Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello jeremyb and All,

What I am struck by is the 'they have been there and done that' ..... a long time ago.

Hard to invent something new.

And the old saw "there is nothing new under the sun".

Thanks for the reference.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this has got you all interested why not pop over to http://www.retrobike.co.uk/ for more retro lusting . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 questions ...

does anyone remember who made those on the fly adjustable seatposts .. springloaded horizontal fore/aft rail with a lever mounted on the handlebars, around in the 90s in triathlon ?

does anyone know what was up with paula newby frasers crank set in kona 96 ? the rings looked huge and the BB was very high and it looked like there were rotating crank extenension arms between the pedal and crank. i couldnt find a pic and didnt see anyone else ever use something like that ... does anyone know what they were ?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2 questions ...

does anyone remember who made those on the fly adjustable seatposts .. springloaded horizontal fore/aft rail with a lever mounted on the handlebars, around in the 90s in triathlon ?

seat shifter

does anyone know what was up with paula newby frasers crank set in kona 96 ? the rings looked huge and the BB was very high and it looked like there were rotating crank extenension arms between the pedal and crank. i couldnt find a pic and didnt see anyone else ever use something like that ... does anyone know what they were ?

Sounds like Rotor Cranks. Not sure because I did not pay tri much attn in the 90's.
Last edited by: dave_w: Jan 17, 10 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a link to the photo you're talking about above but here it is:

You can see the effect of the cranks on both feet - there's a distinct dog-leg between the amin crank and the peddle. I asked the same q their purpose a while back and was informed the idea was to put the ball of the foot nearer the peddle spindle like SMP pedals are supposed to do now but in a more pronounced way. One of the downsides was a big increase in Q factor (3cm or so). I think the rings were so huge just to compesate for the wheels being so small

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Okay, not TT stuff

Imagine my surprise when I showed up to do my first tri in many years in 2001, only to find that of about 180 guys in my wave, all but a couple who were sans wetsuit were in the black slippery suits more like today's. I truly looked "special", and my 45ish minute 1.2 mile swim confirmed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaah seat shifter indeed...now my mind can stop chasing its own tail in circles between swift shift and grip shift...thanks !

http://i32.tinypic.com/23ll68.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks ... thats the setup alright ... doesnt it look like it moves your foot a couple of inches away from the spindle and not closer ? maybe it allows the BB to be higher without changing your leg extension
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jan 17, 10 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats awesome

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it works on the downstroke but if you have a good pull on the other side then you'd be ahead of the spindle...maybe.

One more question (and it's a crytptic one):

I have some old Kona tapes and on one of them (mid-late 80s) Mark Allen appears to have some sort of bungee going from under his saddle towards his bars. It's a close up so you can't see the whole thing and it doesn't look like the seat shifter mentioned above. If anything it looks a bit like the end of one of those sweat catchers you can buy to go on a trainer but the shot never pans out to show what the 'front' looks like. Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Note the Jetstream drinking system!

Edit: The Jetstream system had an inflatable bladder and you had to pump your drink into it. The drinking end had a bite valve and when you bit on it the drink squirted into your mouth. Pain to deal deal with but brilliant during the ride. My old school TT bike is built with internal routing specifically for a Jetstream tube.
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Jan 17, 10 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it works on the downstroke but if you have a good pull on the other side then you'd be ahead of the spindle...maybe.

One more question (and it's a crytptic one):

I have some old Kona tapes and on one of them (mid-late 80s) Mark Allen appears to have some sort of bungee going from under his saddle towards his bars. It's a close up so you can't see the whole thing and it doesn't look like the seat shifter mentioned above. If anything it looks a bit like the end of one of those sweat catchers you can buy to go on a trainer but the shot never pans out to show what the 'front' looks like. Any ideas?

I think Mark tried a strap that held his hips to the saddle to get more leverage/torque, could this be it???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, the seat leash (a steve hed invention) for leverage like in a recumbent bike ... there were also behind the seat drink bottle systems with a padded vertical plate to push off

http://community.active.com/...7/Seat-Leash-web.jpg
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jan 17, 10 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yeah, the seat leash ... there were also behind the seat drink bottle systems with a padded vertical plate to push off

http://community.active.com/...7/Seat-Leash-web.jpg

Someone also had some U-shaped bar that rose vertically from the seat that you were supposed to be able to push back against. It was truly a time where tri restarted bicycle innovation, or at least turned it in different directions. Here's a couple other blasts from the past:

Early Trimble behind the seat cage mount, and dt shifter mount for the Scott dh bar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's it! I am LOVING this thread

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this was the same idea behind this saddle (posted earlier in this thread); to push back upon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C-Record with Deltas and Time Racing pedals....wow..

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's another one on there too, this one is set up 650c front and 700 rear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's in my size to!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh I love this thread.

How could a bulbous front wheel like this be faster???? Hooker was doing the opposite and making custom hubs that were ultra-narrow. I assume the other side of this wheel looks identical?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember when that Moser came out - then Nashbar who at the time had their own house brand of frames tried to copy it with NO success.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rolling resistance should be super low on the rear wheel!

In Reply To:
I remember when that Moser came out - then Nashbar who at the time had their own house brand of frames tried to copy it with NO success.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
rolling resistance should be super low on the rear wheel!

...not to mention the enhanced "splitter plate effect" of having that large(r) "plate" behind more of the rider!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a black hole wheel on ebay about two years ago...it went off for more than I was willing to pay for it; but it would have been way cool...I just remember how the hole kept getting smaller and smaller in the advertizements for it. Here are a couple:

The Bike stream is a pressuriezed drink system that I still have for sale ($30 if anyone wants it). I still have two sets of the bullet brake levers as well...if anyone has a really good project, I would could let you have them really cheap; as I would not use them since I made my own version.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.

Prev Next