Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Retail
Quote | Reply
The whole Mission Bay thing has really got me thinking. So lets see if I am reading everything correctly.

A few things first, I am in no way single out any person or shop. I am talking industry wide. I am not taking about you, your store or your family.

I managed a Walmart photo lab for 2 years and sold cars part time. Walmart gave me hundreds of hours of retail training including two weeks at head quarters where I bugged every big wig for info. In the air force I read tons of corporate and sales books. The air force is very corporate and use terms like customer and provider. For example, The Army was my customer and the air cover I provided was my product. No joke. If you could throw a Six Sigma line into a conversation you where well liked. I don't know much but I know some.

Ok in the retail market as a whole things are moving a way from specialization. Big store with lots of stuff and very little help is the way things are going. People want low prices and are willing to figure things out on their own.

The modern retail customer is my educated about the product and how to buy it then ever before. Take my car selling. It was quite common for a customer to come in and have print outs from the company website about the model they wanted to look at, offers from other dealers, "facts" from supposed auto industry sources like Blue Book (wait laughing at Blue Book. Ok back at It.). They knew what they wanted and wanted to pay the price they had already figured out. Tough customers, my favorite ones to deal with.

So now we turn to the LBS down the street. Small by modern standards, limited product line (just bikes and stuff. Nothing else you need for your day-to-day life.) Ungodly tight margins and an over worked manager. The employees are bike nuts and only think bikes and beer. Very specialized store. Very narrow focused. Now here comes trouble.

Me. I walk in after reading everything Dan, Tom and John has written. Posted a million times on a thousand boards and think I know what I want. I walk in and use my knowledge to explain what I want. Bike shop salesman has been in the sport forever sold a thousand bikes and has never seen me. So whatever is coming our of my mouth has to be crap. Who the works at a bike shop not Mr. Tibbs.

I come in wanting a bike made out of X, in X color, with X components. Joe Bike thinks I'm wrong and having no real sales training says "Yeah great, but your wrong. You need X, Y, Z." Not using those words but you get my drift.

Now we have a problem. Now we run smack into what Dan called "personalities not meshing". I am stupid customer who won't listen Joe Bike is a $10 an hour know it all who won't listen. The sale is on thin ice.

Why? Very simple. In almost every other retail situation the meshing happens to my side. Your salesman will mesh with me. Your salesman knows I could give a crap less about your personality. Help me get what I want but play it my way. Kiss my ass, guide me in your direction by using positive statements, and make me feel important. In other words SALE ME! Use sells skills to make me fill like I was right the whole time and you get me exactly what I need.

I think there is a disconnect between the modern LBS and the modern customer. Dan had used the terms "give" and "take". You can pull the dictionary out and say he is right but we are in the realm of human emotions here. In every day language "give" means no charge, "take" means no money handed over. At the point of sale I "pay" for the bike and the shop "sells" it. I give currency I receive product. No one is doing anybody in favors. I just think the words show the disconnect.

Another point disconnect is the history of the sport. X shop and X bike builder built the sport. They are the pillars. Well to be straight I don't care when it comes to handing over my money. I could give a flip less about who did what. Know why? Someone else would have done it. There was money to be made. Not much but some. When it comes to my green back I am the one who matters and if I need to be cuddled and talked all pretty too then damnit that’s what I want. All the Ironmans and halls of fame in the world will not change that.

Old sales saying "Rule one: The customer is always right. Rule two: See rule one."

I am not finishing up right now. I want this to be an opened conversation because I am trying to learn. I want into the business and my mind is a sponge.

What are your thoughts?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BUMP!

Work with me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No sales people on ebay. Research and then bid on what you want.

For me it was necessity to become an educated consumer. Living in a rural area I don't have a LBS anywhere nearby.
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selling stuff for the last 7 years has taught me that your not always going to connect w/ every customer. Thats when you say something along the lines of I understand what your looking for but Billy Bob knows a bit more about the product line than I do. Please allow me to go get him to assist you. When I worked retail sales we did that and rarely had a customer that one of us couldn't make a sale to.
In my territories if the person wants XYZ and we can offer ABC and it is comparable, I try to position ABC as comparable to XYZ.
LBS's always seem to have enthustic people who know lots about bikes but can't sell well. I'm willing to bet with a few hours of training your LBS increases it's profit margin 1.5-3% by not having people lose sales by putting them on thin ice due to personality conflicts.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, interesing analysis Tibbs. Good.

First off, I see the evolution of retail slightly different. I think retail is becoming highly polarized: The big box stores such as WalMart are kings of the commodity items like toilet paper and cat food.

The middle sized retailers are history. They are gone. They don't offer the service of the little, corner specialty retailer or the prices and selection of the big box retailer. They are the endangered species.

The specialty store is growing stronger: The place that is a resource to the customer for a non-commodity, specialty item that is considered "exotic" in the normal realm of commerce- any bike over $300 for instance. These stores, if they sharpen their game, are only going to do better (i.e., increase gross sales and margin).

It takes work though. There is a lot of value to what you said about intereacting with customers. The customer IS king, even when they are wrong about things. They are still the ones with the right and privlege to make their buying decisions- and the retailer must respect that right and privelege as sacred and honor it.

Customers- bless their hearts- ask for some pretty stupid things. But I will give them to them with the very best of my ability and with my compliments and support. It is their prerogative and it is my livelihood.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you said, Tibbs.

It bugs me that some people expect me to think the bike/tri industry should operate to a different set of standards than other retail industries.

It was perceptive on your part to notice the "give" and "take" thing. I don't care what anyone says, noone in the industry is "giving" me anything- they're selling it to me. There's a HUGE difference, and it goes beyond semantics. I am not a charity case, and noone is giving me a handout. Bike manufacturers, distributors, retailers, clothing makers, and yes, even race directors, are in it for the money. That isn't to say that they're all purely mercenary, or that money is the only thing motivating them, or that they're greedy, or anything of the sort. However, they are all trying to earn a living- ie, make a profit. And I have absolutely no problem with that, but I am not going to accept the notion that they're all doing me a huge personal favor, or they're all candidates for sainthood. They're not.

When my local LBS starts giving away free bikes, I'll start writing haikus of gratitude to them. I swear. Until then, it's a for-profit business like any other that wants my business, and I expect them to act like it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Last edited by: vitus979: Mar 9, 04 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a retail store with a special focus on running shoes. Our service and our expertise are our entire differentiators, period. Everything on our walls can be had on the internet for less money. Most of our customers do not know exactly what they need, respect our advice, and walk out with the right product for them, and are happy enough with the result to tell their friends to come see us when they need shoes. We know we're good but not perfect, so when we've made a mistake we work hard to correct it.

Occasionally we get a customer who tells us they know what they want. We listen. We (important point here) ask why they want what they say they want. Often they're right. Just as often they're not. When they're not, it's for one of two reasons: either they were misinformed by a source they thought they could trust, or their image of themself does not match reality.

When they're wrong, we're as up front as we can possibly be, as politely as we can possibly be. If we disagree with the customer's assessment, we'll (politely) tell them why we disagree, but leave the final choice to them. In some cases, it's just difference of opinion and who are we to tell them what they should like? But in a very few cases, the customer is really going to hurt themselves. This is a difficult situation, to which we have devised a difficult resolution.

Why difficult? Because whether we recommended the shoes or not, the customer bought them from us. Therefore, when their knees start to ache, their ankles hurt, or they develop plantar fascitis, they're going to blame us, not themselves. They're most likely not going to tell their friends "I went to JackRabbit and even though they told me five times not to buy this shoe I did and now I'm paying for it." They're most likely going to say that those idiots at JackRabbit sold them the wrong shoe.

Therefore, if a customer insists they want a shoe that we emphatically believe is wrong for them, we write down the name, size, and width of the shoe we recommend, the name, size, and width of the shoe they have chosen, and direct them to roadrunnersports.com. Yes, we will refuse to sell them the wrong shoe. If they're so convinced that's the shoe they need, they don't need us anyway.

I have done this twice in the past three months. Both times the customer stopped in their tracks. When was the last time someone refused to sell you something? How would you react? One of them left and bought the shoe of their choice from RRS. I know because he was in the store last week asking for our advice because he had to return them. The other bought the shoe we recommended, came back three weeks later to thank us for being so insistent. Now she is not only a loyal customer, she is a walking advertisement for us.

We compete with big box stores and national chains and franchises and web-based companies who can beat us on price every time. Our service and our expertise are the only things we have, and that's why we don't always trust the customer who comes in claiming to know exactly what they need.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee's approach is the right one. It is the approach of responsibility.

HOwever, it comes at a price. In the thread on "elitism" a few weeks ago that got a lot of time and readership on this forum there was an underlying theme of. "Retailers should subjugate themselves to the almighty customer."

Well, the customer is king- they are central to the business's survival. But we have done what Lee suggests and given people a "no-fit" on a certain bike or sent them packing elsewhere. I know those people's opinion of us and me is not very high. They will say things like "they think they know it all" or "They are elitist". That isn;t fair to us. We are trying to safeguard their interests and ours- we need to preserve our credibility by not putting people on the wrong equipment.

A guy want to buy a Cervelo P3 with drop handlebars and a triple (actual case). We refuse to sell it to him since that is not an apprpriate or even mechanically sound use of the bicycle frame.

That makes me an asshole? That makes me elitist? Does it? I am asking sincerely. Incidentally, we did not sell the customer that bike, but they did attempt to buy it elsewhere.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<A guy want to buy a Cervelo P3 with drop handlebars and a triple (actual case). We refuse to sell it to him since that is not an apprpriate or even mechanically sound use of the bicycle frame.

That makes me an asshole? That makes me elitist? Does it? I am asking sincerely. Incidentally, we did not sell the customer that bike, but they did attempt to buy it elsewhere.>>

Better to be called an "elitist" than a whore...

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That makes me an asshole? That makes me elitist? Does it? I am asking sincerely."

No asshole or elitist but confusing. I want a P3 with drop bars and a triple. Honestly what the hell buisness is it of yours? This guy goes to a group ride and says he bought it from you are the people going to say "Why did Tom sale that to you?" No they going to say "Hey asshole whats up with the drop bars?"

Sure the image of your store in incredibly important but what is your point of no sale? What if I want a P3 frame with Sora and a big ass squishy seat? Are you going to say no then? My money why not give me what I want?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This brings up another recent situation I will bend your guy's ears to help me with, as my conscripted business consultants.

A woman and her husband wanted to buy a Felt B2. She spent quite some time making her decision and we advised her a different bike availabel in a wider size range would be more appropriate.

But she wanted a Felt B2. Period.

Now, the closest thing to fitting her was substantially off. Specifically, with the Profile Carbon X bars the reach would have been too long for her torso length. She also wanted 700c wheels but she was far too small for them in the B2. We wold have had to get her the smallest B2 and replace the seatpost and handlebars, stem, aerobars and cables to get an apprpiate reach measurement, and even then I dont think the dimensions would have been absolutely the best. I think we would have put both wheels on the bathroom scales with her on the bike and found out 65% of her weight was still onthe rear wheel. Not good.

We explained this to her and her husband. WE were articulate and courteous and pleasant and diplomatic.

But she still wanted a B2.

Luckily, Felt had nothing to sell her at that time. She did not buy the bike from us that would have fit her correctly (perfectly actually) from another manufacturer. Mostly becasue she didn't like the appearance of the other bike.

We sent her packing with our (sincerely) poliite apologies.

What do you think she says to people about us?
Did we do the right thing?
I think we did but I think she has bad things to say about us- basically, "They didn't give me what I wanted."

But what she wanted wouldn't have worked for her, and it would have been a waste of $3000+, and it would have been a bad reflection our store.

How do we handle that?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whew- we're no longer sharing a brain. Not sure which of us got sole possession.

Yeah, you were wrong not to sell her the bike.

Advise her why you don't think it's the right bike for her. Offer her better alternatives. Beg and plead, if you want. But in the end, it's her decision.

Why? For the same reason Bjorn shouldn't pay too much attention to all the people saying his bike is set up wrong. She's the one who has to ride it. Maybe she's right and maybe she's wrong about what's best for her, but when it comes down to it, she's still the one in the best position to know. And it's her nickel.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, good point Tibbs,

A P3 with a triple will not shift well at at, or may not even shift, and the crossover gears will be extremely poor- very noisy and a lot of chain rubbing due to the short chain stays.

The bike wasn't designed for drop bars, so the drop position is way too low, it could adversly affect bike handling and rider visibility and comfort.

Aside from the implied ethical ramifications of selling someone a bike that does not suit their riding style or goals and will not be mechanically sound, there is a liability issue here.

Remember, I'm the guy who was sued for over $1 million for "Failing to warn a customer adequately about the dangers of riding in an environment that may contain vehicular traffic." (I'm serious).

Selling a P3 with a wide saddle is fine- it does not pose a risk of injury or a mechanical problem. Selling it with a triple poses a mechanical problem (poor chain line). Selling it with drop bars may pose a safety problem (customer's upper torso is too low for responsive bike handling and adequate visibility in a traffic environment, bike was not intended to be equipped this way by the manufacturer).

So, as another poster put it so eloquently, better to be elitist than a whore. Especially a whore with another big lawsuit.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting vitus979.

I am responsible for this woman's safety to a degree. To the degree that we send her out the door on safe equipment- safe RACING equipment intended for predictable handling at racing speeds.

A man comes into an auto dealership with a child seat. "My child loves the feeling of the wind in her hair, she is two. Can you bolt this child seat to the hood of my car?" Do you do it? After all, the customer is always right.

A client at a skydiving venue wants to skydive on an overcast day with winds on the drop zone over 20 mph. He is willing to pay double to jump on a marginal weather day. Do you do it?

A person that wants to buy a bicycle, an entry level rider, wants a bicycle that will handle poorly becasue it is too long for them and they can't reach the handlebars adequalty and have to release their grip to shift gears. They cannot safely let go of the bars to use their water bottle cages but they have expressed an interest in doing an Ironman, where the rules say you must have two bottle cages. Do you sell it to them?

Some people may say these are tough questions. To me the answers are clear.

It is irresponsible for us to sell dangerous and inappropriate equipment. Just as it is a felony for a gun dealer to sell a mental patient a firearm or a minor alcohol or cigarettes.

The differences are the dangers presented by firearms and cigarettes are easy for the laymen to understand. The risks posed by inapprproiate triathlon racing equipment such as an ill-fitting bike, poorly sized helmet or incorrect wetsuit that could contribute to a drowning are much less conspicuous and obvious.

Customer service means serving the customer. It means safeguarding them. It means responsibility and integrity. It means protecting them from an obvious (to a trained person)risk, espeicailly when it is apparent the customer has an inability/unwillingness to recognize the risk on their own, therefore putting them at an even greater risk.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I see your points but a few things. Does poor shifting quality lead to crashes? I have eaten my fair share of asphalt but not to do to poor shifting. Also if the drop bars would have been too low then a riser stem would bring them up to par.

The B4 lady. Was she really in danger? Would the fit have been so bad that there is no way on Earth she could have remained up right?

I sense a combo of over precotion do to the lawsuit (can't blame you) and ego. No piece of shit is going out my dooor. Those are all fine and good. I just think refusing a sale will cost you more in the end than a crappy fit.

Quote Reply
Re: Retail [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with both Tom and Vitus979 on the case of the Felt B2. In the case of should you have sold her the bike if it was available? Yes, the bike is a physical object which you do not manufacture. Should you have stood behind the bike with your normal fit , refit, tune up policy? No way, at that point you are putting your reputation and the professionalism of your bike fit policy on the line. If she wants the bike sell her the bike, but if she wants to have a bike that does not fit, fitted, she will have to go elsewhere. Similiar answer to what the aforementioned shoe shop does but this way you get to make the sale.

I work for a martial arts studio, we are the best in the area at what we do, we are the most professional, best equipped, and have the highest teacher to student ratio in the area. We are also the most expensive by a considerable margin, at least double the next closest school. We are also the school with the highest enrollment. People are willing to pay for quaility, I don't know how many times I have seen someone leave our school after hearing tuition rates with the intention of going elsewhere thye are back in a month or two, usually with a story about the other guys that makes me think of the old days when everybody taught with a bamboo rod and puking during the conditioning portion of class was nornal. Point is don't sacrifice what you have, don't be the other guy, or you might as well be a Sprawl Mart.

On a lighter note welcome back Tom.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Retail [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You did the right thing by not selling her the bike. She probably does not understand why, and so she is probably telling her friends that you refused to sell her the bike she wanted. Bad all around.

The very hardest part about customer service is convincing a customer who is wrong that they are wrong. Sometimes it cannot be done. I wish I had a recipe to give out -- hell, I wish I had a recipe that I could keep secret!

Bottom line is that you lost one sale, and depending on how many friends she tells you may have lost several. But you are the most respected bike shop within several hours driving distance, and that reputation has gained you far more sales than you have lost with this one customer. That is the P&L of the business model you have chosen. Whether you would make more money selling every bloke who walked in whatever they wanted with a minimum of service is a very good question. Fortutunately or not for you, I don't think you're the kind of person who could run your business any other way.

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sure the image of your store in incredibly important but what is your point of no sale?"

no image = no sales

It's a long term thing. No point in sacrificing your ethics and integrity for a sale. It will eventually come back to bite you.

And not just in retail. I've turned away chiropractic patients who refuse to listen to my recommendations for course of treatment. I had a guy in one time who told me he had neck pain for 13 yrs. He didn't want me to examine or to x-ray his neck. He told that he just wanted me to "crack his neck" just one time because somebody told him that a chiropractor would help. So he thought he would give it a shot as a one time deal. I told him that I wouldn't touch him until I first did a proper examination to understand what we were dealing with and to rule out any possibility of a more serious condition that might have been beyond my scope of practice, in which case he would have been referred out to an appropriate specialist. If my exam concluded that he was a candidate for chiropractic care, then we'd set him up with an appropriate treatment plan. Reasonable? Nope. He still insisted that he didn't want an examination but that I just take his neck and give it a "crack" just one time only so he could see if chiropractic works.

I then asked him to leave the office.

I can see a parallel, although probably to a lesser degree in retail. If I was Tom, I wouldn't want some guy with a poorly fitted P3 with drop bars and STI telling everybody that he had purchased a bike set up like that at his shop. A sale yes, but credibility has just gone out the window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lee and Cerveloguy. I appreciate it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commendable - highly commendable. I say let them call you elitist, stuck up, asshole, or whatever. You have a duty to protect your customers from injuring themselves (within reason), but more importantly you have a duty to yourself and your employees to maintain a high degree of respectability in business, which will keep you in business.

Were you to sell an inapropriately fit pair of shoes to a customer and the customer were to hurt him or herself and blame you, not only would you lose any future sales from that person, but you would also suffer a loss from all of that persons friends, coworkers, relatives, and anyone else in that person's social circle. Surely that is far more damage than what you might recieve if they went out and told their friends that "the jerks wouldn't sell me the shoes I wated - elitist pricks!". Although in either case you would recieve some bad press, it is highly likely that an injured and unhappy customer would make his or her voice heard far more than a slighted and therefore unhappy customer.

Case in point - I got burned by a shipping company over TEN years ago, and have never let it go. I still tell the story of how they ripped me off, and advise everyone I know to not use them for anything even remotely important or valuable. It may be petty, but I'll take that bitter pill to the grave. Now - had they told me that they couldn;t service my needs, I may not have been hapy with them either. But I surely wouldn't still be talking about it 10yrs later!

Same goes for Tom D. I applaud any and every store that refuses to make a sale on morally just grounds, and would happily shop there were it convenient.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For once I would have to agree with Tom on this one. Obviously he is an ethical businessman that truly cares for his customers weither they believe it or not. Ultimately, it is the customers choice. However, Tom is basically in a Lose/Lose situation. Either he sells a customer a bike that really doesn't work for them and gets bad-mouthed for doing so, or doesn't make a sale to an ignorant/uneducated customer. In both situations, Tom can not win. I guess I would rather be turned away than be sent home with something that is a pile of shit(P3 situation).

In my instances, I would love to be able to come to a shop like Tom's. However, I am stuck with the local dumbshits that think that their $300 Cannondale's are top of the line and can't fix my carbon fiber Trek. There idea of fixing shit is to start by looking at part's ABC and slowly start replacing them until they get to part's XYZ. Ultimately, they found nothing to be wrong with it. However, it still shakes at 30-35mph. It wasn't until I made the phone calls did I get somewhere and got the shit fixed. It is so bad somedays when I have left there that I have to wipe the drool of my Hed 3's. Service like this is why I did not have my Trek TT built through this place. I guess I had to learn the hard way, much the way some of the customer's Tom has turned away.

Quote:

Yes, Clinchers are race wheels!
Quote Reply
Back to piont. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright leaving case by case examples aside where is the future of the LBS going?

Quote Reply
Re: Back to piont. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Future of the LBS? Good question Tibbs.

There are a lot of tools at the disposal of the LBS retailer to grow their business. The Internet being one of the most conspicuous, but less conspicuous (although equally important) ones include better supply chain management and better inventory management.

John Cobb had a visionary idea along with Cody Smith for their expansion of Bicycle Sports with a central distribution facility shipping out to the LBS satelites in remote locations around the U.S. This was very smart planning. It is an excellent tactical and strategic vision for the small retailer, effectively making the small retailer big but still keeping them light on their feet.

The key to small, specialty retail is the ability to change rapidly and adapt to market needs. However, the retailer needs to have his/her ear to ground to hear the train coming down the tracks to know what the next change is going to be.

The death of a small retailer is an inability/unwillingness to change. Small LBS retailers who do not adapt and embrace the new tools at their disposal for marketing will disappear. It is natural selection.

It is easier than ever for the small LBS to succeed and marketing is easier and less expensive than ever also, as well as more effective.

I remember Dan Empfield trying to convince me 7 years ago that our store needed a website. "I don't know Dan..." was my response. He told me, "Without the Internet small retailers don't stand a chance. You need to have some kind of website- some kind of online presents. It will be a necessity..."

How right he was.

If the LBS can adapt and change with lightening speed to the ever changing market conditions it will survive and remain an effective and attractive buying experience for the consumer. If not, it will parish.

The strong, fast, well-trained and highly motivated ones will survive and prosper- filling in the gaps left by the weaker ones who fail to move like lightening and sound like thunder.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Back to piont. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love you Tom! That is what I am thinking. I need more input though. Come on people where are you at with your LBS? What is going on? What are you wanting? What are you feeling? Just post damn it!

Did I mention how smart Tom was?

Quote Reply

Prev Next