Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Restless Leg Syndrome - Calf Compression
Quote | Reply
Finally went to the doctor about leg issues after biking and run/long walks. Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. He suggested calf compression sleeves.

Any brand, shop recommendation

What should I look for?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome - Calf Compression [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a moderately severe case of RLS and have never heard of using calf compression sleeves to help the symptoms.
Tri-Bum wrote:
Finally went to the doctor about leg issues after biking and run/long walks. Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. He suggested calf compression sleeves.

Any brand, shop recommendation

What should I look for?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Compressport which I just bought and a pair of CEPs that I love. The key is making sure you get em tight enough. They should make you swear at least once per foot when you put em on.

I use em on long runs or on plane rides.

However, the reason I’m commenting is because my dad has RLS really bad and this is an interesting idea I would like to learn what others have to say about. I may send him a pair.

So, in short......bump.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome - Calf Compression [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you treat your symptoms?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
How do you treat your symptoms?

I take ropinerole - I have for years. It works ok, but not great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check your iron levels too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
supplementing with magnesium took care of mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom has been dealing with RLS for years. She just went to a RLS symposium where patients could connect with experts. She's pretty excited about different treatments she learned about. The big takeaway for her was to go to an expert. There are centers of excellence around the country. She found a doctor a few hours away she is going to meet with.

Here's a link to the symposium https://www.rls.org/...involved/18symposium. I think it's a cool idea to have a conference where patients can connect with experts.

I'm not sure how this plays out for triathlon. I would try to stay ahead of it as it's really impacted my mom's quality of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome - Calf Compression [redneck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redneck wrote:

Seconded this. Magnesium malate specifically. Taking 400mg before bed has really made a difference for me. Even more noticeably when I'm not in the middle of hard training cycles.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m now on gabapentin / neurontin for my RLS + occasional iron supplements. I was on Mirapex but the side effects were so horrible I’ll never touch that stuff again.
Quote Reply
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome - Calf Compression [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abbottj123 wrote:
redneck wrote:

Seconded this. Magnesium malate specifically. Taking 400mg before bed has really made a difference for me. Even more noticeably when I'm not in the middle of hard training cycles.

+1. Calms my legs and I also sleep better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Philly and was running 40-50 miles a week, I used to wake up in the middle of the night with an uncontrollable urge to go for a run, a walk, a ride, anything just to get out of the house.

Of course, it may have had less to do with Restless Leg Syndrome, or over- or under-training, iron levels or vitamins, and more to do with trying to escape from the misdiagnosed bipolar coke whore I was living with at the time

[at least she didn't try to kill me, so I thank her for that]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply