a bit of EASY running thrown in.........so every five minutes, I'd start with a three minute walk followed by a two minute run. Once I knew this was ok, I converted it to 3 run and 2 walk. I kept the two minute walk part but keep progressing my run time from 3-5-7-10 minutes. Once I was able to run a mile, I would walk a minute or two between miles. Once I was able to run two miles, without pain, I figured I was ok, and progressed to more and more running.

During all of this, I'm continuing my injury prevention exercises......for runners knee, that's a lot of squats, side walking with a band, and clamshells. You have to take that into consideration because your legs may stay tired until they are used to both. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just cycle a lot until your knee feels better.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Returning from injury [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Just cycle a lot until your knee feels better.

Me knee is better. Didnt feel it on the runs, muscles and lungs are a different story. And my ability to select the right pace is gone too.
Wonder if I should just go for a run every 2-3 days for a few weeks without any set pace and just see what happens. I guess the muscle pain will eventually go away, at least until I start to do intervals.
What i feel now is pain, not fatigue
Last edited by: brasch: Sep 27, 20 12:53
Quote Reply